Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I will be riding a Kawasaki Ninja 250 on March 29th up to UC Santa Cruz, as I am a student there. It will be a trip a have to do with only having the bike for 4-5 days and 2 weeks of riding experience. I had a few questions and I was also hoping th Appvn at maybe some of you who have completed this trip might share their experiences with me; furthermore, give me some tips for the road.
My first question begins with: I have heard many opinions that Kawasaki Ninjas are suitable and definitely doable for highway usage; on the contrary to popular belief, they maxed out and were terrible for highway usage on long distances. I will not complete this trip often; however, I want to know that if I wanna go home once in a while I won't have to completely dread it. SHAREit
Second Question: Similarly, to wanting to take a trip to LA, I also would like to go to bay area/SF once in awhile. It's not nearly as long of a trip but I've also heard that riding in windy conditions as well as riding around there specifically can be dangerous because of the lean it creates?? I also heard this from a 2-3 year experienced rider who goes to UCSC and owned a 250 and said he had some close calls where he almost got pushed off the road. I took this with a grain of salt because the reason he doesn't ride anymore is that he had many near accidents and he valued his life and other things too much to ride.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm not gonna lie to you. It's 300+ miles. It's a 250. Will you make it? Without a doubt, so long as you stay focused and safety-minded. But, will you suffer? Oh yes, my friend... oh, yes. It's just a question of how much you can take. When I was 22 -- no sweat. At 67 -- well, I'd survive but I'd take 2 days to recuperate.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I haven't ridden in California, but seems like that should be about 350 miles depending on the route you take. Don't push it, take breaks before you get sore, relax and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stop early and plan your trip -- when I was young (once upon a time...) I used to ride my P11 Norton all over the country -- was like riding a buckboard, the seat was essentially an upholstered piece of sheetmetal, but I was early twenties, the gas tank never allowed much more than 95 miles at a time, and it all worked... ride smart, ride safe and it can be quite enjoyable, but at 300+ miles it is a longer jaunt than many weekenders ever ride, so think/plan accordingly.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
Take the trip up to the bay first. It’s much shorter than to LA but it will show you just how much you will tread making a trip to LA. I went from San Jose to Bakersfield on a Honda 185 Twinstar but that was when the speed limit was 55mph and it taught me a lot about riding distance. But take the shorter trip first. You should enjoy the trip but realize what it will take to go about 3 times the distance to LA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts