Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Yamaha MT-07. First bike in over 15 years. I am also a Jeeper and have a lifted TJ Rubicon. In the Jeep world we largely do not think much of K&N filters as there is no real improvement over the stock filter it has been demonstrated, not in filtration, not in power.

But in bikes, I have always used them. And, the rest of the story, I live down a often dusty, dirt/gravel road. So every ride will begin with .5 miles of dirt and end with .5 miles of dirt. And to keep it going, the darn Kansas place is just dusty. It is the dust bowl after all!

So this means every ride also ends with a sponge bath for my bikes. I also up the oil changes on everything I own. Just wondering therefore, do you guys recommend the K&N, the OEM, or some other?

Thanks.
3C

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Well, I have used them in the past and they are pretty good and I like that K&N has a filter kit to maintain them,
It is a box with two large cans, one is a cleaner, other is air cleaner oil. I use the kit to keep filters up on the Wide
Glide and Sporty and I have a K&N filter in my pick-up truck. I think they are worth the $.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What semifast said. Some say they allow a lot more air than oem (not a problem as long as you tune correctly). The problem is dirt. How can you allow more air without more dirt? Simple logic, right. I have one that I got from a previous owner with my bike and I sold it. In your situation (dusty), i would definitely not use it. What i dont get is why guys use it and do no other mods. The engines are tuned by engineers to run on the oem filter. I can see doing it on sportbikes though for adding air and then tuning on a dyno with fuel controller.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can flow more air by increasing the surface area, reducing whatever restriction might exist, if any in the induction or using different technology, oiled cloth (K&N type) or paper (OEM types). There would need too be some tuning as well just as needed when doing exhaust systems.

Now that they have CATs on these things not so sure screwing with it too much is smart.

As I said, in the Jeep off-road world the OEM induction and filter are popular because it works well and Jeeps are not exactly fast. Just wondering what the sport bike riding crowd thinks on the subject, being now some 15 years out of the game.

·
Ace Tuner
3,522 Posts
What do you recommend, the OEM filter or another type or replacement induction?
For a street machine, an OEM type paper filter because I believe it does a better job of filtering the air.

These days most ram air machines have very little air box inlet restriction in comparison to carbureted bikes of old. A sport bike with ram air running a K&N probably would have the potential to flow a little more air, probably not enough to require re-tuning IMO.

Any bike that uses a fairly restrictive conventional air box probably wouldn't see much (if any) benefit from a K&N air filter alone. Again, only my opinion.
But a modified race bike or hot rod street machine where you need (want) every possible bit of HP and every MPH it's capable of... Put a K&N in that free flowing air box you modified or designed and have at it.
If it's a race bike you usually don't worry about how well your air filter filters air. Slamming the concrete is more of a concern than small particles that might get past an air filter...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Would someone really notice the difference in their engine if they took it apart after 100k or a little more? That's the question. Will someone even keep their bike that long.

Probably not.

Bmc supposedly is supposed to produce a touch more hp. BTW, they make a street and a race version

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Hello Semifast,

Quote" Any bike that uses a fairly restrictive conventional air box probably wouldn't see much (if any) benefit from a K&N air filter
alone."unquote.

When I had the stage 1 done to the Wide Glide, I had changed the whole air intake system, stock it had a certain size opening but
changed, it had NO back plate and was able to swallow up much more air and then he put in the ECM to admit more gas to the
engine and tuned it with a computer. When I added the V&H's short shots, the bike was dyno-tuned, I was told that with a larger air
cleaner and less baffles in pipes would allow for more more air flowing through the engine with more gas would still keep the proper
air/gas mixture. It is a heavy pleated paper filter but somewhat bigger than stock and the bike runs better now than when it was new.

·
Ace Tuner
3,522 Posts
Would someone really notice the difference in their engine if they took it apart after 100k or a little more?
That reminds me of a benefit of the K&N. They got a million mile guarantee.
One filter purchase for the life of the bike. :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts