Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Has anybody encountered issues installing K&N RC-2314 pod filters on a 1978 GS550? The middle two fit great, but the out ones hit the frame, so they won't go on straight, and the side covers won't install over top of them! I'm worried that there may be a vacuum leak too as they are probably not seated properly, being so crooked.

I talked to K&N yesterday and they have never encountered this issue, but escalated the issue to a Product Manager, whatever that means; hopefully I'll hear back from them...

I bought them from Amazon, and I think that I'll send them back as I only have until Aug 5 to return them; I can always re-order in the future. Of course the price has gone up by $20 since I bought these ones, but I don't want to be out $200 and own filters that I can't use.

Has anyone successfully installed K&N cones on a GS550? Were they the RC-2314 or others?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Those cone individual filters will make it very difficult to fine tune your bike. It is fairly well known in the motorcycle community to not use those type of filters, believe it or not, there isn't enough total air volume and the flow coming in from the sides flows weird.:smile_big: Go back to the airbox that came with the bike and if you desire, use the one large K&N filter.:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's not the answer that I wanted, or expected lol, but I do appreciate the info. I reinstalled the stock air box today . But I really do like the look of the cones, and I may revisit them in the future if I find some that actually fit.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
If you do go with the cone filters, you will have to adjust the mixture controls in the carbs, test, re-adjust, test ...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Actually you will have to re-jet your main jets and change the clip positions on the main jet needles on your VM carburetors and possibly have to shim them for fine adjustment. do not change your pilot jets. While you have it torn down it will be a great opportunity to properly clean the carburetors. (But I cleaned them with carburetor cleaner. Wait until you soak them in carburetor dip for 24 hours. after a few minutes you will see gunk boiling out of the fine passages in those carburetors.) you can not tune that much lean air out with your air screws. Cut your side covers to match the pods if you ever get the bike to run right otherwise you will get amazing gas mileage for a while before you burn a hole in the top of your pistons. I take it you have a L model (leading front axle on the forks) I believe the side covers and frame are a little different than the E models. Your motor is basically a small copy of my 1,000 and I have no clearance issues for my pods but they are also oval and not round.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Jets, jet needles and needle jets are all mixture controls, not just the pilot jet screws. Without an exhaust sniffer and dyno, you have little hope of getting it right throughout the range, or close enough for most.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is not an L model. You can tell by the seat and tank. The L has a teardrop shaped tank and no gas door on top and it also has a severely stepped seat. Gotta raise that queen up so she can see.

If you want to find out the best pods to use for that model, ask on theGSResources.com, GSR for short. Plenty of guys there have done it and can help guide you to the right size main jets you'll need and possibly pods that will fit better, maybe APE or Emgo. It is tricky to get it right and the hassle may not be worth the look as the airbox is designed to give the carbs a stable airflow. As has been suggested, a large K&N in the stock air box would be the best option, but you mentioned liking the looks better. I've had pods on my 78 GS1000C and my 81 GS1000G. Never had much problem with the VM carbs(mechanical slides) using pods if it's not rain ing, but the CV carbs(vacuum slides) on my 1000G didn't like getting hit by side winds. Also if you're determined that you have to have pods, then get a good 4-1 header to make it worth all the effort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts