Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am not currently a rider, but it was a dream at one point. I live in Ohio (US) and was just looking for some advice about a junk motorcycle. I happened upon this forum but appears this is the only section I can post in. I will try searching to see if there are any posts with a situation similar to mine. Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Hello Judy. The forum requires a few posts before you can post in some areas, just to make sure you aren't a bot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I am certainly not a bot, but I get it. Who knows, maybe reading through the discussions will spark me to pursue my goal again. I would love to travel across country on a bike and did actually learn to drive (have license endorsement) but never followed through. We shall see....

·
Registered
44 Posts
What model are you looking at? Just curious. I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to find something cheap. But I think I might save up for something that is running. I have some mechanical skills but I think a non running cheap bike can be a gamble. But I know sometimes that gamble pays off and a non runner might not need a lot of work to get running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I am looking to get rid of one. It is an old Honda Rebel 450. So I started looking online to see what my options are or get some ideas. I do not have the proper tools or area to work on any kind of project and I dont have much experience with vehicles and things of that nature.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it not running? You don't happen to live in the MKE area do you?

I didn't know they made a Rebel in 450cc's. I thought it was just 250... I think if you go on Craigslist you can see what a lot of people are asking. Or Cycle Trader. Or any other place that sells bikes on line that comes up if you google it.

A couple of different listings in my area to get an idea. I'm not sure if you are in the states or not......
https://racine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/racine-2008-honda-rebel-250/6951183743.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/grafton-1986-honda-rebel-250/6943192582.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it is not running. Its basically an abandoned vehicle in a storage unit. I live in Ohio. Technically, I am not the owner of the bike so I can not sell it outright. But it doesnt run, the tires are dry rot and i do not know if it is even worth it to anyone for the parts. I would happily just give it to someone who wanted it or wanted to scrap it out. I don't think a business will take it since i am not the actual owner. I am trying to be responsible and not dump it on the property owner/city to take care of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wish I lived by you. I'd love to have a look at it and maybe take it off your hands. Maybe you can find some enterprising younger person with desire to ride and learn how to build and fix up. You could always visit your local honda / import dealership and see if they know anyone looking. Most people that work in those places are there because they love motorcycles and looking to own and build. Especially the mechanics. And if most people are like me, there is not a ton of extra money in the budget, so getting one for free is a good way to get started on a project.

Most people want 500 bucks right off the bat for just about anything in any condition. I don't think they're all selling because I see a lot of them time and time again on craigslist. But people just like to take advantage and put money in their pockets. Probably anything has some value but you have to find the right person. Any old bike will probably cost more money than it's worth to fix up unless you get lucky and it starts after just a cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.