Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carburetors. Getting hard to find techs who know how to properly rebuild them anymore.

Sprockets and Chains. HD has PROVEN belts are the way to go, short of shaft drive.

Manual turn signals, when a $1 chip could provide timed, lean-angle based INTELLIGENT self cancelling turn signals.

ABS you can't turn off, for those "sure" they can outbrake it.

Bikes without ANY sort of power port. C'mon, mfr's, whether we're using a GPS or just carrying a cellie, WE NEED OUR ELECTRONS!

Lead Acid Batteries. It's time bikes went to Lithium batteries half the size and weight. (But don't put a Li battery in your bike designed for Lead Acid!!!)

Headlight / Taillight modulators. What are mfr's waiting for? A few more fatalities.

Air conditioning. I mean c'mon, Road Kings, Goldwings and Ventures deserve it right alongside with reverse, don't they? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
If you say so.

I can not agree completely with any of your statements. Who wants ABS, wots a turn signal, you have argued against lithium batteries in the past. Some folks know how to work on carbs, or get a bike with fuel injection ( not on your list yet the single biggest expense has always been carbs ) Sprockets and chains work fine, if you oil them and resist the urge to over tighten them all the time.
Buy a bike with a drive shaft if you do not like chains.
Flashing type lights are annoying to cage drivers. You will be easier to aim at.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
193 Posts
Carbs are easy and fun for competent motorcyclists.

I guess Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is obsolete for today's sissified liberal yuppie hipsters who carry credit cards instead of toolkits.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've a chain now. No biggie.

Turing off my turn signal is second nature. I did once forget it a few years ago. A rider rode past giving me what I thought was a very friendly wave. I waved back. He shook his head, pointed, and repeated the gesture. Oh! Now I get it.

Never had carbs or ABS on a bike. No opposition. Just haven't. Though ABS is one more thing to break. Got a bad ABS pump on one of my pickups now.

I will spring for a good battery. Dead batteries suck.

Modulating lights are for emergency vehicles. Lighting is supposed to mean something.

Wired my own power port on the C50. The needed bike wires are in the headlight bucket. Ez-pz, and I ain't no lectrician. The available wires for the NCX are being used for Warn lights. I could rig up something else. For now, I've a solar battery I can chagre my phone on.

What would really be nice is a power outlet we can use for gadgets and to jump start with.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If bike built the way you described were the only ones available, I'd be building choppers in my garage or get totally out of riding!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Carburetors. Getting hard to find techs who know how to properly rebuild them anymore.
Not hard at all actually, though I can do the work myself if I desire.

Sprockets and Chains. HD has PROVEN belts are the way to go, short of shaft drive.
Then why are bikes like the Hayabusa, Panigali, CTX700, and 99% of offroad bikes all chain drive?

Manual turn signals, when a $1 chip could provide timed, lean-angle based INTELLIGENT self cancelling turn signals.
If only it were that easy. If you want self cancelling turn signals, buy a bike with them. Also, a million + bikes are out there with turn signals that the rider has to manually cancel themselves, and they seem to do just fine.

ABS you can't turn off, for those "sure" they can outbrake it.
Is it my imagination, or are you suddenly giving mixed signals here?

Bikes without ANY sort of power port. C'mon, mfr's, whether we're using a GPS or just carrying a cellie, WE NEED OUR ELECTRONS!
Let's be honest here... is it really a universal need, or just your desire for them? If you really want them that bad, go stick a fork in a socket. You'll have your electrons.

Actually, please do stick a fork in a socket. I recommend the 220 one that your dryer is plugged into.

Lead Acid Batteries. It's time bikes went to Lithium batteries half the size and weight. (But don't put a Li battery in your bike designed for Lead Acid!!!)
Lead acid batteries work just fine, if you take care of them. If you do not take care of your battery, then no type of battery is gonna save you.

Headlight / Taillight modulators. What are mfr's waiting for? A few more fatalities.
I actually question just how effective they are, considering that half the time, cagers are so friggin distracted, that you could be driving a day-glo orange firetruck with ALL lights and sirens goin, and a troop of clowns running around all over the vehicle, and the cagers will still plow right into you.

At least you have the clown part down pat. You gonna paint your bike day-glo orange or yellow?

Last I checked, all bikes come with God's original AC. Also, Road Kinda and Ventures do not have reverse, nor do all Gold Wings.

Just go buy a cage. I recommend either a Prius or a Smart Car. Don't mind me, though when I have to use a flat head screwdriver to pry you out of the tire treads on my truck.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
I've a chain now. No biggie.

Turing off my turn signal is second nature. I did once forget it a few years ago. A rider rode past giving me what I thought was a very friendly wave. I waved back. He shook his head, pointed, and repeated the gesture. Oh! Now I get it.

Never had carbs or ABS on a bike. No opposition. Just haven't. Though ABS is one more thing to break. Got a bad ABS pump on one of my pickups now.

I will spring for a good battery. Dead batteries suck.

Modulating lights are for emergency vehicles. Lighting is supposed to mean something.

Wired my own power port on the C50. The needed bike wires are in the headlight bucket. Ez-pz, and I ain't no lectrician. The available wires for the NCX are being used for Warn lights. I could rig up something else. For now, I've a solar battery I can chagre my phone on.

What would really be nice is a power outlet we can use for gadgets and to jump start with.
You can buy handle bar power ports that connect directly to the battery. Most have the same kind of connector as your battery trickle charger. So you can plug them in there when you are riding and unplug when you are charging the battery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can buy handle bar power ports that connect directly to the battery. Most have the same kind of connector as your battery trickle charger. So you can plug them in there when you are riding and unplug when you are charging the battery.
This is correct. Know a few guys with them. Super easy to do.

·
11,528 Posts
I have them on both my bikes, one is just a cigarette type and the other has that connection and a USB connection.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,859 Posts
You left out Cable Type Clutches and Cable Throttles .. Why not demand Hydraulic Clutch and Throttle by Wire as well .. What the Hell maybe an Automatic Transmission too .. By the way can still Rebuild Carbs just fine .. :)

·
11,528 Posts
Run flat tires, if you are going to dream, dream big

1 - 15 of 15 Posts