Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I made this account when I was 16 and got my first bike, a Yamaha XS400 Special. Then I sort of moved away from the site, since then I've ridden a 97 YZF-6R.. I've decided I'm no longer a sport bike guy.

So, today I made a 2 hour (one way) trek to pick up a really clean 1985 Yamaha XJ700X Maxim with 16xxx miles. Haven't ridden it, since the windchill today was right around zero, but it looks and sounds to be in excellent condition!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
Gidday

I was riding my 83 XS400 Seca today.
Was on the mainland, bought lots of stuff, for boats, bikes and belch mobile.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Memory lane! I had one of those back in the late 80's. It was pretty zippy for a smaller bike and I rode it for about a year. I ended up selling it to a neighbor when I transferred and I heard he ended up dead, but never did know what became of the bike.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I can tell you that is a great bike!! I love mine. I've had it since fall of 2005. It's really a lot of fun! Good Luck with yours

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
Clutch

Wonder if that is a model that requires the clutch lever to be pulled in to start.
In your case it might start with the lever out, and or in gear with the lever out.
That gets interesting if you forget, and there is a car two feet in front as there is on a ferry. BTDT.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"Spent the day doing some minor work on the bike, and noticed this plug in the clutch lever bracket doesn't connect as it should... does anyone know what it is for?"

I'd guess it's a clutch lever "safety" switch. It keeps you from starting the bike unless the clutch lever is pulled in. (Unless someone else previously disconnected it at some place in the wiring harness.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was my initial thought too, but with it unplugged it wont start with the clutch out in gear.... the previous owner had it plugged in, and then tightly black taped in... I will probably do the same for now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know the process on these bikes to synchronize carburetors?

I've finally gotten to ride it, and it starts and runs great, but doesn't do well at WOT, the previous owner said he rebuilt and jetted the carbs (also it has the necessary exhaust and air intake modification)... So my initial thought is that he didn't get the carbs synched properly.

I've called a few shops in town and a couple said they need a special tool, that they don't have, so I'm wondering what is so special about it.

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
Sink

WOT is running on the main jets.
Synching the carbs is for idle work running on the small jets.
The Mikuni tuning guide says start with the main jets and work your way down.
My XS400 is also not running correctly at WOT in 4th and 5th gears.
It is running good enough to be acceptable, but I would like it to be better.
It could be a jetting issue, but I need two more jets of the correct size.
I will try and keep you posted.
Sometimes stronger engines can use smaller jets, because they suck better in a pulsing motion. Try not to get distracted. The 400 has very good compression, and the bike gets better as I go down in jet size.
I have aftermarket muffles and foam pod filters. It sometimes takes time to get these diaphragm carbs set correctly. My XS11 has four of them and runs like a charm, also with aftermarket pipes.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOT is running on the main jets.
Synching the carbs is for idle work running on the small jets.
The Mikuni tuning guide says start with the main jets and work your way down.
My XS400 is also not running correctly at WOT in 4th and 5th gears.
It is running good enough to be acceptable, but I would like it to be better.
It could be a jetting issue, but I need two more jets of the correct size.
I will try and keep you posted.
Sometimes stronger engines can use smaller jets, because they suck better in a pulsing motion. Try not to get distracted. The 400 has very good compression, and the bike gets better as I go down in jet size.
I have aftermarket muffles and foam pod filters. It sometimes takes time to get these diaphragm carbs set correctly. My XS11 has four of them and runs like a charm, also with aftermarket pipes.

Unkle Crusty*

The more I ride it the more I think it may be a jetting/needle issue... I can roll on the throttle up to about 3/4 throttle it is smooth, and makes good power, but once I cross that threshold to the final 1/4 it starts to stumble and not pull.

New issue, when I ride it for a while, and shut it off for a while then restart it, it doesn't run well.. it won't idle, then tonight after I stopped to grab some food, it died at a stop sign after leaving and wouldn't start for about 30 seconds of cranking.... It feels like it might be a coil issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts