Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a gap of about 20 years, my wife suddenly wanted to ride with me again about 4 or 5 years ago. So now most of my riding is two-up, which I really enjoy, and my 1600cc cruiser has no problems with two folks on instead of just one. But what is getting old is my trying to hear something my wife leans forward to tell me, or when I try to turn my head around to say something to her. So since we already have Bell 3/4 helmets made for a specific Sena intercom set, I went ahead and ordered them today. Hope I don't regret giving up the relative silence of my current riding once the sets are installed. I'll post later with my impression of using these intercoms.

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
She's probably tired of the wind blowing your slobber in her face too.:D

Yes, it happens. How do I know? My wife doesn't mind speaking her piece.:)

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I just ordered an intercom system for me and my wife. I already told her that if she starts complaining during a ride I can mute her. ;)

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
After a gap of about 20 years, my wife suddenly wanted to ride with me again about 4 or 5 years ago. So now most of my riding is two-up, which I really enjoy, and my 1600cc cruiser has no problems with two folks on instead of just one. But what is getting old is my trying to hear something my wife leans forward to tell me, or when I try to turn my head around to say something to her. So since we already have Bell 3/4 helmets made for a specific Sena intercom set, I went ahead and ordered them today. Hope I don't regret giving up the relative silence of my current riding once the sets are installed. I'll post later with my impression of using these intercoms.
Just a heads up, if you ordered the same SMH10 dual headset kit set that I ordered, you may need to order the special clamp and boom microphones that snap inside the Bell Mag 9 helmets too. Bell #554238. The kit I received had universal type booms that mounted on the outside of the helmet with intercom.
PS, the wife and I love ours, but she rides her own bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Sena SMH10 fan here! Bought a complete kit, 2 boom mikes, 2 stick on mikes, 2 sets of speakers, attachment clamps and stick on plates and 2 comms units. Wife and I chat away as we ride along, we only use it for rider/pillion comms but you can also use it to link to a phone or GPS.

One of the best bits of kit I've bought. The only downside is that the charger supplied in the kit is only for an automotive accessory power adapter, but the comms units connect to the mains/mini USB charger both of our mobile phones use.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Being in the same bracket, of wanting to use a communication system between myself and a rider, this topic interests me. Allow me a couple of questions.............

A. Do the individual headsets have battery packs that are mounted in
Each helmet?
B. How long do batteries last, if required?
C. Do you get frequency interference in any shape or form?
D. Are these systems full duplex or half duplex?
E. If these systems are half duplex, how do you functionally activate
Your microphone? (I imagine that old WWII activity of touching
Some activation device worn around the neck)

-soupy

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
When riding thru town, be careful to not verbalize what you're thinking about that girl walking down the street.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Being in the same bracket, of wanting to use a communication system between myself and a rider, this topic interests me. Allow me a couple of questions.............

A. Do the individual headsets have battery packs that are mounted in
Each helmet?

-soupy
I have the Sena SMH10. Batteries are built in and last most of the day for me. Less if I'm listening to music the whole time. The mic is voice activated. The "R" is the newer model. The older model is what fit my helmet. Plus I prefered the older jog dial, it just seemed easier for me operate. Especially while wearing gloves. All my riding buddies are switching over to Senas after seeing mine.
Heres a link with info.
www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To CTX: I did order the dual set for our two Bell helmets. Are the additional items you named essential, or just nice to have? From the Revzilla video on this helmet and the Sena 10 set I thought it was just the set that I needed. If it is essential to get this set up, I will order two of the boom mike setups, but will not be happy to spend the additional $80 over the $284 already committed.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
To CTX: I did order the dual set for our two Bell helmets. Are the additional items you named essential, or just nice to have? From the Revzilla video on this helmet and the Sena 10 set I thought it was just the set that I needed. If it is essential to get this set up, I will order two of the boom mike setups, but will not be happy to spend the additional $80 over the $284 already committed.
The additional booms are not necessary but the Mag 9 helmets were designed for them and it just looks cleaner if you use them. Plus everything snaps right in. (See my pic above). Either way installation is easy. The liners on the Mag 9 are held in with velcro and there are little pockets for the speakers, so running the wires, etc was easy and well thought out. I ordered everything though Motorcycle Superstore and payed $31.50 each for the additional booms. I also ordered a few extra universal mounts for our snowmobile helmets too. :)

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
When riding thru town, be careful to not verbalize what you're thinking about that girl walking down the street.
On a similar note: Don't moan "OH YEAH" when hugging your girls mom...trust me on this

Seriously though, does anyone know how well this system would work with an open face helmet?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
I have a Scala and use it on my 3/4 and/or my modular. Not a problem hearing, or if I am on the phone the person on the other end has no problem hearing or understanding me. I do have a face shield on both helmets

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
soupy, regarding the Sena SMH10:

A. Do the individual headsets have battery packs that are mounted in each helmet?

Yes, each detachable headset includes rechargeable batteries, we take the headset off the mounting plate and recharge them on the kitchen bench.

No separate batteries, rechargeables built in. The recharge lasts all day when we have the units on continuous talk

Not that I've noticed, but population density is a bit lower here in Queensland Australia. You can link in to up to five other SMH10 units and chose who you want to talk to by tapping the jog button a number of times.

You're talking to a technophobe here. What's duplex/half duplex?

There's a number of ways to control your mike. We just leave the mikes on all the time and talk like airport traffic controllers, over. Or you can set your mike to activate by voice, you have to give a little puff before you speak to activate the mike. Or you can link to a number of other headsets and tap the jog button the number of times to get the other headset you want. It's a very user friendly jog button, large enough for gloved hands. You tap it to talk (in standby mode) and turn it for volume. There's a little button on the back of the unit, you press both this button and the jog button to turn the unit on and off.

I really like the units, light and self contained, no wires to batteries or other users, all you do is clamp or stick the mounting plate on the side of your helmet, click in the headset unit, run wires up under the helmet's padding to the recesses for the speakers, stick on the boom (open face or modular) or stick on mikes(full face) and connect the mike cable to the headset unit. They're light and easy to use.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I ordered a set of these for the wife and I:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087NB23Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Used them for the first time today and we are VERY happy. Sound quality is excellent, sound quality of music is passable, and they are very easy to use. Highly recommended. I can't imagine needing to spend any more than what these intercoms cost, unless their durability becomes an issue -- I expect them to be very durable, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have used the Chatterbox XBI-2 for years now. I love the sound quality and the ability to pair with multiple other XBI-2's. I have streamed audio, paired with a pillion and on the phone at highway speeds.

Love the set, but they need replaced now. After 5+ years and a boat load of abuse the batteries don't hold a charge very long. I also have HJC helmets so this year I'll replace them with the XBI-2H when I replace my helmet. It's specifically made for the HJC bluetooth ready helmets

3G

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
Most of these units say they are good up to 1/2 mile. REALLY? CB's are supposed to be good up to 5 miles and I'm doing darn good to get 1/2 mile out of it. Do these things get cut back like the CB in real world usage? If not, what's the difference in technology that makes them better? The ground plane is the contributing factor in a CB. Bikes just don't have one to speak of. If I ever change bikes I'd like to know how to get the most again. These little units sound like an option but I'm concern real world distance might make it not nearly as good as they appear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most of these units say they are good up to 1/2 mile. REALLY? CB's are supposed to be good up to 5 miles and I'm doing darn good to get 1/2 mile out of it. Do these things get cut back like the CB in real world usage? If not, what's the difference in technology that makes them better? The ground plane is the contributing factor in a CB. Bikes just don't have one to speak of. If I ever change bikes I'd like to know how to get the most again. These little units sound like an option but I'm concern real world distance might make it not nearly as good as they appear.
They do have limited range, as most of them are bluetooth technology that requires close proximity and/or line of sight. I have had good luck keeping connected at normal riding intervals with another rider, however I have never used them in a large group where the front and rear rider are seperated by a descent distance. Hope this helps you out

3G

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
That's the thing. In a mission it isn't hard at all to have a line of bikes a 1/2 or a but more. And even with clear sight to my tail gunner I'm doing good to stay in contact with CB. Bluetooth I'm concerned just won't hack it.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Hog Cowboy, I have a buddy who teaches adventure riding courses with large groups (not as large as a patriot ride) and they use the Scala to communicate with all of the students. One area where new tech is good. Mine claims 1 mile range for up to 9 riders. I'm pretty sure it will do 1/2 mile and Blair claims they have no issues when teaching.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts