Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Congrats, Meck. Nice looking scoot. I'm sure you want to keep it that way, so please, please, please, check the date of mfg on those tires. Seriously, do it.

Other than that, you might want to put a scratch in it now and get the heartbreak over with. Just kidding. lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"2006 Suzuki M50. 2 owners with only 6100 miles"

It always breaks my heart to see decade or older bikes with four figure odometer readings. I put 11K miles on my 2019 R3 in a span of a few months. Hopefully you put on more miles than the previous owner(s) did. Good call having someone help you pick it up, when I picked mine up I was solo and Michigan decided at the last minute it wanted to rain that day. New rider, new bike, new tires are not an ideal combination on a rainy day, but I planned out a less hectic route home and so it ended up being just fine, I was nervous though. Good first bike choice.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
"2006 Suzuki M50. 2 owners with only 6100 miles"

It always breaks my heart to see decade or older bikes with four figure odometer readings. I put 11K miles on my 2019 R3 in a span of a few months. Hopefully you put on more miles than the previous owner(s) did. Good call having someone help you pick it up, when I picked mine up I was solo and Michigan decided at the last minute it wanted to rain that day. New rider, new bike, new tires are not an ideal combination on a rainy day, but I planned out a less hectic route home and so it ended up being just fine, I was nervous though. Good first bike choice.
Hmmmmm...I have an '06 Scrambler with 8400, an '02 America with 5600, an '03 XR650 with 3300. I have ridden like 4k miles this year, the most in my life. Next year I am sure to ride more, as my wife has got the bug too ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmmmm...I have an '06 Scrambler with 8400, an '02 America with 5600, an '03 XR650 with 3300. I have ridden like 4k miles this year, the most in my life. Next year I am sure to ride more, as my wife has got the bug too ;)
I think it is alright if the owner has multiple bikes to share miles between. I am still single, meaning I can ride pretty much everywhere, so I racked up miles quickly. That said, I honestly think I am the crazy one here, so don't worry too much. Not too many people willingly ride to work on a 36 degree day while it is raining because they feel like putting their rain gear to the test.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think it is alright if the owner has multiple bikes to share miles between. I am still single, meaning I can ride pretty much everywhere, so I racked up miles quickly. That said, I honestly think I am the crazy one here, so don't worry too much. Not too many people willingly ride to work on a 36 degree day while it is raining because they feel like putting their rain gear to the test.
Part of my gig is I want to keep all the bikes rolling and not let them sit too long. That being said, I have a couple I want to sell and a couple I want to buy. I have a 2016 V Strom 650 that I bought from Porky that I will be moving. It's an excellent bike, but more street than dirt. If I want to ride the roads I go to my Scrambler or T-Bird first, and if it's anything rugged, like logging roads, I go to one of my dual sports, so it's rarely my bike of choice. I also have a YZF250 that I am selling to get something better for trails.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,258 Posts
Nice looking bike

Reactions: meckeard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhhh, nothing like that feeling of the first bike. Whats nice about bikes is that feeling never goes away, it comes back every time you get a new one. Congratulations, it looks great.
Thanks! It wasn't easy containing my excitement when my buddy was riding it home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats, Meck. Nice looking scoot. I'm sure you want to keep it that way, so please, please, please, check the date of mfg on those tires. Seriously, do it.

Other than that, you might want to put a scratch in it now and get the heartbreak over with. Just kidding. lol.
That's good advice as the previous owner wasn't sure when or if the tires have been replaced. If nothing else, I did learn in my riding class that traction is VERY important.

Tomorrow I'll call the local bike dealership and get it in for an overall health check and ensure the tires are inspected as part of that. Thanks!

FYI - I did not drop it and will just deal with it when/if it happens. LOL

·
American Legion Rider
22,069 Posts
Here she is. 2006 Suzuki M50. 2 owners with only 6100 miles. Not mint but close and all mine. It was an hour away so I had an experienced rider buddy bring it home and I can't wait to get to riding this week.

View attachment 64049

Good looking machine so you got something to be proud of and enjoy.

·
Visionary
3,926 Posts
Yeah, I sometimes feel bad that I've only put 20K miles on one of my bikes in the 3 years I owned it, but I guess it's OK because I put around 40K on another one in the same 3 years and 80K on the third one.
We might need to compare notes on who is the crazier one here, there are a couple of us lurking in the woodwork around this place who are in contention for that award :cool:

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Registered
266 Posts
Take it easy.
When I first started to ride in 1961 an old man I knew told me something that stuck and proved to be true.
He said regardless of the size of the bike you start with there will come a time that you think you have mastered the machine.
He further stated that if you live through that period that you might come to respect the machine and make a good rider.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Take it easy.
When I first started to ride in 1961 an old man I knew told me something that stuck and proved to be true.
He said regardless of the size of the bike you start with there will come a time that you think you have mastered the machine.
He further stated that if you live through that period that you might come to respect the machine and make a good rider.
Enjoy the ride!
Nah, ken. TRIPLE LIKE! I must have met the same old man. Depending on the miles, if you make it thru the first year or so, you might make a good rider. And always respect the machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here she is. 2006 Suzuki M50. 2 owners with only 6100 miles. Not mint but close and all mine. It was an hour away so I had an experienced rider buddy bring it home and I can't wait to get to riding this week.

View attachment 64049
Great looking bike. I saw another post on another subject and the guy gave some great advice. Always ride like you think you are invisible. Never assume some one sees you and don't think the "right of way" makes things ok. Enjoy your rides!!

·
American Legion Rider
22,069 Posts
I go one step further about being invisible. I assume they are all literally going to try to kill me. So I just know they are going to do the very thing I don’t want them to so I’m prepared for it.

Reactions: ketchboy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts