Motorcycle Forum banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
sub-Administrator American Legion Rider KA5LRS
27,815 Posts
I was told by Texas DPS that not only do I have to keep my mini-truck under 25mph but I also have to fly one of those high orange flags. I only get on the highway to visit my neighbor and that’s just a miles worth. I did have to see just how fast it would go though. 60 was tops but 25 or less it has been since that test flight. 🙄😊

·
Registered
Harley Street 500, Tao Motor TBR7 250
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I don't see anything about being street legal. I guess it could get a low speed vehicle plate, like a golf cart. To speed they say is 28 mph. Interesting, but I'm still good with what I've got.
I believe top speed is 25 MPH. It says = or < 28 MPH: 2022 Hot Selling Four Wheels Electric Truck Recreational Car Changli 4 Wheel Electric Cars 4 Wheels Mini Electric Car - Buy Electric Cars,Changli Electric Cars,Hot Selling Four Wheels Electric Recreational Car Product on Alibaba.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was told by Texas DPS that not only do I have to keep my mini-truck under 25mph but I also have to fly one of those high orange flags. I only get on the highway to visit my neighbor and that’s just a miles worth. I did have to see just how fast it would go though. 60 was tops but 25 or less it has been since that test flight. 🙄😊
Based on our collective experience with electric vehicles built in china,..don't run it at 60, or even 40 for any length of time...you may blow a controller out! Seems they haven't figured out how to keep people from pushing them to the limit, with a governor of some kind, like used to be put on the 5 hp briggs and stratton motors used for the 60's and 70's minibikes...which we all learned how to bypass...and seized up some of those motors!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Based on our collective experience with electric vehicles built in china,..don't run it at 60, or even 40 for any length of time...you may blow a controller out! Seems they haven't figured out how to keep people from pushing them to the limit, with a governor of some kind, like used to be put on the 5 hp briggs and stratton motors used for the 60's and 70's minibikes...which we all learned how to bypass...and seized up some of those motors!
I literally did not push either of the two (2) 311s I had, but they FAILED at a handful of miles!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm talking about the design, not the drivers. The 311 should have been governed. Since Club Car has bought Ayro, their new Club Car 411 which has pretty much the same motor and alot of the same parts from what I saw at the local golf cart dealer, but they limit the speed to 25 mph. I think on the 311 they should have put that limit, but instead they advertised 50+ mph, which was their downfall. I run mine at 35 max and so far so good at 265 miles. In other words, it was not your fault if I made you think that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I'm talking about the design, not the drivers. The 311 should have been governed.
It is! If you go uphill on an overpass at 50 MPH, it may slow down a bit, but on downhill, it won't speed up to 55, because controller will back out; won't keep supply same amount of
current to motor as if on level ground.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think what you are talking about is the effect of a regeneration charger. On deceleration, like going down a hill, the regen motor and sends a charge back into the batteries. It feels like a brake is being put on. Its not a governor. A governor would prevent you from going 50 mph if it was set to only allow 25 mph, with the pedal to the metal. My 2008 club car has this same regen motor charger in it, when I slow down, I can feel it kick in,...like something is braking even though my foot is not on the brake. It is run off of a bearing encoder that feeds back to the controller, telling it to send amps to the batteries in deceleration. It turns the motor into a generator, and causes a drag on the motor, like someone put the brake on gently. The 311 has this type of system.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I think what you are talking about is the effect of a regeneration charger. On deceleration, like going down a hill, the regen motor and sends a charge back into the batteries. It feels like a brake is being put on. Its not a governor. A governor would prevent you from going 50 mph if it was set to only allow 25 mph, with the pedal to the metal. My 2008 club car has this same regen motor charger in it, when I slow down, I can feel it kick in,...like something is braking even though my foot is not on the brake. It is run off of a bearing encoder that feeds back to the controller, telling it to send amps to the batteries in deceleration. It turns the motor into a generator, and causes a drag on the motor, like someone put the brake on gently. The 311 has this type of system.
The 311 does NOT. It coasted normally with foot off accelerator and off brake. The 311 is NO Club Car!

·
Registered
39 Posts
--

I mean, is this thread a soap opera or what? :unsure:

--
Yes seems to be. In trying to find the problem, the dealer mechanic pulled out the motor thinking it was burned out and he had a replacement motor for it. He showed me the bearing encoder that sits on the end of the rotor, which turns it into a generator, sending amps back to the battery when you slow down. It looked like this, in the third photo you see the wire coming out of the bearing, that is the bearing encoder that tells the controller to send amps back to the battery. I don't feel the braking on the 311 as much as I do on the club car, but that could be because the 311 motor is a 3 phase driven by AC current and the club car has a high speed motor driven by DC.
Product Automotive tire Font Office supplies Multipurpose battery

·
Registered
39 Posts
And china cares about our laws?

If Dave or Daves mechanic at Primegolfcarts told you it has a governor, they were blowing smoke. Neither of them have a clue about the 311 or how to set a governor in the controller. IF that was possible it would require an interface cable to the controller and software installed on the pc or phone it was connected to, to change that setting. Dave and his mech don't have an owners manual let alone a service manual...,they have squat. I think they told you stuff to make you feel better, that they could fix it.

I did mention that I sent the burned up controller to FSIP (Flight Systems Industrial Products | Reman Electronics). Thats who Dave told me to contact to get if fixed...again...he is clueless and was telling me things to get me off the phone. It cost me $125 for FSIP to tell me they cannot fix it and cannot build a new one, only that it was burned up from over-current. That means too many amps coming into the controller...from the "gas" pedal that sends the amps from the batteries...pedal to the metal killed that controller...which is what I was doing when it happened to me...a governor would have prevented that over-current from happening.

Seems we disagree. And since we both like to get in the last word, here is my last word..."word".

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
And china cares about our laws?

If Dave or Daves mechanic at Primegolfcarts told you it has a governor, they were blowing smoke. Neither of them have a clue about the 311 or how to set a governor in the controller. IF that was possible it would require an interface cable to the controller and software installed on the pc or phone it was connected to, to change that setting. Dave and his mech don't have an owners manual let alone a service manual...,they have squat. I think they told you stuff to make you feel better, that they could fix it.

I did mention that I sent the burned up controller to FSIP (Flight Systems Industrial Products | Reman Electronics). Thats who Dave told me to contact to get if fixed...again...he is clueless and was telling me things to get me off the phone. It cost me $125 for FSIP to tell me they cannot fix it and cannot build a new one, only that it was burned up from over-current. That means too many amps coming into the controller...from the "gas" pedal that sends the amps from the batteries...pedal to the metal killed that controller...which is what I was doing when it happened to me...a governor would have prevented that over-current from happening.

Seems we disagree. And since we both like to get in the last word, here is my last word..."word".
LOL - The control prevents too much current to the motor (if controller working/designed properly). That is one of the purposes of it! A controller cannot experience too much current (if working/designed properly). It simply regulates current to the motor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok...here's my last word...the potentiometer that is actuated by the "gas" pedal controls current to the controller, which then passes it to the motor.

"A potentiometer is a measuring instrument. It’s sometimes called POT which is short for potentiometer. Potentiometer definition is simple: It is considered as a three-terminal resistor and can control the flow of electric current."

Another thought occurred to me since last reply...when the motor becomes a generator sending amps back to the batteries...that goes thru the controller also, and if that is not "controlled", it may have burned up the controller also. When mine burned up I put the pedal to the metal, and took my foot off just as fast when I put on the brake, which could have sent too many amp back thru the controller to charge the batteries. FSIP could only tell me that the controller died from over-current. You decide...where did the over-current come from? Only two possibilities...the potentiometer "pedal" on acceleration, or the motor regen cycle when braking/slowing down. Either way, it was toast,

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
474 Posts
Never a cheap easy fix ..., For any consumer . Not like some big box stores that advertise , " Satisfaction gauranteed " ....,

141 - 158 of 158 Posts