Motorcycle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
Harley Street 500, Tao Motor TBR7 250
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
FSIP said they can't fix it, can't build one, don't know where to get a new one...if this one goes, Prime golf carts has them for sale for $1200...he says he has all kinds of parts for this...at a price!
I would be inclined to buy one at that price, and have a machine shop put a small diesel engine in it. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have thought about that...but that would require a transmission matched to motor and the differential.. a complete replacement of everything. There is no transmission in this thing, just a potentiometer manipulated by the "gas" pedal that meters AC power thru the 3 phase controller to the 72 volt DC motor. It really is pretty involved, and I hand it to the engineer that designed it. He Right now I'm keeping things as they are, in case gas goes to $10+ a gallon!

Here's another for sale Ayro Aev 311 Reverse Trike 72v 72 Volt Auto Cycle Golf Cart 50 mph street legal | eBay

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I have thought about that...but that would require a transmission matched to motor and the differential.. a complete replacement of everything. There is no transmission in this thing, just a potentiometer manipulated by the "gas" pedal that meters AC power thru the 3 phase controller to the 72 volt DC motor. It really is pretty involved, and I hand it to the engineer that designed it. He Right now I'm keeping things as they are, in case gas goes to $10+ a gallon!

Here's another for sale Ayro Aev 311 Reverse Trike 72v 72 Volt Auto Cycle Golf Cart 50 mph street legal | eBay
I'll go take a look at it! I'm about 1/2 hour away. It looks like mine except the fenders have been painted black.

But the literally are pigs in a poke!

Last Fall I spoke with Ayro, and they said by Dec. the 311X will be out. It is not, and not even mentioned on their website, so they gave up on it, obviously couldn't get reliable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh, I thought you were in south florida. Ayro has partnered with Club Car and is now making a Club Car 411X. I saw one here and it has the same headlights, same plug in cord, similar parts from the 311, but its an LSV...25mph max legal speed. Underneath has a similar control module, DC motor 72 volt and a similar transmission...but just a bit bigger...I guess for carrying heavy loads.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Oh, I thought you were in south florida. Ayro has partnered with Club Car and is now making a Club Car 411X. I saw one here and it has the same headlights, same plug in cord, similar parts from the 311, but its an LSV...25mph max legal speed. Underneath has a similar control module, DC motor 72 volt and a similar transmission...but just a bit bigger...I guess for carrying heavy loads.
FYI: In trying to get mine going, I was told that that mine was tripping an "alarm" when it failed. I assume it was an over current situation. Problem was, there was no easy way to reset it, and continue one's journey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stumbled on this thread as I was researching about the 311. There is a 2019 for sale here in Hawaii for $4,500. There was another one that sold already as well. I was intrigued but now I am mortified. Just wanted to share that there a few more out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I stumbled on this thread as I was researching about the 311. There is a 2019 for sale here in Hawaii for $4,500. There was another one that sold already as well. I was intrigued but now I am mortified. Just wanted to share that there a few more out there.
They are pieces of ****!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have two of these now and as long as I don't put the pedal to the metal and run at full throttle they are working fine. When I first got mine, I tried driving it like a car, fast acceleration from a stop light, passed a few slower cars, getting up to top speed as fast as I could. Driving it like a car burned up the control module, the same way the module burns up in a golf cart...which is common when the driver installs a high speed dc motor and then runs the golf cart at 35 mph...boom..there goes that controller. That is what happens to these also. The module was replaced in mine and I drive it like an adult, not a teenager (like I did at first). When people ask if they could drive it I say no. I am thinking of putting a red neck governor on the gas pedal (chunk of wood screwed to the back of it!) to limit max speed to 35 mph, that should help preserve the control module. They should not advertise that it does 55 mph...that is asking for trouble from this "fancy golf cart" or a regular golf cart that is souped up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I have two of these now and as long as I don't put the pedal to the metal and run at full throttle they are working fine. When I first got mine, I tried driving it like a car, fast acceleration from a stop light, passed a few slower cars, getting up to top speed as fast as I could. Driving it like a car burned up the control module, the same way the module burns up in a golf cart...which is common when the driver installs a high speed dc motor and then runs the golf cart at 35 mph...boom..there goes that controller. That is what happens to these also. The module was replaced in mine and I drive it like an adult, not a teenager (like I did at first). When people ask if they could drive it I say no. I am thinking of putting a red neck governor on the gas pedal (chunk of wood screwed to the back of it!) to limit max speed to 35 mph, that should help preserve the control module. They should not advertise that it does 55 mph...that is asking for trouble from this "fancy golf cart" or a regular golf cart that is souped up.
The speed controller/governor regulates golf cart speeds no matter what powerful motors or batteries you put on it.

BTW: Mine died at steady 40 MPH.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"One common cause of golf cart motor burnout is continually pressing the pedal to the metal like you’re trying to drive a race car. While this can be a lot of fun in the short term, constantly taxing your cart's engine can lead to long term costly damage down the road."

Full report here...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you get to 40 slowly or did you drag race to 40? Also, did you ever go above 40? I think my problem was an accumulated effect...I was drag racing from the stop lights, getting up to 40 as fast as I could to keep up with the cars around me...and after about 6 of these "races" from the lights, my controller burned up. I think the design was wrong on these, they should have designed them to run 35 max, thats plenty fast around a campus or on town roads, instead of the 55+ that the dealer says they will do....thats just nuts!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Did you get to 40 slowly or did you drag race to 40?
Gradually went to 40. I was briefly at 50 on a road prior to that road I was on when it died. Like I said I got it with 16 miles on it, and I put 4 miles on it when it died at 20 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
"One common cause of golf cart motor burnout is continually pressing the pedal to the metal like you’re trying to drive a race car. While this can be a lot of fun in the short term, constantly taxing your cart's engine can lead to long term costly damage down the road."

Full report here...

Here's an idea! What if you get one of these, and transplant the motor and controller into the Ayro??? The motor looks very similar!

·
Registered
39 Posts
That looks pretty good, for only 2K? Is that a shipped to your door price? If so, I wish I had bought a couple of these instead! He will have the same problem I have though...where does he get parts? Who does repairs? How long is that mfg going to be around? If there was a USA dealer, I might be interested in trading my 311 in for one of these.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just read a bit more about the truck. Price 1880 plus tax. Shipping 2200, battery upgrade another 1000 and put your order in and it will arrive in about 2 years...don't know if this is all true but here is where I got the info;

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
That looks pretty good, for only 2K? Is that a shipped to your door price? If so, I wish I had bought a couple of these instead! He will have the same problem I have though...where does he get parts? Who does repairs? How long is that mfg going to be around? If there was a USA dealer, I might be interested in trading my 311 in for one of these.
Problem is, it is not roadworthy, and you cannot get a tag. Plus top speed is only 25.

I recently got a replacement lithium battery for my golf cart, and it needs other work too. I wish I got one of those instead. Would be a great golf cart for at our RV resort! :D

121 - 140 of 158 Posts