Motorcycle Forum banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
Harley Street 500, Tao Motor TBR7 250
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Wow...glad you got the refund. I may be in trouble because it had 25 miles on it. He was asking 9.5 k which I assume is the new price. It spent time in key west and had some surface rust on the screws. They have the on order and would replace them. I offered 7K and he countered for 7.9k and I bought it friday. So I guess he sold it used and if so, the florida lemon law does not apply. With a fried motor one day after purchase all sales final, if he doesn't give full refund I guess I am going to court. Did you get full refund from Prime Golf carts or the mfg? Where did you file the complaint at state level? Thanks for any help! Btw...I had a Gremlin too!
The 1st one I got had 16 miles on it, and failed at 20 miles! The 2nd one they finally sent me had 30 miles on it, and it failed at around 63 miles. The 1st one was s/n 000024, and the 2nd one was 000023. What is yours?

I paid $8500 brand new for mine a couple years ago.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Did your motor die at around 40mph? I was at 40mph first time, on the road for about 3/4 mile and boom...all done!
The 1st one failed at 40 MPH, after I had been going 50 MPG. The 2nd one failed floored at 50 MPH.

I believe it was the motor controller in both cases that failed, not the actual motor, but I cannot be sure. Prime hired some guy to try to get it running, and he thought the controller needed to be recoded, but he was un successful.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I'm hoping that their experience with you will lead to a fast refund for me!
I hope! For some time, they've been talking about a 311X (new & improved!) model. Last Fall, I contacted them about it. They said it should be out by December. Just checked their website, but no such model exists.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
A 311X would be great, I'd be interested. Who did you contact about this, do you have a number or link? Not ebay, Prime golf carts dealer just opened business in town and they had this sitting out front.
What town??? The 311 is a mirage. Never came about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What town??? The 311 is a mirage. Never came about.
It was sold here in florida, out of a lauderdale dealer. As that dealer expanded to north florida, a couple of the 311 he had made his lot. It seems they were sold without a mfg warranty, by the mfg to some dealers just to unload them as the company went OOB. Too bad, they are very unique, well built, with one major fault...they say they will do 50 mph but they should govern it to 35 max to save the motor!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
It was sold here in florida, out of a lauderdale dealer. As that dealer expanded to north florida, a couple of the 311 he had made his lot. It seems they were sold without a mfg warranty, by the mfg to some dealers just to unload them as the company went OOB. Too bad, they are very unique, well built, with one major fault...they say they will do 50 mph but they should govern it to 35 max to save the motor!
Prime Golf Cars in WPB is where mine came from. That's what the factory told me, that dealer acquired with NO warranty. But the Ebay ad listed a 1 year, 6,000 mile warranty, which I held the dealer to. But Ayro did take back the 1st one that failed, as I signed Title and sent it to them directly. Some guy who posted about it here, bought it at auction for $400.

Don't know what happened to the 2nd one they sent me and took back. The 3rd one they had could not even be made operable fro the get-go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I found the guy who bought an AEV 311 at auction...for $2400 not $400. Is this the one you are referring to? https://www.equipmentfacts.com/list...ctions/208619435/2019-austin-electric-aev-311

Anyway, I contacted the auctioneer to see if he could give me the number of the winner, because I am interested in buying parts off his 311 if it was not running. The auctioneer said they would contact the winner and see if he would sell parts. 10 minutes after I hung up, I got a call from the guy who won the auction. He said that he and his family loved it and they ride around the neighborhood once in awhile with no problems. I asked if he would sell parts and he said no, then I asked if he would sell the whole trike for 3K and he said yes. He has many projects going and this one has been on the back burner, that and medical problems, and he decided to let it go. So shipping it to me costs about 2K, and for a total of 5K I now have another. So far no problems and now I have all the replacement parts I need.

Yes there seems to be a weak link in the control module. I just sent one that failed off to FSIP for diagnostics and repair. If they can find the weak link in the controller, then maybe this will be very reliable. Right now I don't go over 40 mph and it runs fine.

I can honestly say that the quality of all parts is as good as any honda bike that I have seen...the dash, the seats, the wheels, body, backup camera, bluetooth radio, digital speedometer...all good quality...I certainly could not make something like this in my garage! And with a few tools I can take the whole thing apart!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I found the guy who bought an AEV 311 at auction...for $2400 not $400. Is this the one you are referring to? https://www.equipmentfacts.com/list...ctions/208619435/2019-austin-electric-aev-311

Anyway, I contacted the auctioneer to see if he could give me the number of the winner, because I am interested in buying parts off his 311 if it was not running. The auctioneer said they would contact the winner and see if he would sell parts. 10 minutes after I hung up, I got a call from the guy who won the auction. He said that he and his family loved it and they ride around the neighborhood once in awhile with no problems. I asked if he would sell parts and he said no, then I asked if he would sell the whole trike for 3K and he said yes. He has many projects going and this one has been on the back burner, that and medical problems, and he decided to let it go. So shipping it to me costs about 2K, and for a total of 5K I now have another. So far no problems and now I have all the replacement parts I need.

Yes there seems to be a weak link in the control module. I just sent one that failed off to FSIP for diagnostics and repair. If they can find the weak link in the controller, then maybe this will be very reliable. Right now I don't go over 40 mph and it runs fine.

I can honestly say that the quality of all parts is as good as any honda bike that I have seen...the dash, the seats, the wheels, body, backup camera, bluetooth radio, digital speedometer...all good quality...I certainly could not make something like this in my garage! And with a few tools I can take the whole thing apart!
$2K for shipping? You got taken to cleaners. Any update???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shipping was an issue because of the trike config. Won't fit on an open car carrier with 6 or 8 other cars because of that...that is the cheapest. So it had to go enclosed trailer. I had one shipper scheduled for $1500 which was the cheapest out there...then I waited for a month as they tried to find someone in CA to pick it up...so there is the other problem...CA..18 wheelers have to join a company...,no more private shippers...and those that do ship out of CA have to have some kind of special fuel additive. Anyway, they could not get a shipper. So I have a trailer and I was going to pick it up myself, until I figured it would cost me alot to drive there and back (from Fl). My tow vehicle, a van, gets 10 mpg empty, towing this back maybe 8 mpg. A 5000 mile round trip at avg 6 bucks per gallon would have cost me about 3K, plus meals if I sleep in the van. So 2K was a deal, covered delivered to my door.

It needs work, but everything works...mostly weather damage...rusty nuts and bolts. I am doing a nuts up restoration...its all apart right now as I sand prime and paint any rust on the frame. A local guy is doing a paint job on all the panels that I removed for $800 so I will have $5800 into this one. So far no problems driving the first one I bought. The control module went out the first week I drove it. I sent it to FSIP and was told there was moisture damage and it shorted out, also it could have been over current that did it. So I drive like an old lady, I don't put it to the floor like I did when I first got it, max speed about 40 and all is well. I'm not asking it to do 55 plus, just for local trips. So far so good, and lots of questions when people see it. Had 2 offers already, but I'm not selling it (them) yet!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Shipping was an issue because of the trike config. Won't fit on an open car carrier with 6 or 8 other cars because of that...that is the cheapest. So it had to go enclosed trailer. I had one shipper scheduled for $1500 which was the cheapest out there...then I waited for a month as they tried to find someone in CA to pick it up...so there is the other problem...CA..18 wheelers have to join a company...,no more private shippers...and those that do ship out of CA have to have some kind of special fuel additive. Anyway, they could not get a shipper. So I have a trailer and I was going to pick it up myself, until I figured it would cost me alot to drive there and back (from Fl). My tow vehicle, a van, gets 10 mpg empty, towing this back maybe 8 mpg. A 5000 mile round trip at avg 6 bucks per gallon would have cost me about 3K, plus meals if I sleep in the van. So 2K was a deal, covered delivered to my door.

It needs work, but everything works...mostly weather damage...rusty nuts and bolts. I am doing a nuts up restoration...its all apart right now as I sand prime and paint any rust on the frame. A local guy is doing a paint job on all the panels that I removed for $800 so I will have $5800 into this one. So far no problems driving the first one I bought. The control module went out the first week I drove it. I sent it to FSIP and was told there was moisture damage and it shorted out, also it could have been over current that did it. So I drive like an old lady, I don't put it to the floor like I did when I first got it, max speed about 40 and all is well. I'm not asking it to do 55 plus, just for local trips. So far so good, and lots of questions when people see it. Had 2 offers already, but I'm not selling it (them) yet!
Seems like a time bomb ready to fail!!! Mine failed at 40 MPH and at 20 miles on the odo.

What S/N do you have? I had 34, then 33. Best I can tell, only about 8 of them have been produced (or at least were Registered vehicles).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems like a time bomb ready to fail!!! Mine failed at 40 MPH and at 20 miles on the odo.

What S/N do you have? I had 34, then 33. Best I can tell, only about 8 of them have been produced (or at least were Registered vehicles).
They are S/N 32 and 60. 32 is the one that failed. It now has 130 miles on it. The one I had shipped to me, 60, has 110 miles on it. FSIP said the controller failed from one or two reasons...1) water damage (very possible, but not probable. (may have been condensation?) or 2) over-current. I suspect over-current so I am not pushing them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
They are S/N 32 and 60. 32 is the one that failed. It now has 130 miles on it. The one I had shipped to me, 60, has 110 miles on it. FSIP said the controller failed from one or two reasons...1) water damage (very possible, but not probable. (may have been condensation?) or 2) over-current. I suspect over-current so I am not pushing them.
The dealer said they brought some expert in that thought he could recode the controller, but he tried but couldn't.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts