Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
Can-Am Ryker 600, Ayro 311 Electric Reverse Trike
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just took delivery of an Ayro 311 ( https://ayro.com/ayro-311/ ) all electric autocycle/golf car/reverse trike, and something went horribly wrong at only around 20 miles on the speedo!

And it had about 16 miles on it when I got it. All was fine for a few miles, and I even had it at top speed of 50, but shortly after that, there was a horrible mechanical sound, and then I lost all power. Something mechanically broke in motor or transmission. Would not respond to accelerator pedal at all in forward or reverse until I manually pushed it a little bit while in gear, and then horrible impacting/grinding sound resulted with accelerator pushed.

They are picking it back up this week to have a look at it.

This image has been reduced by 70%. Click to view full size.

·
7,784 Posts
Nice looking and feature packed ride for sure!!

Report back about the problem and outcome.

Welcome to the forum.

Sam:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking and feature packed ride for sure!!

Report back about the problem and outcome.

Welcome to the forum.

Will do! They assured me they can get parts to fix it, but I am still concerned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting! Does it ride like an electric Cam-Am? Looks like it is front wheel drive, so could be transmission. Many/most electric tadpole trikes I've seen are single rear wheel drive. Yeah, let us know how the repair goes.

BC

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
Yep, keep us posted. Hopefully they can get it fixed relatively quickly. I know how something like this can sour your dreams but this is all new technology. Not that that helps much but since there is no internal combustion engine a relative simple tranny swap could get you going again and they can do some serious investigation as to the cause of the failure. That's what I'd want anyway because that would benefit everyone in the long run. 👍

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting! Does it ride like an electric Cam-Am? Looks like it is front wheel drive, so could be transmission. Many/most electric tadpole trikes I've seen are single rear wheel drive. Yeah, let us know how the repair goes.

BC
It is a bit too soon to say if it rides like the Ryker. They say it is very stable. I just went a couple miles. Yes, it is surprisingly front wheel drive, so no chain, belt or shaft to worry about. Motor is in the front.

Being FWD, we can easily tow it behind our RV with a tow dolly. I did tow it home the few miles at low speed in neutral w/o any odd noises.

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
I did tow it home the few miles at low speed in neutral w/o any odd noises.
I hope they don't use that as a way to get out of warranty work. Sometimes there are specific things that need to be done in order to tow something but if it's all up front I really don't know what could possibly caused a failure by towing it. But if there is a way to worm out, most do. Harley even warns about having flags on their trikes as a way to cause failures.

Reactions: Porky

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,146 Posts
Good luck with the repairs, hope it is fixed soon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update! The dealer apparently contacted the factory, and determined it sounds like a bad motor, and factory is sending them a new one. They'll come get the 311 when it comes in, unless they decide to attempt to swap it out at my house (about an hour away from West Palm Beach dealership).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update II

Well, it has been 2 full weeks since the breakdown and it is still broke in my garage. :cry: But I am making progress. Just spoke with someone in Service Dept. @ AYRO, & I believe things will finally get moving now. Seems the dealer is dragging their feet. Further update coming hopefully soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YET ANOTHER UPDATE:

I'm dealing with both the dealer (who is dragging their feet and AYRO). Turns out that the dealer bought the unit "on the cheap" with NO manufacturer's warranty!!! I never heard of buying ANYTHING brand new w/o ANY manufacturer's warranty. AYRO said the dealer is self-warrantying it. This explains why they are dragging their feet. But I have a copy of their Ebay ad which clearly says it has a 2 year, 6,000 mile warranty, and I'll hold them to it. The only potential problem, is I can only go to them for repairs under warranty, and they are an hour away, and in the unlikely event we moved away, it would be impractical to have them repair it.

The AYRO guy called me Friday & said he spoke with the dealer, and the dealer would be calling me to pick it up. He also said to call him back, if they don't call me by end of day Monday. I fully expected to have to call him back Tues. A.M., but I was pleasantly surprised when the dealer called a short time afterwards. But still, they can't come any sooner than Wednesday - better late than never.

·
Nightfly
4,335 Posts
It's always a little chancy getting involved with a new startup company but seems to be some qualified people behind this company. Can't imagine how the dealer you bought from sold you a unit that came without warranty, I guess anything can happen but you do have proof of warranty from their ad so there's that. Wish you the best of luck. Terrible service does not look good for a new company nor the dealer trying to make money. Not a good way to treat a customer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's always a little chancy getting involved with a new startup company but seems to be some qualified people behind this company. Can't imagine how the dealer you bought from sold you a unit that came without warranty, I guess anything can happen but you do have proof of warranty from their add so there's that. Wish you the best of luck. Terrible service does not look good for a new company nor the dealer trying to make money. Not a good way to treat a customer.
The dealer (a golf car company) has somewhat bad reviews. The manufacturer seems genuinely concerned and is trying to help make things right for me. I'm surprised they would have sold some w/o any warranty in the 1st place. When I talked with more than one person at Prime Golf Cars, both acted surprised like they were unaware that there was no manufacturer's warranty.

Also odd is that in the small vinyl paperwork folder that came with it is a Florida Registration with the Manufacturer as owner. So technically (in Florida's eyes) it seems like I'm the 2nd owner even though it was advertised as brand new. My Registration says it had 10 miles when registered, but it had 16 miles on it when it was delivered.

They do advertise renting these out. They've had it for nearly a year, and I hope it wasn't a rental and they somehow turned back the odometer!

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Attorney time!

Not if the fix it, which they are supposed to be doing. Besides, I'd go the small claims court w/o attorney if it came to that. I'd threaten to go to BBB, small claims court & post at ripoffreport.com.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Well three weeks after breakdown down, they finally agree to pick up unit, but not until 4 days after that. Now 4+ weeks later, they say they think the problem is a bad potentiometer (I assume they mean throttle position sensor), and supposedly today a new one is on order. So hopefully by late next week at the latest I FINALLY get it back & it is working.

BTW: I've never heard of a TPS suddenly just quitting. They've always just worn out & become noisy/erratic. I hope they are correct.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well they FINALLY got the part in that they "thought" was bad, installed it, and it didn't fix the problem!!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts