Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I just bought an 02 Suzuki GS500. The VIN and all the contact information checked out but I stupidly forgot to check the mileage on the title.

According to the VIN check, it was issued on 11/16/10 with 12,510 miles, and then again (to the owner I just bought it from) on 5/31/11 with 13,000 miles exactly.

As of the purchase date (7/9/15), the odometer reads 12,646! She signed the Title over with the correct mileage along w/ all her contact information so it seems kind of a reach to be odometer tampering, but this is the first vehicle I've ever purchased. What should I do? (This is in Virginia, by the way)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I wouldn't make much of it. Some people just naturally round up when they do these things. Does the bike run well? Did they tell you it had been sitting for a long time? That would be my biggest concern, that no mileage had accrued since 2011. Did you get a good deal on the bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been sitting for a while but is in seemingly good condition. Starts right up with no chugging, brakes/clutch are very responsive and it shifts smoothly. Gonna change the oil and probably clean the carbs before I start riding, as well as treat some minor surface rust on the exhaust.
The thing that scares me is problems from the DMV when I title something with 350 less miles than was reported 4 years ago...

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
They don't require an inspection of the odometer when transferring a title here. Do you have to have the motorcycle at the DMV when getting a new title or just the paperwork?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Yeah, l would just go title it and ride it. My guess is the last owner said "About 13,000" and that's what they put down, and he never rode it. I mean, what are the chances of it landing EXACTLY on 13,000 anyway?

And as far as that carb clean goes, if it is running okay, l would forego that and run some Seafoam through a few tanks of gas. Follow the instructions on the bottle because if you use too much it can cause problems.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I think here if the bike is over 10 years old, the odometer reading isn't necessary anyway.

Don't worry about it, just plate it and ride, you bought the bike you want, enjoy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts