Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first off ive been into the automotive scene for a while now and i am now just jumping into the 2-wheel club!
i bought a 1982 honda ft500 ascot for $300.00 lastnight and i i think i got a good buy.
the chain is a little rusty from sitting the past 2 years and the starter is crap, but i here that in this model that is something pretty common. so here is my first question.....i have been searching for a replacement starter for this bike and it seems like they dont exist....lol so my next idea was to just swap a kickstart but i couldnt find anything on it either.....i was just wondering what you guys thought and what idea yall might have?
my goal for this bike is to freshen up everything, work the brakes, change the oil and chain and then do some smaill cosmetic stuff for now. i want to change out the ugly headlight for a 7inch round one and do a cafe style handlebar and seat setup.
let me know if you guys have any ideas. thank alot and im happy to be apart of yalls group!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I would try to locate a place that can rebuild the current starter. It can usually be done a lot cheaper than buying new.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
eating crow and kissing a** is sometimes required when doing a fixerupper thing.

you should think about complete restoration, to original stock if you want to make money with it, but then again, custom bikes are fun to build if you are a miser!

oil the chain in a coffeecan full of 30w for about a week, working it everyday.

starters usually never go bad, probably the brushes, you might use some that are bigger out of something else and cut them to fit. if it won't rotate, you will need to free the rotor berings, use some WD-40, and some penetrating oil, and work it until it gets free.

as for the rest of the machine, it is going to take more than overnight. take your time, buy some steel wool, and cut up your old torn shirts for rags, those paper rolls are more for wiping the grease cutter from your hands...

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I was thinking the starter motor issue was probably brushes too. Can you turn it by hand?

On the chain issue, if you are going to replace the chain there are good odds that both front and rear sprockets are in need of changing. If the teeth have any hooking to them, replace the set. Chains can be checked for wear/stretch - see this link: http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_and_maintenance/how_to04.shtml

Depending upon the degree of rust you may want to just scrap it. If it is an O-ring chain have a look at each and every O-ring to see what kind of condition it is in. If any are missing or buggered up, replace the chain.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Kerosine makes a great chain cleaner, a little scrubbing after a nice day bath or so will clean it right up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts