Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode in the rain, as its been raining all this week, and now my front wheel has a light squeaking sound as it rotates. I am convinced it just needs grease or lube? I am wanting to know what you guys would recommend, and how should I apply it? Thank you in advance!

-Vixxen

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Does it change when the brakes are applied?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
First you might want to find out exactly where the squeaking is coming from. It's not uncommon for a brake disk to pick up a little rust and the pads then drag slightly, making a squeak noise. If it's your wheel bearings that are now squeaking then you'll have to remove the wheel itself and re-pack or replace the bearings.

If you can block up the front of the bike just enough to rotate the wheel and listen and feel carefully that would be a big help. When does it make the noise?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its when I am just rolling the bike at a slow speed. Once it gets to about 10mph it goes away. Doesn't change with brake being applied. It sounds like its from the center of the wheel kind of but cant be sure. I will block it up and spin the wheel and see

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Check for lateral play in the wheel bearings as well. If it is the bearings that are making noise, they need to be tended to right away.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
And by right away, don't even try to drive it till it gets fixed. Take a page from my sons book. He spent 2,000 on a used car. He knew that the wheel bearing was going bad but decided to try and drive it to work to fix it there on the lift. Well, the bearing let go, and the wheel fell off. He had to ride the curb to stop, which eventually sent him into oncoming traffic. A slight fender bender, but it could have been much worse. 2,000 down the drain and a 250 tow bill. Unibody was twisted, so no sense fixing it, but he still had to pay off the car.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Squeak

As already mentioned.
The front discs will often squeak. You notice it while pushing the bike with the engine off.
Wheel bearing usually last many years. But a friend's Harley had them fail fairly quickly.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
13 Posts
ck for sand, pebbles between the pads & rotor. performance machine recomends only soap& water as a lubricant.
don't use brke clean etc becuase they deteriorate the rubber seals

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
ASSUMING: applying brakes doesn't make sound go away...

Get her up to 30 mph cut the engine off and coast. See if you can isolate the sound --- wheel, speedometer cable, etc. Riding NEXT to a concrete wall makes it easier to hear sounds......or get someone else to ride it and pedal alongside on a bicycle.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Brake Klean doesn't deteriorate rubber seals. It's made specifically to clean brake components without damage and without leaving any residue. (It's also popular, for that reason, to spray out firearms when cleaning.)

PM doesn't recommend soap and water as a seal lubricant. For quad seals and other parts when putting calipers and master cylinders's back together they recommend a specific lubricant that is, I think, silicon based. "Syl Glide," or something of that nature.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
What was Elroy Jetson's dog's name?

"Syl Glide" from NAPA is pure silicone lubricant.

Generates a lot less snickering, uncomfortable questions, stinkeye..... in the shop than when SOMEONE whips out a tube of Astro-Glide... or so I"m told!

I use it in electrical connectors, on hose barbs, bulb sockets, on suspension bushings, all over the damn place.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Lubricant-Multi-Purpose-Sil-Glyde-Lubricates-Prevents-Sticking-On-Rubber-Metal-Wood-Plastic/_/R-BK_7651351_0434860703

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys rock. Im not thinking its a wheel bearing. The squeak is also almost completely non existent you can only barely hear it when you are just moving the bike sometimes and it sounds to be from the front wheel area around the brake and disk but not sure. I will try and pin point it when i have time. Im taking it for a tune up anyways so i might mention it and have a professional help me. If it were my 200 I would DIY but I also defer to a trained pro with my baby.

I learned tons and im buying that sil-glide for my mini wanna be shop for future use. Does astro glide really work wade? o.0 haha

Thanks tons guys. <3 Nothing but love.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Did you check the tightness on your front fender bolts?
I'll expand on that.............just because it's important..........aside from the squeaking.........."did you check the tightness of EVERYTHING?! Always a good practice............squeaking or NOT!

-Soupy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts