Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
1,873 Posts
Some motorcycle can be jumped via a running car and would get off lucky. All the bikes I have owned none would survive a running car connected to it, and could not tolerate a high CCA battery either. If you jump start a bike it is best never to have it running. I have seen and witnessed two bikes not blow a fuse and it fried the cdi on one and the electronics in the other bike so that it would no longer run once disconnected from the running car. It is not universal for killing a bike but it is common practice to not try that with a bike.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You can have the car running and get away with it but it is pointless to do that, the charging system running is not going to help over a fully charged car battery much. And begging for computer problems which go way beyond simpler DC stuff. As well, bikes because of the use and smaller units used tend to foul batteries in ways (short circuits) that can damage other things hooked into the systems and why again go looking for even more trouble.

You may now be risking even with car not running as so many car batteries are now adding semiconductor devices into the very battery post locations themselves now. Beginning to pick up on people jumping using cars jumping and to get damage at the batteries now that show up as charging system codes or similar. .

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

I note they push the emergency starting packs which I just railed against higher up. The reason being I never get stranded as I tend to change batteries and such ahead of time and I fix the charging systems myself. They just really don't break down. Why I don't do the starting pack thing.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts