Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I each have a 2011 Suzuki VStrom DL650, our first bikes ever as we just started riding in May. We also have top cases that draw a bit of power as they have battery for the remote unlock and extra braking lights . I rode my bike last week on Friday in the evening and it's Tuesday AM today. I started the bike 2 times (we were still home) but then the next time I needed to restart, it was just about dead. Tried to jump it with a regular car starter kit but, besides having clamps much too big for those little tiny battery screws, when we did get the lights to show, the only sound we heard was click click click click.

Is there a way to jump start these things? It's a mystery to us. We have had to just plug them in for hours to the charger. What's the story? How long should you run a motorcycle before you can safely shut it off without fear of draining the battery. I love riding but I hate this problem.

Blowing off steam. Really nice day and really needed to ride.

Clio

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
To jump a dying battery, take it out, set it on the ground, and jump over it...

Sorry, HAD to say it lol.
Seriously, if you want to just jumpstart it, I highly recommend one of these.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XP400-Jump-Starter/15140202

Then I might consider getting a new battery, and it would not hurt to have the charging system checked out. Just to make sure that your charging system is working

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a defective battery since it's not responding to being charged on a charger. No manufacturing process is perfect, and sometimes there are duds. I've seen it many times working at a new car dealership.

Go buy yourself a new battery, fill it with electrolyte and charge it on the lowest setting overnight (usually around 2 amps).

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
You could always take his battery. Something doesn't sound right, loose connections, battery, charging system among other stuff. No warranty left from dealer? You should be able to take battery to auto parts store and have it checked for free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously, if you want to just jumpstart it, I highly recommend one of these.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XP400-Jump-Starter/15140202

Then I might consider getting a new battery, and it would not hurt to have the charging system checked out. Just to make sure that your charging system is working
That charger looks very much like the one we have and used. The batteries do seem to lose charge awfully quickly. Guess that's not really the norm. Tom is going to look into the charging system. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds to me like you have a defective battery since it's not responding to being charged on a charger. No manufacturing process is perfect, and sometimes there are duds. I've seen it many times working at a new car dealership.

Go buy yourself a new battery, fill it with electrolyte and charge it on the lowest setting overnight (usually around 2 amps).
Do motorcycle batteries drain faster in cold weather? It was just standing in the barn for about 3.5 days. So much to learn.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Cold weather does have an adverse affect, but not as quickly or severely as it's happening to you. It's just defective. If it were only giving you trouble when relying on the bike to charge it, I'd suspect a problem with the bike, but since you've also put it on a charger and it's still dying, it's a bad battery.

A car's charging system is too powerful for a bike battery. You can jump it with a car, but not a running car.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
That was not a charger I got, but a portable jumper. That is not set up to charge a car or motorcycle battery but to give a boost to be able to start the vehicle.

I figured since you mentioned jumpstarting the bike...

The other way is to push the bike up a good size hill, pull out the choke, get on, turn on the ignition and kill switch, put her in 2nd, hold the clutch in while getting it to roll down hill, and when you get enough speed, pop the clutch. Usually, there is enough juice left in the battery so, combined with the turning over of the engine this way, you can get it to fire up. (dont know if it would work if the battery is 100% dead though...)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had the same thing happen yesterday,tried to start the bike after sitting for a few days and it would not turn over enough to start, after a few tries it was click click click click.

My bikes a new Suzuki GS 500 didn't want to jump it off that car and don't have a charger yet,so I took the battery inside the house to warm it up and see if that helped,after an hour it was hooked back up and turned the bike over like normal and started right up .Not sure if this is a cold related problem with the battery or what,it's been stored in a garage and temps have been in the 30's during the nightime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts