Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a dead battery the other day and couldn’t start via popping the clutch. Is there a way to jump start with my trickle charge connector? I hate to take off the seat or ? to jump start (I read do it without the car running). I’d like to make it as easy as possible for next time. I have a 2009 Honda shadow aero. What options do I have with a dead battery when I’m not at home.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Your only safe option is removing whatever it takes to gain access to the battery terminals. Unless you want to make your own heavy gauge jump start connector similar to your battery tender connector. Then you would just have to get to the battery once to put your new connector on and use it for your battery tender. But since you'll be getting in there, why not put a new battery in instead?

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
You have a few options. Buy a new battery and a battery tender. Install them both. If you park the bike at another location for long periods, buy another tender of the same type.

Once upon a time we push started the bikes. They mostly had magnetos, that were self exciting.

There are down sides to using a car battery to jump start a bike.
Short version. Modern bikes with starter motors, require a good battery.

UK

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I jumped my Goldwing at the start of the season. The battery had charge, but not enough to start in ~30 degree weather. I hooked the bike's battery and leads up to my car's battery, got it started, then let it charge itself.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
The conductors in the battery tender cable are many times too small to carry the current your starter motor draws, and will melt the insulation off in seconds, and maybe the wires too. If you repeatedly have low battery problems, and the cause is not a bad battery, then you need to find the fault in your wiring.

Reactions: RonK
1 - 5 of 5 Posts