Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My new bike is a mess and I'm hoping to clean her up with your wise advice, going to have to resell thanks to California's new Corona lockdown; I'm broke.
This is a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE.
Bike has been dropped by previous owner on a track at least twice. Fairings have been replaced, all that's left are some deep battle scars on the metal parts of the bike.

Part 1: Left Handlebars (Specifically Clutch Lever)
1.jpg

I will have to take off the whole lever system (anything I should be worried about? Never disassembled the clutch lever before) and sand down the scratched areas (200, to 600 grit?) and repaint.
What kind of spray paint do I use for this part? I was thinking of using:
Rust-Oleum 7798830 Semi Gloss Black Protective Enamel Spray Paint
It would have to match or at least not be noticeably different from the other handlebar. I will also have to paint that scratched metal bolt the same to mask the rash, I did find the replacement bolt online (Kawasaki BOLT, CLUTCH LEVER 92154-0066) but with shipping it'd cost $12 to replace. Also, the empty bolt hole, is there supposed to be a bolt there? It rides fine without it, just not sure what its for, maybe the stock clutch lever needed it?

Part 2: Left Engine Cover
2.jpg

I'll take off the fairing, sand the exterior (200 to 600 grit?), mask the adjacent surfaces and repaint the cover.
What paint do I use for the engine cover? I was looking at:
Rust-Oleum 248903 12-ounce 2000 Degree, Flat Black Automotive High Heat Spray Paint
However, it is FLAT Black, and the engine covers look more Satin, if I were to paint this left cover with Flat Black, would the other side look funky?

Part 3: Exhaust Muffler
3.jpg

Yeah this one is pretty bad. The heat shield is completely gone, and the end cap has a bad disfigurement. The muffler itself has some dents on the lower end.
I'll detach the muffler and sand down all the scratched areas (200-600 grit?) and paint it. I'm going to use the paint that I mentioned for the engine cover (unless you have another suggestion):
Rust-Oleum 248903 12-ounce 2000 Degree, Flat Black Automotive High Heat Spray Paint
I'll have to coat the entire muffler, debating if I should cover the metal end cap, too. It won't look perfect, but it'll cover up the eyesore at least. I see replacement OEM mufflers on eBay for ~$100 but if I plan on reselling this bike wouldn't it be a waste to drop $100 on a muffler that a new owner is probably going to replace for an aftermarket anyway?

Part 4: Left Foot Peg Area
4.jpg

There's a little bit of rust developing by the foot peg bolts, should I be worried? Should I take off the whole mechanism and clean up the rust and paint it over? Is the gear shift lever difficult to detach/reattach?

Finally, Part 5: Swingarm
5.jpg

I'm not how to clean this area up because of the 'Chain Information' sticker plastered on the side, I would like to just sand a little bit of the scratches down and paint with the spray paint from Part 1: Left Clutch Lever, but I'm afraid it would still leave the sticker apparently scratched. Also, if the paint doesn't match the rest of the swingarm it'll look catastrophic.

If you've gotten this far, thank you so much for giving your time to read over my dilemma. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

·
8,585 Posts
Your chain is bad, like I mentioned in one of your previous posts.

Kawasaki probably sells paints to match your bike.

There are ant-corrosive sprays that will clean and stop the little bit of rust by your shifting lever.

You will never make the exhaust look good. Paint it with VHT black or GOOGLE 'used 300 Ninja exhaust,' or buy an aftermarket one where it will sound better than a lawn mower.:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Your chain is bad, like I mentioned in one of your previous posts.

Kawasaki probably sells paints to match your bike.

There are ant-corrosive sprays that will clean and stop the little bit of rust by your shifting lever.

You will never make the exhaust look good. Paint it with VHT black or GOOGLE 'used 300 Ninja exhaust,' or buy an aftermarket one where it will sound better than a lawn mower.:)

Sam:)
Good advice Sam. Additionally, I would add that if you put any meaningful amount of money into this bike, with the intention of reselling it, it will be a waste. The bike has been hashed, and any prospective buyer will likely see it, regardless of how much lipstick you put on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts