Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everybody's got their own recipe for a clean windshield WITHOUT micro-scratching/swirling it.

Here's my CURRENT scheme:

1) Never, EVER use the squeegee/stick thing at gas stations. Empty the bucket ONE TIME and observe all the grit in the bottom...

2) Soften the bugs by putting a wet towel / t-shirt over your screen (while you eat dinner, whatever)

2.1 If at home, I pour a pot of near-boiling water ONTO the already wet towel/t-shirt.

3) Remove towel, rinse screenwith tap water. On the road, bottled water, whatever you can get.

Hopefully you rinse off any sand/abrasive particles with this step.

3) Use a non-abrasive sponge like the one pictured below in either an UP AND DOWN or back and forth motion. Do NOT do circles unless you want CIRCULAR swirls.

(With or without a little Dawn dishwashing detergent)

5) Do as little scrubbing as absolutely required. Polycarbonate is like your rear end, wipe one too many times and you'll regret it.

6) Spray shield with Eyeglass cleaner (large size, from Wally World) (safe for glass, polycarbonate, plexiglass, ... mostly alcohol) I carry this with me in the glove box / pannier.

7) Using a FRESH surface of a soft cotton towell, t-shirt, old underwear, wipe delicately, up and down, NOT in circles! Minimize the # of wipes, and TURN or FOLD after each stroke so you get fresh cotton for each stroke!

The LAST thing you want to do is pick up a piece of grit on ONE stroke and drag it across the shield 5 other strokes! Learned THAT waxing cars!

Call it good. Even if it's not PERFECT, still some jellied bug juice, hopefully after doing this 50 times over 50 rides your screen isn't...impossible to see through because of all the swirling.

And when it is.... ORDER A NEW SHIELD!

Expert at MC shop sez he can send shields out for polishing, using #2000 grit, etc, Meguiars, whatever, but....never met anyone who had any real success doing it at home. The polycarbonate yellows as well as getting scratched as it ages and sometimes it's just gotta be renewed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good advice.

I have had the same windshield since I got my bike and luckily it has not started to yellow. I am not too picky about scratches, but have not noticed much. I use a plastic cleaner and make sure to use soft cloths NOT paper towels. I guess in the future I need to be more careful.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make sure to use soft cloths NOT paper towels. .
That's VERY good advice. Paper towels, esp the brown ones can really do a number on a polycarbonate windscreen.

Old cotton BV&D's.....nice and soft, laundered a thousand times.... holy....and besides, keeping a pair in the saddlebags for when you NEED a change of underwear thanks to some inattentive driver...

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I've read that if you pour Hydrogen Peroxide over them, let it sink in for around 5 minutes, they will wipe off very easily. I have not tried that yet, but I plan to try it in the Spring.

As to towels, I use an inexpensive micro-fiber towel. I've used them for several years now, without any scratches -- as stated, be aware of grit, and be sure to wash them periodically! I also use a micro-fiber towel to wash my entire bike with, being careful of grit picked up.

What I've been using for a cleaner, for 6+ years, is Lemon Pledge. It will strip off bug juice, but you will want to let it soak for a few minutes, to soften them up. Pledge will not harm the plastic, but it will strip off wax from your hard parts, if you apply it. We carry a can of Lemon Pledge, and micro-fiber towels, on board, when we tour. Great stuff. If the Hydrogen peroxide works with less effort, I'll carry a bottle on the bike, along with the Pledge (great general purpose cleaner, even though it strips virtually everything off). Cheers!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
We've been using Novus and a micro-fiber towel since 2005 and have never had scratched windshields. I carry a bottle in the trunk of the Victory. When we're on a trip I clean our windshields every morning before we take off from the motel and never had a problem cleaning bugs off.

https://www.novuspolish.com/

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I use baby wipes...they are soft and have a basic cleaner in them that is safe for just about anything...after all, it is safe for your baby. The package is easy to carry in my backpack as well

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
We've been using Novus and a micro-fiber towel since 2005 and have never had scratched windshields. I carry a bottle in the trunk of the Victory. When we're on a trip I clean our windshields every morning before we take off from the motel and never had a problem cleaning bugs off.

https://www.novuspolish.com/
X2 on the Novus. A coworker turned me onto the stuff last summer.
And even if you are careless and get some scratches, they make some great scratch remover too.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Expert at MC shop sez he can send shields out for polishing, using #2000 grit, etc, Meguiars, whatever, but....never met anyone who had any real success doing it at home. The polycarbonate yellows as well as getting scratched as it ages and sometimes it's just gotta be renewed.
Actually, my brother's bike had a lot of swirling on the windshield when I got his vstar, I have a lexan polish that I got for my display cases awhile back and it worked amazing with a small polisher. Got rid of all the swirls and just brought this ol windshield back to life minus a couple of deeper small gouges.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts