Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched one of the recent videos at Jay Leno's Garage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA1iV0Dbn-0). Besides wishing I had the money to buy up old (and new) bikes like Jay does, its a great video to think again about the plain fun and thrill of riding a good motorcycle. The Brough was like the Rolls Royce of motorcycles (pronounced like "rough" with a "b" in front), maybe compared to a Bimota today, and its likely I will never even sit on one, but its nice to dream.

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
Thanks for posting Jay's video, I love these old vintage bikes. Jay always has the proper respect for them. Glad he didn't do a restoration on it. Beautiful bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Very cool video, thanks!

I often wonder... what bike(s) built today will achieve legendary status & be admired most, ~50 years from now?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Lawrence of Arabia, or Aircraftsman Ross as he was calling himself at the time, was killed riding a Brough Superior, apparently when he dodged to avoid two schoolchildren on the road. I think it was his 5th Brough - so if you imagine ever sitting on one, here's a guy who owned five of them.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
One of my favorite bikes! I love the history of Jay's bike, and what's written inside the tank!

Interesting though.. just shy of 1000cc and a tiiiiny little carburetor. At least that's what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wow, got to view the uTube video, he sure loves his machinery doesn't he.

There's a chapter in the book "Sons of Thunder" (a selected anthology about motorbikes by Neil Radford) by T E Lawrence about riding his Brough Superior, as well as a letter he wrote to George Brough extolling the bike. In the front pages of the book there's a quote by T E Lawrence:

"In speed we hurl ourselves beyond the body,
Our bodies cannot scale the heavens except in a fume of petrol
Bones. Blood. Flesh.
All pressed inward together."

He was a real petrolhead.

I recommend "Sons of Thunder", it's a good read. The first chapter by Melissa Holbrook Pierson really describes how she feels riding her bike. Pieces from such authors as hunter S Thompson, Ted Simon, Valentino Rossi, Roald Dahl, Alberto Granado (Che Guervara's riding buddy) and Robert M Persig.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
...........I often wonder... what bike(s) built today will achieve legendary status & be admired most, ~50 years from now?
I don't know about "legendary" in terms of the status of it, because it is such a "middle of the road" grouping.............but that said.......I believe the ACE Series Shadows (discontinued in 2003) have a place in the history of motorcycling, as Honda's attempt to fulfill the cruiser market craving, without the high price tag.

But I'm biased, of course. (lol)

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
"In speed we hurl ourselves beyond the body,
Our bodies cannot scale the heavens except in a fume of petrol
Bones. Blood. Flesh.
All pressed inward together."
Wow, great quote! Lawrence was a gifted and fascinating man in many regards.

Another of my favorite gearheads of that era was Werner Voss. A devout tinkerer and rider, he is also considered by many to have been a better pilot then von Richtofen, although he didn't live long enough to equal his score.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about "legendary" in terms of the status of it, because it is such a "middle of the road" grouping.............but that said.......I believe the ACE Series Shadows (discontinued in 2003) have a place in the history of motorcycling, as Honda's attempt to fulfill the cruiser market craving, without the high price tag.

But I'm biased, of course. (lol)

-Soupy
I too have a A.C.E. (2003), nice bike. Thing is mine has several add-ons, windshield, freeway bars, sissy bar, mud flap (front), and an eagle hood ornament. :) Notice I did not say modification as the pipes and power plant are stock. So I do not think mine will be a classic, let alone a legend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts