Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I was wondering what kind of jackets (brand/material/style/etc.) you all use, or would suggest for a new rider. I don't have a motorcycle yet, but I am planning on getting a cruiser in the near future, and am going to learn to ride soon. I'd like to have all my gear when I get the bike. Any input would helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't realize there was a forum for this! Sorry! Admin can take this down, I can't figure out how to delete it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I wear a Sedici textile jacket, armored. I think it cost about $179 at Cycle Gear, not sure, it was a Christmas gift. It has great vents for hot weather and a liner for the cold. A very good jacket for everything l have come across thus for...but Summer is coming ;)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Assuming you have access to brick-n-mortar stores in your area, where you can browse around............

If not, there are a few good sources online, but it depends on the "kind" of riding you are going to do.

For example: "Cycle Gear" (store) tends to be more "Power Ranger" (forgive) focused (Rice Rocket bikes), where a Harley Shop will tend to be more "Cruiser" focused.

Once you have a style of riding squared away, then you can "have at it" as you wish. Online (YouTube) you can find a TON of useful info about just about anything you need to research (as you probably know).

"I" chose the "Rebel" world (if you will), in the Cruiser style of riding, so MY choices of clothing took me down THAT road. In either case, "Leather" is the more logical choice for protection, and you can find a whole range of grades of "Leather," in terms of quality and thickness.

Breathable "Leather" is always a plus in the heat of the Summer, where thicker, more buttoned down Leathers will be more suited to the cold morning and evening rides.

In the helmet world.........again.....you can research the heck out of the topic. Basically you want at LEAST a "DOT" rating (Dept of Transportation) and if you can find it, a SNELL Rating as well (independant Lab testing). Deciding if you want a full face helmet or half or three quarter, is up to you. It's a comfort thing. (Note: if you wear glasses, that comes into play on your choice of helmet styles as well. There ARE Prescription Goggles available, if you want to go that route).

Gloves and Boots..............the protection of your ankles by ankle high boots will be required by your BRC when you take it (and you SHOULD!! You get ten percent off on your Insurance if you do, and they teach you some really great stuff!!) and I recommend continuing to wear them; even higher boots if you want. Gloves are varied and style dependent to some degree........padding, padding, padding is the motto for safety, in any "gear" you buy.

Leg wear..........I see so many out there wearing just "jeans" but I tell you truly..........jeans are, well..........let some of the folks in HERE tell you about just wearing jeans, and how little they really protect you. I'm obviously an advocate for chaps.

Decide your style of riding, then go browse the stores, see what fits your budget and style preference..........I don't advise that you go "cheap, cheap," but I WOULD suggest that you don't have to spend a TON of money to get good sturdy gear.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I bought a leather jacket about 30 years ago that has lasted just fine, and I still wear it on cold days. It's a knock off of a Schott but is actually a well made knock off, and there are plenty of other good brands out there. Look through a JP Cycles catalog, or browse their website, for ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info! I'm going to get a cruiser, and I'm thinking about getting a Tour Master Transition 3, because it is an all-weather jacket. I don't have a huge budget, so I want to get one jacket that I can use all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Armor?

I've done a little more research, and now I'm not as sure about the Transition 3. One reason I'm interested in that one is because of the armor. I really prefer the look of leather, but from most of the ones (in my price range) that I've looked at, most of the leather jackets don't accept armor. What is everyone's opinion on armor? Is it better to have textile with armor, or leather without armor?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Go with armor regardless of the material. The armor of for impact the material is for the slide. I have a leather jacket that I have retired to being a casual jacket (took the armor out) as well as three textile jacket. far lighter and more comfortable than my leather which is why I retired it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
l have a leather jacket with no armor and a textile jacket with armor. Since getting the textile armored jacket, my leather jacket has been retired. l would buy the most protective piece of gear you can afford, regardless of the material. When l started riding l bought what l felt was reasonably suitable gear, then when l could l replaced it with the gear l really wanted. So l have spares of most everything, other than a couple of things l have given to new riders.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I stopped wearing armor when people stopped shooting at me. :biggrin: But seriously....

I'd say it depends on your riding style and skills. If I rode more aggressively and was out to race or blast through the twisties or do something where a crash was more likely I'd be sure to wear more gear.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
Jackets

I have a Barbour oiled cotton jacket from the IOM in 71. An Alpinestars textile jacket, and a leather jacket for the warmer months. I switch depending on the weather. Leather is no good for rain, so I carry a rain coat with me.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd say it depends on your riding style and skills. If I rode more aggressively and was out to race or blast through the twisties or do something where a crash was more likely I'd be sure to wear more gear.

What he said.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd say riding skills are noob, at this point, considering he doesn't even own a bike yet. That being said, ATGATT at this point - full face helmet and armor for sure.

Like many said to me when I started riding - there are only two types of bikers that are out there - those who have been down and those who will go down. I know that's not 100% true but its damn close. And there is nothing I know that personally changed my riding style than going down the first time. ATGATT saved my life and body more than once.

You need to remember that going down may have little to do with riding skill as some people in cages just do stupid sh*t with no concerns to us on two wheels. Experience helps us avoid those, but some are unavoidable, even by the most experience riders...so inexperience needs more protection!

Good luck with learning - and a BRC is a must!

3G

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I've done a little more research, and now I'm not as sure about the Transition 3. One reason I'm interested in that one is because of the armor. I really prefer the look of leather, but from most of the ones (in my price range) that I've looked at, most of the leather jackets don't accept armor. What is everyone's opinion on armor? Is it better to have textile with armor, or leather without armor?

Thanks so much!
Some years ago, I bought a breathable jacket made of man-made materials. I was surprised after I bought it to discover hard plastic inserts in the sleeves for the elbows, and I think there were a couple of other spots that had the plastic pieces as well.

I don’t wear that jacket very often, but I suppose having the inserts in there, certainly provide an additional amount of protection.

It’s not a bad looking jacket, and I don’t really have a reason not to wear it, I just don’t. Perhaps with this new choice of a motorcycle with a sidecar, I may change my mind about that and wear it more often.

A buddy of mine here has had a lot to say about the “Transition” jackets. He seems to like them a lot!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like my Tourmaster Transition 4, was still ok catching the tail end of summer with the vents open at 96F.

Kept me dry when weather got wet for a while.
Keeping me now warm in the 40F mornings.
I'll eventually have to layer when it gets colder will see about its liner.

The vents to let air blow through makes this at least a 3/4 year jacket, until I'll dust off my mesh jacket for the height of summer.

The armor in it is not in the way, good to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Love my LL Bean Fleece Lined Leather Bomber Jacket .. If truly cold layer it underneath with Nylon Thermals .. Layers is the Key to staying warm and good wind blockage on the outer layer ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts