Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the early onset of winter like weather, here it is November 23rd and I think that it has been about 6 weeks already that other than two short rides I have not had my bike out of the garage. I go through my garage to reach my cars and see two shapes under nylon covers and almost forget what is under there. Now it looks like I will be traveling to the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago in early February by myself. My regular crew of three friends and myself have gone every year for the last decade or two, and yet now I am the only one still riding actively (despite being the oldest of the four of us by far) so it looks like I will attend that show solo this year. I add all this to the cold, gray skies outside, and that my next door neighbor, a fellow Vietnam vet 5 years younger than me is being buried today and I feel pretty damn discouraged. Riding for me is more than just a fun diversion. Nothing else seems to make the years disappear as when I am riding a motorcycle (or even when riding my little 150cc scooter). During these winter months and with the loss of this friend added to the loss of several riding friends makes me just feel old and tired.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Vito...

I know it can be tough during these winter months at the best of times. Is moving further south an option?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Yes, GOD bless all who served and are still doing so and let's respect the memory of our Veteran's that have passed to Glory.
Sam

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit that my spirits were at least partially restored yesterday when the sky was blue and bright, and the temps climbed into the mid 50's. I uncovered the bike, pulled the rags out of the pipe openings, disconnected the Battery Tender and went out for a 50 mile, bit over an hour ride. This may turn out to be truly the last ride before Father Winter really settles in, but it was great to be out on my favorite country roads, even if I seemed to be the only bike riding that day. Today I feel a bit less old, and a bit less tired than I did when I started this post.

·
American Legion Rider
26,012 Posts
You could point that bike south and come down here and repair fences and clear the overgrowth away from it. Or bounce around on a tractor for 6 to 8 hours at a time. That would make you appreciate those cold cloudy days vito. :) :) :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
70 degrees here today but I got a load of computer's in to fix so no riding for me!

Yesterday it was 65 here and the Salvation Army had their Annual Thanksgiving Turkey and food distribution and we passed out 150 or so:)

This afternoon, we served our annual community Thanksgiving meal and had a nice turn out:)

I worked both events and really enjoy community involvement and showing Love and support for the more needy:)

We have a lot to be thankful for in this bountiful country:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am sorry to learn of the loss of your friend, and of the loss of a veteran who served during one of our country's toughest times.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I am slowly changing gear, as in riding gear. I think too many folks just do not put on enough stuff. Changing gear thru the changing seasons, is kind of exciting in a way. We are in the mid thirties now, so I am getting close to the real deal for winter clothing. The smaller XS400 is also an easier bike to ride during the chilly months. I can pick it up if I drop it.

UK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts