Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened twice to me now on the bike, at the same intersection, once in the car years ago; someone pulls out from the road on my right.
The intersection in question is where a major two-lane intersects (ends) at the major two-lane road I'm traveling, to my right.

As with similar intersections, I find myself favoring the left side of my lane, even crossing the center if there's no opposing traffic.
The reason is, if I am to avoid a collision with the vehicle pulling out directly in front of me, I need to turn right, so I end up going onto the road that vehicle just came from. It just happened again a couple of days ago.
Being prepared to make a quick (un-planned, un-signaled) right-hand turn is better than broadsiding the guilty party.
It's not possible if you don't provide yourself with the angle to safely complete the turn. Providing that angle is crucial and only possible by being in the left-most portion of your lane.

I just thought I'd throw this out there.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I ride past an intersection like that when the crops are up. I have arrived at that intersection from both directions and when I am on the side road I will stop at the stop sign and edge slowly forward trying to see if there is any traffic coming. I figure I sit higher than a car and have less vehicle sticking out into the intersection than most cars when I can see around the crops. To me, this means I can see better than a cage sitting there so I am very cautious when I'm on the through road.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In a situation like this where someone pulls in front of you and causes an accident with a curb or you go off road and damage your suspension, who is liable?

Are they required by law to stop and provide insurance information even though they did not physically hit you?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Are you dreaming, Urban? People hit and run in parking lots all day long now. AS IF they're gonna stop and take responsibility for causing a motorcyclist to depart the roadway. The days of "doing the right thing" are long gone in America I'm sorry to say.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Morally and ethically, they should stop. But good luck finding someone who would do that. But on a legal standpoint, they are not responsible in most cases if the said vehicles did not make contact. I was with someone who was cut off by another vehicle and swerved to miss and hit the curb. Legally, he was responsible for it because the law says he was the one that was responsible for keeping his own vehicle under control. He would have been better off hitting the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts