Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we did put it on the trailer for it to do that...

2009 EX500r (Ninja 500r)

Time to build another 500r Missed these little bikes. Already have a fork seal kit on the way and a head bearing kit that replaced the ball bearing with needle bearings, rear fender to put it back to stock on the back and plan on calling Airtech to order the upper and lower cowlings on Monday. The header pip is squished from being lowered and drug around on things so replace that and then paint. Yup sounds simple enough.
DSCF2762.JPG
DSCF2763.JPG
DSCF2764.JPG
DSCF2765.JPG
DSCF2766.JPG
DSCF2767.JPG
DSCF2768.JPG
DSCF2769.JPG
DSCF2770.JPG
DSCF2771.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Sweet. Well done. Small bikes have a lot of nice things about them.
Always a good point for discussion is steel balls versus modern bearings. Bronze bushings for roller bearings.
Electronic ignition won out years ago, but it does require a battery. Magnetos did a good job. And finally, what is the best shape for a small, 12 foot, row boat. Many long chats about all the above.
My main race bike of 1974, had steel balls in the steering head. CB750 stock, and a CB750 master cylinder. Bronze bushings in the swing arm, and a magneto to avoid the battery weight.
I think the 500 Ninja makes about hp, and does not weigh too much. UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
Looks good BK

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tore into it today removed the pair system, checked the date code on tires and one really old and one new one. Stripped a bunch of wires that powered random lights, ordered a bunch of parts including a new chain and sprockets and some extra wheels. Also ordered all the replacement bits that were ABS via AirTech that will be fiberglass. It was missing the center stand so that is on the way too. So much involved but woohoo so much fun. Decided going to paint the bike Pearl White more than likely.
DSCF2772.JPG
DSCF2773.JPG
DSCF2774.JPG
DSCF2775.JPG
DSCF2776.JPG
DSCF2777.JPG
DSCF2778.JPG
DSCF2779.JPG
DSCF2780.JPG

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a little bit of painting, debris and a few runs mandating I will be sanding and re-coating it again in 30 days. Used the acrylic enamel Fire House Red w/cool weather reducer and hardener.

Waiting on the AirTech bits to show up they say they are 30 days out on those. I have also installed the Fogbones (Dogbones) and Fogrear Sets, and a stock rear mup fender and LED bulbs in the rear flashers. Pulled the forks apart, and installed the All Balls head bearings. Good times.

DSCF2790.JPG
DSCF2791.JPG
DSCF2792.JPG
DSCF2793.JPG
DSCF2794.JPG
DSCF2795.JPG
DSCF2796.JPG
DSCF2797.JPG
DSCF2798.JPG
DSCF2799.JPG

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few more of some brake cables I intend on using and the fork oil I took out of one of the forks, the other got knocked over all over the garage also the new 17 tooth front sprocket

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

Wow, that's some can you got there.(y)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
Looking good, can't wait to see it all together.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Love seeing a nice, orderly garage! Very soothing to my OCD! :LOL: Also appreciate the bike pics, of course!

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the paint off the wheel lips on the second set of wheels and got the kick stand adjusted all the way as long as it will go and it is just long enough. Also got the spools on the swing arm and the front wheel on the bike.

DSCF2818.JPG DSCF2817.JPG DSCF2816.JPG DSCF2815.JPG DSCF2814.JPG

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the part black on the front wheel I wanted black the new tire should be here Monday mayhaps, and then will mount and let it sit for a month or so before I do any polishing with metal polish.
DSCF2820.JPG
DSCF2819.JPG

·
Banned
64 Posts
Nice work, I like those smaller rice rockets from back in the day, they were good for tooling around town... the GPZs were cool too, those bikes were bulletproof. Friend o' mine had the 550, and it wasn't bad for cruising the boardwalk at the beach, where ya didn't wanna go too fast anyway (due to the scenery, especially during the summer). Save the larger rice rockets for the open road, these smaller bikes were cool for local cruising...

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is my now only bike. I have had liter bikes, super sports, cruisers and this is my preference today. To each their own, and I do cross country. The buttery smooth throttle of the 1100XX will be missed, but having a computer on a motorbike will not be (admittedly the 1100XX gave me no issues, the computers on enough bikes have to make me worry about that) I like low tech.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts