Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Triumph Legend TT 900 and have had lots of problems with it that no one seems to be able to solve. I've tried a Triumph dealership, motorcycle shop, mechanically inclined friends, etc, etc.

So I start the bike on choke and it runs great for about 5 minutes. I take the choke off and the problems start. Its idling at about 1100 RPM and I have to give it gas @ 1500-2000 RPM otherwise it'll stall. The carbs were rebuilt and cleaned last year and the bike was stored with Stabil in the tank and carbs. The carb rebuild seemed to help for awhile but then problems came back. I updated the plugs and wires - no change.

Usually when the bike stalls I'll start it again and we're off to the next stoplight where I'll keep the throttle up a bit (1500-2000 rpm). But sometimes it won't start again for a couple minutes so I'll push it to the side of the road and turn it off and wait a while. If I'm riding a back road without stop signs it'll run no problem. Last year on a longer ride (40 miles ish) the overheat light turned on towards the end.

SOS

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I would first check to see if there's a clogged fuel filter, or if there's debris, rust, or water in the bottom of the fuel tank. That might have clogged up an off idle circuit in your carburetor again.

Another thing to try is to run it with the gas cap cracked. If it then runs fine you will kow it's a clogged tank vent.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
to rich, lower the floats.
check for wet plugs.

petcocks plugged.
check for debris in tank.

butterflys in carbs in wrong carb.
there is a special butterfly that goes in the idle carb.

vac hoses in the wrong places.
compare manual with bike.

dog doo doo in tires.
buy new pressure washer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts