Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (CBF125NA European)
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I'm new here - I actually created an account just to ask you guys this question - so I apologise if this question has already been asked before. Remove if needed.

I own a second-hand Honda CB125R 2018. Small city bike, single cylinder, liquid cooled, ABS. Some background information about the motorcycle:
  • I bought the bike with 1300 km on the counter. It now has 2000 km.
  • Back in early October, four days after I had picked up the bike, I took a wet left corner too fast and slipped, NO engine protection. I was able to repair all damage (bent shifter, broken left foot peg, bent left chain adjuster ...) and straighten the forks and handlebars. Poor gearbox got scratched up a tiny bit, but everything else seemed to be in perfectly good shape.
  • The bike sat in my garage until early January (aka. for two months) because I couldn't afford the spare parts immediately. I also installed crash bars the moment finances allowed me.
  • The bike performed like a champ ever since.
Until three days ago (aka. another two months later). I was in slow traffic for about 10 minutes and tried riding the clutch (holding the clutch in the friction zone and using the rear brake to control my speed) as I was taught in my riding classes. I live in Belgium, had a measly 9 hours of riding classes before being put on the road, and had no riding experience prior. I realise that's not a lot of practise time and the Belgian motorcycle schooling system might need some touchups.

Anyways. While I was nearing the end of the stuck up traffic, I noticed my Check Engine warning light came on. I also noticed that the pitch of the bike suddenly increased a bit, and it felt like it had a bit less power. I have a feeling I won't even be able to hit my 90 km/h legal top speed anymore, but I'm not gonna try it out and risk increasing the potential damage.

I did a bit of research as to why the Check Engine light could be on.
  • I checked my O2 sensor. It seems to be okay. It's not fouled and the wiring doesn't seem to be ziptied too tight to the bike's frame.
  • I checked my air filter. I had driven in heavy rain the day before this all started, but it seems to be dry and in okay shape.
  • I don't think the spark plug is a problem since I have only one cylinder and the bike is capable of driving, just with a small decrease in acceleration power.
  • I may have overheated the clutch plates, since I don't have a good throttle control yet and did raise the RPM's a bit high while I was riding the clutch. It's a wet, cable-driven clutch. I adjusted the clutch cable, but that didn't solve the problem. I also adjusted the throttle cable and the slack in my chain while I was at it, but unsurprisingly, this didn't fix the issue either. The Check Engine light was still on.
  • I tried resetting the electrical system of the bike by temporarily disconnecting all wiring from the negative terminal of the battery, and draining the capacitors. After letting the bike sit without electricity for 10 minutes and connecting everything back up, the Check Engine light was still on.
  • I read it might be bad/old gasoline. I decided to go out for a careful ride and maybe pick up some fresh gasoline to dilute the potential "bad" gas with. During this trip it was raining again, and when I started the bike after I had parked it for about 50 minutes in the rain, not only the Check Engine light came on, but also the ABS light! I drove it home without any new problems though, and even locked up the front wheel on my porch after braking too hard - but ABS helped me out. Therefore, the ABS light must be on because of a problem with the ABS at the rear. I looked at the rear brake caliper and at the ABS sensor disc, but didn't see any obvious signs of failure. I also checked the front just to be sure, but it looked exactly the same.
  • I didn't pick up the fresh gas in case you were wondering.
I'm completely stuck now and don't know what to do next. I'm a student and I can't afford going to a shop right now. Could you guys give me any advice?

Thanks so much in advance and have an amazing day.?

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
You need to get a code reader and see what code the check engine light is tripping.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Like bpe said the fault code will help.
Call the dealer maybe he will run it for free. Here in ‘merica some of the older cars, I have a van you can do it on, is pull the code with a cheap electric meter. The number of beeps when you turn the key on gives it to u.
Sounds like u burned the rear brake pads or drums. That instructor is stupid to tell u to ride clutch against brake for that amount of time.

I’d check fluids. Brake fluid, clutch fluid, if it’s separate from engine oil, and then engine oil. Then pull the rear wheel and look at the brake pads or shoes. If worn real bad u gotta replace them.

if u got the clutch too hot and warped the plates it will not want to disengage,
it will drag.

I don’t know about over there, but to clear the codes here u just disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes. It should reset itself after that.

All that other stuff, after riding in the rain, water might have gotten in a few places it should not be. Wiring connections, stuff like that. Just let it sit in a dry place for a few days see if that fixes those issues.

Good luck guy.

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (CBF125NA European)
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys. I seem to have solved the issue.

I went for that spare gas anyway and it turned out I hadn't closed the fuel tank lid properly. After I fueled up, the warning light disappeared, the sound of the motorcycle returned to normal and it had all of its power back. It must've been in some safety mode where power is limited to prevent further damage.

Glad I didn't pay a shop to read codes for an issue this silly. Thanks again for the help, you guys.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
That is great news, thanks for letting us know.

·
American Legion Rider
25,894 Posts
Hey guys. I seem to have solved the issue.
That’s good news and really glad you let us know. Far too many don’t so it’s like everyone wastes their time trying to help. So thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts