Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Isn't it amazing," how folks who find all kinds of excuses NOT to wear their "gear" during the Summer, are often found wearing it all on those 45 degree mornings!!

After all, isn't the objection to wearing "gear" simply a matter of inconvenience and discomfort?! Those who don't are inviting trouble, and yet they ignore that; all for the sake of their own convenience.

Today's early morning ride, (which I "dressed" appropriately for) was cold, yes, but I was completely comfortable. Insulated Gloves, proper footwear, helmet with liner, scarf, ...........made for a very enjoyable ride!

I know, I know.......in the hot summer, it's a pain! I agree! However, I value my "parts," and will wear what is right, to minimize the damage.

Perhaps we should talk about the "odds" of getting hurt. Maybe THAT'S what some riders think are in their favor. Maybe THAT'S why they don't wear the proper gear? I haven't seen any statistics lately, and I wonder if there is a study of "seasoned riders" and the ratio or percentage of accidents (whether caused by them or someone else) among those who "know what they are doing." We've all heard the stories however; of seasoned riders becoming mangled in one way or another, in spite of their knowledge and seasoned capabilities.

Anyway, I LOVE the Autumn!! It is such a great time for rides, and the full-gear prep is not an encumbrance.

-Soupy

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I'am on a hwy or freeway I'am full gear, a few years ago SF Ca to Missouri in July I swear I was the only one with gear!
Yea it was HOT 105 in the shade but I just can't bring myself to go without.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Yeah I'm guilty of not always having proper gear *shame face*
I'm willing to but I cannot yet afford to buy the gear I need for the hot weather such as a mesh jacket and some overpants.

But I certainly won't go without my helmet and minimum of jeans on my legs.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to "wave" more enthusiastically towards riders wearing their helmets, at LEAST!!

I understand those who don't want to wear helmets, jackets, gloves........I don't think they are making the best choice for themselves, but I understand that idea that they are "free."

To be fair, we all have heard of folks who were all "geared up" and DIED on their bikes, (their fault and not). But just reducing the odds of "death" ought to be enough to entice them to wear the gear.

-Soupy

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've paid close attention to this thread. As a new rider, I bought all my safety gear first (I have way too many jackets already!) The riding season (for me) won't happen much this year unless I get a lot of spare cash real quick, but I don't mind saving my money for the bike I want in the Spring....it ain't going any place except from my buddie's showroom to my house.

I do very much appreciate the mentoring and honesty of this site.

Thank you.

Mike

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....it ain't going any place except from my buddie's showroom to my house.............
I don't remember the exact quote that relates to this, but it is something like, "more accidents happen within a mile of home, than in any other scenario."

That's an interesting observation. It seems to imply that we are less "alert" or perhaps more "careless" when we feel some level of "safety" close to home.

So I guess the lesson is: never let your guard down, and never figure that "just around the block" is any safer than a 400 mile road trip.

-Soupy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me clear that up just a tad.....the bike I want is in a country showroom five miles away from my house. He will sell it only to me cause he's a good friend. So, in the spring, when I get that outrageous amount of cash he wants for it, the next place on the planet when that bike's kickstand will call home......is my home.

Does that make sense? :)

·
8,577 Posts
You bet it does! You will have something to look forward to and to get ready for.

What kind of bike?

Sam:)

·
8,577 Posts
A person will miss ATGATT when they have an accident.

A person will miss ABS when they have an accident.

A person will miss not wearing a seatbelt when they have an accident.

A person will miss sobriety when they have an accident.

And so it goes for all poor decisions---after the fact.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
You bet it does! You will have something to look forward to and to get ready for.

What kind of bike?

Sam:)
Oh Porky, it is a sweet ride.....Honda VTX1300c, upgraded seat, no bags, shiny chrome, one of those air breather thing-a-ma-jigs to get better air intake, nice medium sized windshield, perfect grips, and a clutch so soft it's heavenly, and a sound like I've seldom heard.

When I'm in his shop doing anything related to wood, he sneaks off to fire up that steel buffalo so I can hear its thundering hooves.....

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Sorry.

Porky: The VW CEO said he was sorry.

It is amazing and how sad and contrite some folks can be, after the fact.
$30 billion drop in value of VW shares, with fines and other costs still to come.

This guy will need ATGATT plus body guards, to safe his butt, and that will not be enough.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I understand those who don't want to wear helmets, jackets, gloves........I don't think they are making the best choice for themselves, but I understand that idea that they are "free."
-Nah, I don't think you do. :wink: The freedom you're speaking about, and that many other riders love, is not effected one bit if they choose to wear ATTGAT, or ride in t-shirt and jeans, or anything in between. You're talking about personal comfort and willingness to accept risks. It has nothing to do with freedom.

To be fair, we all have heard of folks who were all "geared up" and DIED on their bikes, (their fault and not). But just reducing the odds of "death" ought to be enough to entice them to wear the gear...
...and quite smoking and eat healthy and exercise and moderate drinking and many other things. And since far, far more people die of heart disease and related complications then motorcycle accidents, if we really are concerned about someone else's health and safety we'd try to get them to make those changes long before we worried about whether they're wearing kevlar pants or not, right?

I advocate all gear for those just learning to ride, and for anyone else that chooses to wear it. But those just starting out riding, and others, also need to understand that ATGATT will not keep you safe and it will do absolutely nothing to keep you from crashing. If you think that by wearing the gear you're further from danger then someone who chooses not to, you're making a mistake.:)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Eye: "Freedom" in the sense that one is unencumbered by weight, sight restriction, excessive overheating, etc. To be geared up, hopefully keeps you further from extended injury (road rash, dented skull, ....stuff like that). Obviously the "gear" isn't comparable to air bags, fenders and roll bars.

One statement you made in particular is worth repeating, when you said, ".........far more people die of heart disease and related complications........." That's so true. My wife "the Nurse" used to tell me that it generally isn't the disease that kills you, but the complications that COME from the disease."

-Soupy

G

·
I would personally feel really unsafe without gear. I can't imagine how traumatizing it would be to get into a car accident and kill someone. You have to live with that the rest of your life. By wearing gear, you could still die of course, but you can lessen that chance. Lessen that chance to leave someone with that guilt. Plus if you do die, at least it is not as gruesome. Not just for you, but to people around who might see that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
I live in a no helmet law state and I'd say half the riders take advantage of that and don't wear them. I have no problem with that, I strongly support the personal choice to gear up or not belongs to every adult. Personally I always wear at least my jacket with armor, gloves, heavy jeans, boots, and full face helmet, though I might leave the visor open if I'm going slowly. I really should get some riding pants too, and soon.

A few time's i went without some gear for some silly reason and I felt uneasy, sure, I know I can in all probability ride 1 mile to the supermarket in sneakers, and a T shirt safely, but it will be that one time that I do that something happens, why push my luck. I had my jacket stolen once when I was 60 miles from home, rode home without it at highway speeds in a t shirt, was quite nervous. No amount of gear will save you from some crashes, if you get run over by a semi going 90 on the interstate I don't think the thickness of your jacket matters all that much but it sure can save a world of pain and suffering in many crashes, and in so many cases proper gear IS what saves your life.

Personally I don't care about the gear saving anyone from seeing my ugly, gruesome corpse, I'd far rather they see my ugly, non mangled living body wearing mangled but effective gear complaining loudly about the idiot that caused the mess. :)

I would personally feel really unsafe without gear. I can't imagine how traumatizing it would be to get into a car accident and kill someone. You have to live with that the rest of your life. By wearing gear, you could still die of course, but you can lessen that chance. Lessen that chance to leave someone with that guilt. Plus if you do die, at least it is not as gruesome. Not just for you, but to people around who might see that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Im guilty ! In the summer I wear Jeans and a T-Shirt, Boots and a helmet, but when the weather turns cooler I tend to wear it all, even chaps

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I don't blame you. It's like they are saying you are purposely going to crash. I don't think anyone is there. So you do everything possible not to. Now if you push limits then maybe you should really consider the helmet. I still feel if it's your time there isn't a helmet around that can stop it. So do what you want.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
If not wearing gear makes you nervous when you ride, you maybe have problems riding then. I wear most of the gear most of the time, but I am okay with that. The weather dictates what I wear, and that is because if I am not comfortable, it is not a pleasant ride. All the gear isn't going to save your life if you aren't using the gear between your ears.

Most of the gear will not save your life if you come in contact with another vehicle at any speed above 25 mph. You are a lot better off losing it at speed, at least with the gear, you can slide down the road, only having to look out for stationary obstacles rather than getting run over by a vehicle, unless of course your bike is chasing you.

Helmets are good if you hit a car in a parking lot, and then hit your head on the pavement, or sliding down the street, and then it's only if it covers your face.

Not many survive, even with all the gear when that farmer pulls out in front of you on the highway because he is going to make an extra 32 cents if he gets to the elevator in the next 8 minutes.

While we have the helmet law, I will continue to wear my FF even if it does get repealed, I am more worried about granny backing out of a parking spot downtown than I am on the highway in traffic.

No matter what, it should be the riders choice, and not one made by a bunch of fools that have never even sit on a bike.

As far as emergency personnel, most of them took the job to see body parts ripped to shreds, so if I do go in an accident, I'm doing what I can to make their day and give them a story to brag about.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Yep, and we do brag days later after our stomachs have settled down again. No one brags while throwing up.:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts