Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am getting older, and each summer represents a smaller and smaller fraction of my entire life, but where did this summer go to so fast? It seems I was just getting comfortable riding almost every day when the weather has already started turning. Yesterday I had to wear a riding jacket! It was in the high 50"s in the AM and I could feel the cold air right through my jeans. I have a 4 day ride coming up on the Labor Day weekend with some friends and I wonder if I need to be prepared for snow or something by then. I'm getting closer and closer to deciding that the grandkids can grow up without seeing me very often and just move south where I can ride more of the year.

But there is one thing really great about having a winter/cold season. When the winter is here, and then the next Spring is approaching, taking those first few rides of a new riding season make me feel like a kid again with a new toy. You never get to feel that way if you can ride year round.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My brother has that problem, he only wears the expensive cheap material brand name jeans, I wear the high quality material cheap Rustler(Wal-Mart) jeans, big difference in material thickness.

I do have some of those name brand jeans, hand-me downs from my sons, and a pair my wife bought for my oldest but he kept forgetting to try them on.......so I did, and kept them.

·
8,572 Posts
It's been cool here in the morning also, as today when I rode the Rocket in to work at 7:30 AM, it was 50 degrees, which required a light jacket and a change to mid-winter gloves. It is still going up to 85 or so for my ride home.

I still wear dress slacks, dress shoes and a full face helmet, with leather gloves and Jacket for my ATGAAT attire.

Last Monday, I thought I'd died and went to Heaven on my 100+ mile ride as it was absolutely perfect riding conditions: 70 degrees, bright blue skies, no wind and very little traffic!

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
We had like a 100 year low record broken last week and it's been cooler in the mornings ever since. Even our Hotter n Hell Hundred has been down graded to just upper 90's instead of the normal 102+ temps those poor bicycle riders usually deal with. Maybe they won't have any deaths this year because of the lower temps. So that's a possible plus.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Hush your mouth!!! lol

There is PLENTY of good riding weather ahead!!

The Autumn months are my FAVORITE!!

"Today" was cool and comfortable. I like those middle of the road type days when you can wear the proper gear and not be uncomfortable.

-Soupy

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
100º here yesterday...

More of the same today.

Of course, my riding "season" started January 1st, and the last one ended December 31st....

My last ride of last "season" and the first ride of this "season" were one and the same ride..

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Nope, summer is the same number of days it always is (may vary by a day...I haven't checked my celestial calendar in a while).

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I know I am getting older, and each summer represents a smaller and smaller fraction of my entire life, but where did this summer go to so fast? It seems I was just getting comfortable riding almost every day when the weather has already started turning. Yesterday I had to wear a riding jacket! It was in the high 50"s in the AM and I could feel the cold air right through my jeans. I have a 4 day ride coming up on the Labor Day weekend with some friends and I wonder if I need to be prepared for snow or something by then. I'm getting closer and closer to deciding that the grandkids can grow up without seeing me very often and just move south where I can ride more of the year.

But there is one thing really great about having a winter/cold season. When the winter is here, and then the next Spring is approaching, taking those first few rides of a new riding season make me feel like a kid again with a new toy. You never get to feel that way if you can ride year round.
Well it DID rain almost nonstop for about 2 months. That's probably a factor.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks like summer ended yesterday, it was warm and sunny. This morning is cloudy and 90 percent rain by evening with a forecast for rain all next week.
I plan to do what I did last year and ride the ride 2 or 3 days a month till next riding season.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You want more summer? Move to the deep south. We got all ya want around here. Something like February to November/December. But I'll warn you now, mid-summer is kinda hot (early May to late October).

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Beautiful here today, and should be all weekend. Altho it may get a bit sticker with humidity

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I live for the cooler, dryer weather of Fall!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my kind of August. High 50's-low 60's in the morning, and no hotter than 80 in the afternoon. It could stay like this all year as for as I am concerned.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It was nice this morning. Still upper 90s by mid day. I'm not missing days on end of 100s.

Word is though, this winter will be brutal.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I have only 3000 miles on the Vic this season....it's been a loooong time since I did so few miles in a summer. Seems I didn't do much riding at all until the past month or so, due to a variety of factors... rainy weather in May, June. Super busy in July and dealing with some back issues kept me from doing as much riding as I wanted.
Filling a lot of my free time fishing, shooting, and camping this summer.

Hope to get at least another 3-5 day tour in yet and another couple long day trips. Riding tomorrow, may not come back till sunday night;)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Even though a FL Native love Riding when Mid 40's-Mid 60's Degrees

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today is rainy and cool, high 50's and low 60's and the streets filled with big puddles. I don't think I'll be doing any riding today. But the 90's are forecast to return early next week, and I do have a 600 mile trip planned for the Labor Day weekend. I also love the Fall, where wearing a good armored jacket does not make me swelter, and I do appreciate the extra safety of good protective gear. But there is still nothing to compare with a mild blue sky and 75 degree day when I can ride with a t-shirt, jeans and an open faced helmet with thin summer gloves and lightweight riding boots. The more gear I have to wear the more the ride starts to feel like being in a car and the less fun it seems to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts