Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is 14 yrs old. No electric starter. Just a kickstarter.

1) No problems kick starting in neutral. But if I happen to stall the bike, to kick start while clutched in, its very difficult to start. Giving a big twist of throttle helps the starting tho, but the initial engine sound sounds very boggy. Sometimes while being clutched in & I kick start, the bike can roll forward.

2)When I kick into 1st gear after starting, It really clunks in & engine revs drops by 200.

3) Sometimes after I kick into 1st gear, while still being cluthed in, the bike can start a very slow roll forwards.

4)Very difficult to get neutral in stationary position. Gear shifter seems jammed in 1st. Can get neutral if I release the clutch to biting point & give a small throttle blip to induce a small forward roll. Sometimes I can get neutral if I give the engine a 2-3k rev 1st.

I have a friend who has a 2t scrambler & he too says his bike can roll forwards when clutched in.

Clutch plates stuck perhaps??

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is dragging a bit. Have you tried adjusting it?

Make and model of bike?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds like the clutch is dragging a bit. Have you tried adjusting it?

Make and model of bike?
Honda NSR150 SP

A mech suspects stuck clutch plates. But he's of the mind of not wanting new owners of all these old 2nd hand small bikes to spend too much money to get the 'perfect' bike cos eventually most of us will upgrade to 400cc bikes after passing our mid tier license, eligible after at least 1 yr riding experience of small bikes, & big bikes after passing the open category license, a further year later. So his advise always is to live with whatever inconveniences & change parts only when really necessary/critical. So, as such he's not too keen to replace the whole clutch.

But my plan is to forego riding a 400cc bike & save $$ to buy a new 600cc bike when the time comes. So I still have about 3 yrs of my small bike to use which at 30hp is more then enough power for my commuting needs.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's natural for a clutch to grab a little, especially when the oil is still cold. It shouldn't be grabbing so much that the engine loses a lot of RPM, or that it's hard to hold in place. Many Hondas have self-adjusting clutches, but I'm not sure about that model.

The motorcycle should always be in neutral when starting in case you lose your footing or lose grip on the clutch. That's the safest way.

·
8,621 Posts
Adjust your clutch cable to make sure it is fully functional with about 1/4 inch free play at the lever. Even when you pull the clutch lever in when adjusted correctly and put the bike in gear, some bikes will creep forward a little, especially when cold. The free space between the 'driven plates' and the 'drive plates,' is about the thickness of a human hair.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's natural for a clutch to grab a little, especially when the oil is still cold. It shouldn't be grabbing so much that the engine loses a lot of RPM, or that it's hard to hold in place. Many Hondas have self-adjusting clutches, but I'm not sure about that model.

The motorcycle should always be in neutral when starting in case you lose your footing or lose grip on the clutch. That's the safest way.
Self adjusting clutches?? Whats that?? As fas as i can see, mine is cable type. Or is there more?

Adjust your clutch cable to make sure it is fully functional with about 1/4 inch free play at the lever. Even when you pull the clutch lever in when adjusted correctly and put the bike in gear, some bikes will creep forward a little, especially when cold. The free space between the 'driven plates' and the 'drive plates,' is about the thickness of a human hair.

Currently the clutch cable at the lever side has been loosened out to the max by the mech after I complained that i keep getting jammed in 2nd gear while riding every now & again, & takes some clutch pumping & kicking the gear shifter up & down a couple of times just to get 3rd.

Well, that cable loosening did solve the jammed in 2nd gear problem. But didnt quite solve the hard to find neutral problem. Sometimes i would get stuck in neutral when trying to kick into 2nd from 1st tho.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The clutch plates,if I remember,float but not too well until the oil warms up....or sit and let it warm up a bit

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
No way your bike should ever creep on you. When you want to sit still the front brake is in use to prevent that motion. I ride a much larger bike with an electric starter but if I even pick the bike up off the stand I grasp that front brake every time even if the bike is not running.
I can understand your dilemma with a clutch that does not fully disengage but controlling the motion of the bike is up to you.

·
8,621 Posts
"Currently the clutch cable at the lever side has been loosened out to the max by the mech after I complained that i keep getting jammed in 2nd gear while riding." QUOTE

My friend, get a new mechanic.

If the cable has been loosened out to the max, it's not engaging enough to "Pull the clutch plates apart." This will cause difficulty in finding neutral, shifting correctly and even clutch slipping that can ruin the plates in short order.

I can adjust your clutch correctly in less time than it took to type this:biggrin:

You just want enough FREE PLAY to know that the clutch is not engaged at all until you pull the clutch lever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi everyone

Im happy to update that all my clutch/gearbox woes are solved. Had my 6 clutch plates replaced.

My dad recommended me to a workshop run by a former local Honda star racer during the 80's & 90's. My chinese/mandarin sucks, but to the best of my understanding (maybe wrong) he said my problem was clutch plates were too low (if it makes any sense) & set out to change the plates.

What impressed me was when he sent me out on a test ride, I felt things were ok. Then he went out for a test ride & really whacked the throttle & blipped at every upshift & downshift. He later came back & said my clutch springs have gone soft & needs to be changed too. He also showed me the difference in spring stiffness betn the old & new springs. On the way home I still didnt feel any real diff. What was he feeling that I wasnt? Im only guessing that him being a former racer, he would be more in tune with all the subtle differences/nuances coming from various combinations of setups & wld be able to sense if something or other isnt performing well enough.

After test riding again, he came back & gave me the thumbs up. Gear shifting is smoother. Neutral is easy to find & revs dont drop when i engage 1st gear. im happy!

But kinda surprised, the set of 4 springs cost more then the 6 plates!

·
8,621 Posts
I'm glad you had a knowledgeable person to fix it for you.

Chances are, if you treat the clutch well, it will outlast the bike.

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
You are lucky that the guy would work on it. Most that I know of refuse to work on anything from China. Once you replace everything with good parts you'll probably have one of the few good Chinese bikes. Keep that guy happy by giving him a bonus or he won't be doing that for you long.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts