If I had a hammer....
I'd hammer in the mornin'...
I'd hammer in the evenin'.....
All over this land....

Oh, that jukebox between my ears!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
When I'm trying to learn how to play a new song on my guitar, it gets bad sometimes. Right now it's Day Tripper. Over and over and over again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
20 years of riding and I've never done it. I prefer to be aware of my surroundings at all times via all my senses. I do however wear earplugs that cut the wind noise but still allow me to hear what is going on around me. It took me a long long time to get on the earplug bandwagon but I found that it drastically reduced fatigue while riding and vastly improved my overall concentration levels. I'd be worried that music would distract me and I wouldn't end up paying as much attention to my own riding and surroundings.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I never listened to music on a motorcycle until I got my first Goldwing back in the 1980's. Then I had a short string of touring bikes that all came from the factory with a radio, cassette players, and intercoms and CB radios. One thing about all that stuff, that was on every one of those bikes, was an off switch.

Out in the country, traveling or just enjoying the scenery, I liked a little music. In town, in heavy traffic, shut it off. Out on the interstate and traffic suddenly slows down, listen to the CB radio. Those truck drivers would tell you what they were seeing and which lane you better get in to, to get through.

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Out in the country, traveling or just enjoying the scenery, I liked a little music. In town, in heavy traffic, shut it off. Out on the interstate and traffic suddenly slows down, listen to the CB radio. Those truck drivers would tell you what they were seeing and which lane you better get in to, to get through.
I have my music(which comes thru my phone) set to automatically reduce the volume to a point that I barely hear it when I slow to 45mph. That's about the average town speed to start with. It seems to work just fine for me. Once I get above 45 back comes my full volume. And if there is congestion for some reason, you are right about truckers saying what lane is best. That's if you can raise one on the CB. There aren't as many using CB's these days and whenI can get one to come back they are usually amaze they are talking to a scooter. That usually starts all kinds of conversation, usually about quality and distance of transmission but always about what kind of bike.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Cages are boring and lend themselves to audio entertainment (I use books), but though it is popular with some of my riding friends, who are wired for all sorts of sounds/communications/entertainment, I've never even thought about listening to anything in nearly 60 years of riding... as someone above quipped, my tinnitus would probably drown out any ear-buds anyway...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Music. More weight more junk, and you need a battery, more weight.
Some Harleys have good sound systems, so the rider can crank it up and drown out the exhaust noise. UK

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
279 Posts
Eh I haven't noticed an issue with music while riding. Unless i'm stoned then i'll just be bobbing along to the music, but uhh nah musics pretty awesome while riding, the only thing is it'd stop you from listening to how your bike is running, but that's bout it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I came across this article in a facebook group, and the guy says that listening to music while riding is a beginner mistake that we should avoid, and causes accidents? Please share your opinions.
My kids always told me that they could do their homework better while listening to music, I always wanted peace and quiet while doing homework. I have always had better reading comprehension and powers of concentration than my kids. What you need is focus when you are on a motorcycle. You need to be able to hear your surroundings. You need to have a clear mind and use it all to enjoy riding and maximize your own and other's safety. That is why newly licensed drivers are not allowed to have their friends ride with them because of the distraction factor. I am still trying to convince my wife to not start a conversation with me when we are approaching an intersection or trying to pull onto a crowded road.

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
I am still trying to convince my wife to not start a conversation with me when we are approaching an intersection or trying to pull onto a crowded road.
You do that by making it very clear that is what NEED and then tell her you will signal when she can talk. Just don’t forget to signal even though you might like the silence. My wife and I had a 2 taps is shut up and 1 tap is okay to talk. That’s before we got bike communications.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Registered
704 Posts
Getting communicators is one of the best investments I have made. My wife and I still use hand signals, but she has become a much better, safer, and valuable partner and co-pilot now that we have the ability to communicate easily and instantly. Nothing wrong with hand signals and gestures, just I think the intercom is an asset. We both respect our need to concentrate and keep the chit chat to a minimum. She covers our six, flanks, and route with an extra set of eyes, familiar with my driving style and often feeds me info and intel before I ask it. She had her endorsement and therefore knows what I need to do and when. No music, no phone, no GPS voice. We have sometimes long periods of silence mixed with meaningful conversation, and leave the meaningless babble for breaks or after the ride.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,455 Posts
I need something all the time. I have tinnitus and the ringing is very distracting. Music, tv something has to be on to keep me from loosing my mind. It is there but don't ask me what is playing because I couldn't tell you unless I concentrate on it. It just covers the noise in my head.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
I listen to music through my packtalk if I feel like it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I need something all the time. I have tinnitus and the ringing is very distracting. Music, tv something has to be on to keep me from loosing my mind. It is there but don't ask me what is playing because I couldn't tell you unless I concentrate on it. It just covers the noise in my head.
I fully understand. I have tinnitus as well. But for me, riding is the only time it doesn't bother me!

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
I fully understand. I have tinnitus as well. But for me, riding is the only time it doesn't bother me!
Really? I still hear the ringing unless I have music playing. The drone of my engine just isn't enough. If anything it will try to put me to sleep. So I have music going for two reasons.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Really? I still hear the ringing unless I have music playing. The drone of my engine just isn't enough. If anything it will try to put me to sleep. So I have music going for two reasons.
I don't analyze it too much, I don't want to screw it up! It's probably more syco than physical. It's not the engine drone. Music soft or loud doesn't remove it. The only other time it goes away is during heavy lethal type training, but I'm out of that environment now, so riding is the only time it goes away. Of course it is there, it's just the only time it doesn't bother me. Soon as I get off the bike it is there, soon as I mount up and get under way it goes away.....it's mental for me.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
My hearing is not that good to start with. If it gets any worse, I hope the first thing I quit hearing is that annoying, never ending whining noise, but I know if I lost all my hearing, that would be the last thing to go. :(

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Yep, it’s always there. You can’t get away from it. 😢

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ugh tinnitus sucks. My husband has it badly and finds the same thing, that music or talking helps to cover the noise in his ears....it sounds terrible. Boo

21 - 40 of 48 Posts