Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
@yomanew
It would be nice and appreciated if you would go to the New Members forum and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. Folks tend to open up more if they feel they know you just a little bit.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
Everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of how right or wrong it is.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Looks like @yomanew might only be a hit and run poster anyway.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I like listening to music when I ride. But I don't listen to music if I'm riding in town or in heavy traffic. Riding out in the country on a 2 lane, or even a 4 lane highway with light traffic, I just don't think that is a problem.

In town, in heavier traffic, music can be an unwanted distraction. But if you're riding between a couple towns almost a hundred miles apart, and you're meeting less than a dozen cars, its no big deal.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would find it distracting but to each his own!

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
But I don't listen to music if I'm riding in town or in heavy traffic.
The volume on my bike is set(phone app actually) to automatically go down to a point I can't hear it when I get below 45mph. Strangely I don't even notice it's gone until I start moving again and get above 45mph and I hear it again.

·
13,461 Posts
Music in my my helmet is lower than the ringing in my ears

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I miss the am/fm radio on my old Goldwing. I could listen to music while I was traveling, or just out riding, and get local weather information. Might be a good for your personal safety to know a little rain or a tornado was headed your way.
;);)

·
Visionary
4,088 Posts
I'm in the minority but I don't listen to music when I ride, or drive a car for that matter, I find it annoying and distracting and I lose the enjoyment of the ride. I don't like music or background noise when I work either, my mind functions best when nothing is trying to distract me from the task at hand.
Many people including my wife would greatly disagree with me about this topic and that's OK, whatever works for an individual is what is best, some people, ( my adult son is a perfect example) are the opposite way and can only do their best work when there is background noise, music or a TV on in the room, etc.

·
13,461 Posts
As I said it removes the ringing in my ears, but don't ask me what just played, because I couldn't tell you :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't listen to music or a phone when riding. For me it's a distraction. I love music, but no matter how loud it may be, I still can hear the ringing in my ears, as I do all other times with one exception. The constant ringing makes it difficult to forget where I was and what I was doing when the ringing started. The one exception is when I'm riding. If I concentrate to purposely hear the ringing while riding I can, but without that effort when I'm riding, I don't hear (it doesn't bother me is more accurate I think) the ringing and is the only time I can get away from a past, that like many others, haunts me day in and out. Another reason why I like riding. This doesn't occur when driving fast boats, cars or airplanes, just when riding motorcycles. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but I'll go with it!

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
As I said it removes the ringing in my ears, but don't ask me what just played, because I couldn't tell you :)
That’s me as well. I couldn’t tell you what played unless it might have been one of my favorites. But even then it would be questionable. The right tune can get me in trouble by twisting the throttle a little more and more. Especially if some nice curves come up with the right tune.

Reactions: SilverFatBoy

·
On The Road Again!
3,513 Posts
The right tune can get me in trouble by twisting the throttle a little more and more. Especially if some nice curves come up with the right tune.
Years ago, the kid next door got his first car and I helped him put a stereo in it.
He cranked up the music sitting there in the driveway!
I said to him, "Just remember, that's music to get a ticket by."
He laughed.
One week later, he came to see me and told me I was right. He got
his first speeding ticket while listening to that good 'ol rock n roll.

·
Left. No, the other left.
221 Posts
I have a jukebox in my head that I get my music from while riding.
Unfortunately, I have no control over what it plays, and some of the songs in there really suck.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Would be nice if the smart folks could tune the ringing, to something nice to listen to. Frequency modulation, just entered my brain. Probably left over from the radio course I took earlier this year. UK

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I've got that stupid jukebox stuck between my ears like El Guapo. It is really annoying when it gets stuck on a song I don't really like. Or it only plays a piece of the same song over and over again.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
I've got that stupid jukebox stuck between my ears like El Guapo. It is really annoying when it gets stuck on a song I don't really like. Or it only plays a piece of the same song over and over again.
Just do what we used to do with old phonographs that got stuck on a track, slap it up side the head.

Reactions: CRracer712
1 - 20 of 49 Posts