Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everybody, as I mentioned in my introduction I plan to get a CBR or Ninja as my first bike. My dad has a Marauder, but the position and feel of a Ninja or CBR appeals to me more, I guess because I am a young male, haha! Anyways, I have found what appears to be a great deal: A 2009 Ninja 650R in flawless condition for $2,650 OBO. It comes with a helmet, a cover, rear stand, an extra new battery and brake pads, and a manual ($75). I assume this is a separate repair manual, if it cost $75. The owner says it was always garage kept, and just had the oil and oil filter changed, and the chain was just tightened and greased. Based on the condition of the bike in the photos and the fact that it was just serviced and comes with a cover, I believe that this bike was taken care of well. The only possible problem is that it has almost 48,000 miles for a 6 or 7 year old bike. This is about 7 or 8 thousand a year. I have $2,600, so I could buy this bike and pay for the taxes, and my parents would just help me out with the gear, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. (If the helmet that comes with it doesn't fit I have a DOT steer bike helmet I use for my dirtbikes.) So I could buy this bike. My questions are, is this bike worth it with 48,000 miles? I believe that 650s are reliable and should live well past this if taken care of, but you all know better than I would. Also, if it's a good deal and I get it, is there any specific maintenance that would need to be done around this mileage? Thanks for the help!

(Note: Based on my past experience, and the fact that I will be taking a motorcycle safety and training course with my dad soon, I feel that the 650r would be a good starting bike for me, and not too much. I don't have the courage to push this bike past my experience. It took me two years to try and start doing wheelies on my XR70 dirtbike in the backyard, lol. I do not want to go through the hassle of getting and selling a 250. I want to buy something I can keep for a long time. Thank you!)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
.............. I want to buy something I can keep for a long time. Thank you!)
Yes, a 650 is a reasonable starting point for a street bike, but more to the point quoted:

Any bike you buy can "last a long time," if you take CARE of it!!

-Soupy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts