Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought my first bike. The bike looked and rode ok but I didn't look at the title until after the purchase.

I noticed it has an S next to the miles and underneath it says S=Salvage and T=Taxi

I'm assuming this is a salvaged bike now.

Is that right? Is this a really bad thing and Can it be registered now?

·
Registered
562 Posts
that is one thing I usually look at after I buy something. it should be ok to register but is it safe?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Different states have different rules on titling and registration. A call to the DMV or a visit to their website can fill you in on the information. Some it's fairly easy, some difficult, others impossible.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Different states have different rules on titling and registration. A call to the DMV or a visit to their website can fill you in on the information. Some it's fairly easy, some difficult, others impossible.
Best Answer .. In FL is difficult but can be done ..

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
that is one thing I usually look at after I buy something. it should be ok to register but is it safe?
The salvage title doesn't mean it's unsafe. You would have to know the circumstances. If the bike was wrecked and repaired properly it will be okay. It depends on how the work was done.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Some insurance companies will not give full coverage on salvage titles, even if it passes a safety inspection. Most financial institutions require full coverage on vehicles they finance.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I believe some states allow new standard titles to be issued after a safety inspection.

Salvage titles are usually issued after the motorcycle was deemed a total loss in a claim. Simply said, it had more damage than it was worth to fix at the time. That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, but I would be very careful to check for safety issues such as frame damage before taking it on the road.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
The reason insurance companies don't like them is because they already paid for it once, they don't like paying for something twice. Even if it is repaired, it still carries a history.

·
8,600 Posts
If you weren't told at the time of purchase then it is FRAUD and actionable in the courts, especially if purchased from a retail dealer. I don't know the law as it applies to a private party sale and the laws may differ in different states.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Only 2 ways I would buy a Salvage Bike in FL anyway .. 1. If was something I wanted forever because a Salvage title in FL cut the value way down and very difficult to get rid of .. 2. If was a Great Parts Bike for a Cheap Price..

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
The salvage title doesn't mean it's unsafe. You would have to know the circumstances. If the bike was wrecked and repaired properly it will be okay. It depends on how the work was done.
If a motorcycle/car is wrecked and properly repaired, doesn't it get a "Rebuilt" title? Or is that just a Michigan thing?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
If a motorcycle/car is wrecked and properly repaired, doesn't it get a "Rebuilt" title? Or is that just a Michigan thing?
It's probably state by state. My FIL had two vehicles with salvage titles. The repairs were done right and he drove 'em for years, trouble free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts