Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone/anyone.

I'm interested in getting an older bike to learn on and maybe learn to work on a little.

(I wanted to post a link to a picture, but the forum won't let me since I'm new.
The bike is a early 70's Yamaha cs3. You can find pics easy with a quick google search.)

It's a 250cc. I hear that's a good size to learn on, but I'm nearly 6' and about 230lbs. I have yet to see this bike in person as it is pretty far away.

So I'm just wondering if this bike would be ridiculously small for me. I don't mind it being a little small, but I just want to avoid looking like an escaped circus bear.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hello, WM. I had an old Yamaha 200cc two stroke and I liked it a lot. It would be fine for you providing you know that case seals are good and bike is in good running condition. An old two stroke is suspect because if seals are bad the mixture will be leaned out which may result in a piston seizure. You being a new rider this might give you the shock of your life if it happened at 70 MPH.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Personally, I would recommend something a little newer and closer. The 250 and 500 Ninjas are highly recommended, and the 250 Rebel is another really good bike. Thats just a small sample of what is out there.

I know nothing about those old Yammies, so I cannot say yes or no there, but there are plenty of good deals around.

·
10,756 Posts
I am not familiar with that particular bike. My neighbor has a 1973 Yamaha 2 stroke 350. Great bike, but VERY fiddly. I have ridden some 2 stokes over the years and they are also difficult to ride. The power comes on all at once and can be quite a problem if you are not ready for it. I would look for a newer more trouble free bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, WM. I had an old Yamaha 200cc two stroke and I liked it a lot. It would be fine for you providing you know that case seals are good and bike is in good running condition. An old two stroke is suspect because if seals are bad the mixture will be leaned out which may result in a piston seizure. You being a new rider this might give you the shock of your life if it happened at 70 MPH.
Thanks for the tip on the case seals. I had the seller check them out for me. He had actually been riding the bike through 2011. The bike right now, just needs a new battery and a spark plug. Which, without knowing much at all about bikes, worries me a little because to my understanding, a plug can be fouled by the engine getting too much oil. This bike does have an oil pump, but wondering if it could still be getting too much oil somehow? Owner says it was cause by the battery dying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I would recommend something a little newer and closer. The 250 and 500 Ninjas are highly recommended, and the 250 Rebel is another really good bike. Thats just a small sample of what is out there.

I know nothing about those old Yammies, so I cannot say yes or no there, but there are plenty of good deals around.
Sounds great in theory, but something newer and nicer like a Rebel is a little more than my budget (meaning wife) will allow, and honestly, I'm kind of becoming a fan these old geeky-looking street scrambler type bikes the more I look at 'em.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not familiar with that particular bike. My neighbor has a 1973 Yamaha 2 stroke 350. Great bike, but VERY fiddly. I have ridden some 2 stokes over the years and they are also difficult to ride. The power comes on all at once and can be quite a problem if you are not ready for it. I would look for a newer more trouble free bike.
The use of the word "fiddly" is a little discouraging being that I mainly plan to use this for commuting to and from work through town. I live in a place where everyone seems to go 10 under the speed limit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am not saying that the following does apply in your case....but I also had trouble with fouled plugs. Only long after bike was sold did I find out that stock coils were junk even when new. Modern aftermarket coils, wires and caps might solve that problem.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
The use of the word "fiddly" is a little discouraging being that I mainly plan to use this for commuting to and from work through town. I live in a place where everyone seems to go 10 under the speed limit.
Well, maybe you might wish to get something more like a Shadow. There are tons of them out there. They are reliable as all can be, they will get you around town nicely, and if you decide to go on a longer trip, they can do that as well. Also, most shadows are really easy to mod to make it fit you better. (I dont know about the CS3)

A 750 or 600 would be the easiest ones to find I suspect. Around here in Maie, I can find examples uder $3k every time I look in Craigslist. And some a good deal under that amount even. (Maine seems to price on the high side also, so you might find better prices in your area)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts