Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at one with 3K miles, mint with the hard shell paneer boxes. He’s asking $6500. All the various sources I could find show the value at a little more than $5K. What do you think?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Kelly Motorcycle Blue Book puts it at $6825 retail, $4780 trade-in. $6500 seems a reasonable asking price for a face-to-face private sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kelly Motorcycle Blue Book puts it at $6825 retail, $4780 trade-in. $6500 seems a reasonable asking price for a face-to-face private sale.
Thanks O...someone cautioned me about a bike that has such few miles within it's 6 year life. They said various seals may be compromised if the bike sat for long periods without use. What do you think of that?

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
What do you think of that?

Depends on how it was cared for. Sat outside I would be leery, but kept in a fairly nice garage it would be ok. Nobody can ever know for sure. I got my bike for 3500 vs 12,000 new. I can fix a whole lot of stuff before I'm even half way to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks...Yeah...it was garaged in perfect conditions. I'm tending to take the chance on it.

Depends on how it was cared for. Sat outside I would be leery, but kept in a fairly nice garage it would be ok. Nobody can ever know for sure. I got my bike for 3500 vs 12,000 new. I can fix a whole lot of stuff before I'm even half way to that.

·
Registered
607 Posts

I'll agree with this. Rain and cold on a bike kept outside will take a toll, and many folks don't consider how bad sun exposure can be, as well. But if kept garaged and ridden on a fairly frequent basis -- even just an average of 10 miles a week like this one -- it should be fine, other than needing an oil and filter/fluid change, which I would do on any used bike I bought unless the seller could document they had just been done. I know several folks who have owed a bike for decades, but ride it regularly, keep it garaged, and do regular maintenance. Those bikes MIGHT need new brake lines or tires before long if I bought them and started putting miles on them, but I'd ride 'em home without worry if I bought one of them.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
If you do fix a few things then you'll just get to know the bike better. With a stored bike, before trying to crank it, smell the fuel. If it's rotten, which it should be, drain it and put clean fuel in. You don't want to push rotten fuel thru it trying to start it. Look at the date on the tires. They may look good but 6 or 7 years old tires are due to be replaced. The battery will be past it's life span too. While your doing that, plan on adding a battery tender. They are about $15 on Amazon and well worth it. Keeps the battery ready to go and topped off.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
oil and filter/fluid change

This too. And brake fluid in the front, rear, and clutch if it has it. You can watch a youtube vidga on how to bleed them. It's easy. Brake fluid absorbs moisture so changing it would be a good idea. You can use a turkey baster to suck it out, then loosen the lines and drain it out then use the video to see how to bleed the air out.

here's one from a quick search

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'll take very mild exception to the question of tire age. The dates on tires are not expiration dates; rather, the manufacturers intend them as a means to establish a "sell by" date. They are well aware that a tire may sit in a warehouse for a number of years before being sold and mounted on a vehicle, and they know that the consumer can get many years' service from them after that. Tire life is far more affected by underinflation and other factors long before age alone comes in to play. If, for instance, you come upon a killer deal on a set of 5-year-old tires, always warehoused and never mounted (new old stock), age alone is no reason to turn down the opportunity.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
The dates are a manufacture date. A tire is good for about 5 or so years. yes, conditions it was in will affect that. However, on a car you have 4. Blow one and it stinks but you limp off somewhere and put on the extra that you are carrying. Blow one on a bike and you will have mess on our hands, especially at higher speeds. And you wont have an extra to put on.

it's always up to the person to do as they choose. Myself, I don't like sitting on the side of the road. Anything I can do to avoid that I'll take it.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts