Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried using the search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. So I have a question for you:

I am looking at purchasing a bike from a local private seller, it is a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500R and it has 50 original miles on it. Although the really low mileage is being pitched as a positive thing I realize the bike is 7-8 years old and is still in the break in period. It has only had one owner which I personally think is a plus. What should I be concerned about when looking at older bikes with really low miles.

It does run and it is priced very reasonably. Thank you for your help!

-Jared

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The biggest issue is that it runs well. The problem with some low mileage motorcycles is that they have sat without the proper storage procedures, gumming up the fuel system.

The age of the tires is also a concern. The rubber will begin to break down after 5-6 years even if not used too often. For safety's sake, I would recommend replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dods, I think I might be able to use the tire replacement as leverage on the price as well. I would still need to do a 600 mile break in service I am assuming.

-Jared

·
10,763 Posts
Check the gas tank. It still could have its original tank of fuel in it. That gas would have definitely turned, and the tank and carbs may need attention.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Who buys a brand new bike and puts only 50 miles on it in 7 years?
could be a couple of reasons....bought it as new/old stock....the bike scared the crap outta him, bought it without getting the OK from the wife, bought it and didn't like riding....there are a lot of reasons why.....is this what happened? no idea, but if the bike is in good shape, maintained well and only needing very minor fixing....it would be a great buy....but if it's just an old bike that sat and needs a lot of work...not worth it (to me at least)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who buys a brand new bike and puts only 50 miles on it in 7 years?
It is an older guy who said he has had multiple knee surgeries so he wasn't able to ride it much. Said he would start it a few times a month and let it idle until he put it in long term storage. Said that the fuel and oil are new but the tires are original so I am thinking that is probably the first priority of things to replace.

-Jared

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you buy it, immediately change/flush all the fluids out, gasoline, brake, clutch, the engine oil. Refill gas tank and add some Seafoam cleaner to the tank. Lubricate the chain. Lubricate everything that moves, including both ends of the throttle and clutch cables. Replace the tires and see how it runs. Even so, it may take a couple of rides to run smoothly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you buy it, immediately change/flush all the fluids out, gasoline, brake, clutch, the engine oil. Refill gas tank and add some Seafoam cleaner to the tank. Lubricate the chain. Lubricate everything that moves, including both ends of the throttle and clutch cables. Replace the tires and see how it runs. Even so, it may take a couple of rides to run smoothly.
This except the "Clutch Fluid." I think hes making a blinker fluid joke here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the input guys. The clutch fluid reminds me of telling a new guy to get the keys to the humvee or the keys to start the jet lol

They used to tell crew cheifs on heavys to get air samples from various altitudes....those were the days.

I will make sure I use yellow blinker fluid I don't want to get clear and make people think I have reverse lights on ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts