Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if once exists, but there's a few times I walk away from the bike after I park, turn the bike off, take off the gloves and helmet, and forget to pull the keys out of the ignition and take them with me. I always remember last second, but worry there's a chance I won't remember. I was wondering if there was any type of device that could beep if I walk too far away from it to alert me and remind me that I'm leaving my keys behind. I saw a Samsung Galaxy Smarttag today I looked into, thinking that might do it, only to find out it's just a locator if I loose the keys (which incedentally, gave me an alternate idea, if I buy something like that, and hide it somewhere in my fairings, would it work if someone steals the bike?). I also don't know how something like this could work if I'm at home, hang my keys up, and walk away without it beeping or something. I imagine it's an app you could turn on and off, but I'm not likely to always remember to turn it on. In any case, anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I do the same thing sometimes, when I'm riding my wife's Sportster. I've only totally forgot one time when I went to the local grocery store, but no one bothered it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It was in a small town and maybe the local thief was sleeping in that morning.

I have tried to make it a habit to pull the key out when I shut the engine off, and put the key in my pocket, don't always do it but that's the habit I'm trying to get in to. At some point you have to turn the key off or the headlight will stay on. (On my bikes anyhow.) Just get in the habit of pulling it out when you turn it off. I know, easier said than done, but I also say this because I don't know of any apps that will work for you.

Doesn't mean they don't exist, heck, they may be common, I just don't know of any.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,113 Posts
No help here, but back in the 80's I rode a 550 Honda. Bikes were allowed to park at the head of the pier at Naval Station Charleston. Left for a weeks operation and when we got back I couldn't find my keys. One of my shipmates offered me a ride home. On the way to the parking lot I pass my bike and there proud as can be stood my keys in the ignition. Don't know how many people walked by the bike that week but there were 3 other ships at that pier.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,630 Posts
There was once a time you could leave your house unlocked too John. Gone are those good days where morals were the in thing.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,113 Posts
Larry,
My Son-in-law leaves his house unlocked. But they live on an island and I think he locks it when he goes to bed at night but I can't swear to that.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
891 Posts
I leave my house unlocked and I wouldn't worry about it. I did install smart locks and I have them scheduled to lock every day an hour after I usually go to bed. I just aded a smart garage door opener and I scheduled to close every day and I can open it from my phone while out on a ride or simply schedule it to open if I know I'm getting back at a certain time.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You turn the key off, you remove the key. How hard is that?

Thinking of a certain lawyer I knew that bragged that no one would ever break into his unlocked home as they were afraid of him to not do it. Until they broke in and took him for close to a half million in gold knick knacks and the like. Freakin' lawyers. PFFST.

I got no mercy for those that don't think to their own best interests. Sorry guys. If you worry more about taking the gloves off first something is wrong there.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,245 Posts
This is how I keep track of my bike keys.
Sleeve Passive circuit component Creative arts Circuit component Resistor

I also have a spare set of ignition and luggage keys in my waist pack so I can stop at the the mailbox and leave the bike running, or in case I do something stupid. :giggle:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not sure if once exists, but there's a few times I walk away from the bike after I park, turn the bike off, take off the gloves and helmet, and forget to pull the keys out of the ignition and take them with me. I always remember last second, but worry there's a chance I won't remember. I was wondering if there was any type of device that could beep if I walk too far away from it to alert me and remind me that I'm leaving my keys behind. I saw a Samsung Galaxy Smarttag today I looked into, thinking that might do it, only to find out it's just a locator if I loose the keys (which incedentally, gave me an alternate idea, if I buy something like that, and hide it somewhere in my fairings, would it work if someone steals the bike?). I also don't know how something like this could work if I'm at home, hang my keys up, and walk away without it beeping or something. I imagine it's an app you could turn on and off, but I'm not likely to always remember to turn it on. In any case, anyone have any advice?
When I lost my chipped key to the Tuono for two and a half weeks (left it in a jacket that I seldom wear) I went looking for a keychain locator. I came across AirTags.
if you have a IPhone. You can set separation alerts with AirTag keychain. In the find my phone app.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts