Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a small pull behind motorcycle trailer. I bought it for the torsion bar suspension and the aluminum (or aluminum colored) frame. It has a fiberglass clam shell box on it that needs to be replaced as it's best days have already disappeared in the mirrors. The fiberglass box measures, roughly, 3 feet wide by 3 feet 10 inches long and maybe 15 inches top to bottom.
I could buy a car top carrier and slap it on and use it as it is, or I could build my own cargo box. I would be using the trailer to haul my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, all the stuff I usually take on a tent vacation. So it needs to be weather proof. There's already a place on the tongue for a cooler.
Looking online for something I could build, out of wood, doesn't get me a lot of ideas. A square box or a coffin shaped box. Other ideas are in fiberglass and I can't do fiberglass. I'm not a master wood carver or anything like that, but I can frame up something and cover with plywood.
I have also thought about going to Home Depot, Lowe's or Tractor Supply and seeing what kind of tool boxes or storage boxes I could use. Something that could be secured with a lock. Maybe 2 tool boxes back to back to make up the 3 foot width.
I'm not dead set against another car top carrier but I would like to have something a little bit different. The dimensions above are not set in stone or anything, but they're close. A few inches in either direction can be dealt with. I've looked on the internet but nothing I've seen really gets the juices flowing.
I thought it might be a good idea, before I do anything, to see what ideas may be here. Don't need a whole design, but that would be okay, but would like to see ideas on what you think would be useful to have if you pulled a trailer. I've tried to figure out how I could use a board that would fold out or slide out that I could use as a table while I sat in my bag chair.
I'm not stuck on the idea that it must open from the top, sides or back either. Or maybe individual compartments for each item? With it's own door? Just trying to get some ideas.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I can't help but do have a couple questions that might help for clarity.

Are you saying the clam part or lid needs to be replaced or the whole thing has seen better days and what you really have is a trailer frame you want to put some kind of box on?

Now a comment and suggestion. If you go with wood it become heavy rather quickly. Have you looked to a auto crash repair shop to possibly make another clamshell box? Any shop that can repair a Corvette should be able to help. They could use what you have as a mold.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I really have is just the frame and I need to make some kind of box to put on it.

I had not thought about taking the box on it now to an auto repair shop. There is one not to far away from here and it doesn't hurt to ask. The previous owner had also drilled some holes in the bottom to let water out, I suppose, but they shouldn't be too hard to plug.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
If they can do it, it will probably scare you on how much they would charge. Maybe you can say it was damaged by a hit and run driver so insurance takes care of it. Who said that? Not me.:grin:

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't want to get caught doing something like that. Besides, I'm a terrible liar. But you've got me thinking. The top seems like it is too small for the bottom. It just don't line up. I'm thinking if I took the top off, cut about an inch off the bottom all the way around, it might fit again. I may try something like that before I scrap the whole thing.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I'd give the repair guy a shot. He might be able to do it just like you need and give you something to be proud of to boot. It sounds like you got a lot to build on in any case.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured out how to fix the box that's on my trailer frame. I went out to the shop and got a tape measure. When I closed the lid on the box, on the latch side the lid hung over nearly an inch and a quarter. I cut a couple two by fours a little over thirty-five and a half inches long and stuck them in near the hinge and across to the latch side. The box almost shut!
The bottom piece of this clam shell box is warped. Now I'm thinking if I took the top off, laid it on a sheet of half inch plywood, traced it on to the plywood and cut it out, I could put the cut out piece inside the bottom piece and get the warp out. Of course I'd have to allow for the thickness of the box itself. Then mount the top half back on the hinges and see if it closed. Might need a little shimming or shaving here or there but it should work.
After getting everything working properly, glue or screw the plywood in place. Then cut out the middle, leaving a three or four inch perimeter, so I could load my stuff into it and keeping it from warping again. If there's a big flaw in this plan that I'm not seeing, don't hesitate to tell me what it is.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday was real nice, so after getting the yard all mowed I went for a ride. This morning, rain. Now no more rain, but still have some nasty looking clouds out there.
So I've been thinking about that trailer again. I just realized I have figured out how to repair the box that is on it, but it's an ugly box and I don't want it. I just might mount some pickup bed tool box on it and be done with it, except for a bit more lighting on the back of it. When I hit the brakes, I want the back end to light up like its on fire.
Now the sunshine is peeking through and the urge to ride is getting strong. I know the drive to the pavement will be less that ideal but maybe I can walk it between the mud holes and keep it fairly clean. :) Just going to give it a little more time.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I wonder if you adapt something from a completely different area. Like one of these clamshell lids. Then you just have one side to seal. But I still think a body shop is you best bet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts