Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my first bike. I fell in love with drive shafts and water cooled. This bike handled like it was custom built for me. Light, easy to handle, low maint. There couldn't have been a better starter street bike than that(started dirt on a Honda 90cc).

I will always fondly remember it.

I took trips across the country and even once picked up a friend and brought him back to crash a wedding. I remember coming back on the Kansas city turnpike when it was first built and it was smooth as glass, no traffic at 2am, and no entrance exit for miles an miles. Passing by a car on the side of the road that had his hazard lights on. Didn't even occur to me that it was the local tax collector. Luckily he didn't have a radar and by the time he caught up to me and got my speed I was down to 85 ;). And no, I don't know how fast I was going when I passed him as the speedo maxed out at 110.
I also(in my youth) would get on the highway and in the middle of the night when traveling, would click on the cruise control and slip back onto the back seat and steer by leaning the bike. Yeah, I know, It's a miracle I'm alive. I tell you that, not to put crazy ideas into your heads(never ever do what I did) but to give you an idea of how well this bike was designed.

So while I'm in the planning stages for another project, I thought I'd ask for what the modern equivalent of my first love is? At the time the 500 was perfect for me at 6'2" and 167 pounds soaking wet. I'm up to 300# or so now so I'm sure I could use something a bit bigger. But that's my only exception to what I had back then.

so:
drive shaft
water cooled
>=500cc
real front fairing
hard saddlebags
hard trunk

Still thinking about an early 80's 1000, 1100 wing, but is there a modern equivalent? Does it exist? Or do I just need to loose 130# again and buy an old Cx500?

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How about a Honda ST1000? I don't remember if it's shaft drive or not, but it's watercooled, faired, and could probably be found with a trunk and saddlebags if you found one used. It's even got a crosswise engine to appeal to your sense of nostalgia - although it's a V-4....

dv

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. I've looked into it and they're making 1300's now(which are dirve shaft btw), but there's a few 1100's on craigs. Not bad looking at all, but I'd miss my highway pegs. Wouldn't be bad for the 40 miles back and forth to work and the occasional weekend trip though. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Have a feeling I'm just going to have to find me an old CX ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts