Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there a market for a 500 lb touring bike?

6K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  FlipFlop 
#1 ·
My daughter enjoys riding. She's got a Harley Street 750, and likes it quite well. But, she has mentioned that she would really like the protection and storage of a touring bike. She really liked riding my electra glide, but didn't love the 800+ pounds part.

So, she has added hard saddle bags and a softer seat to her 750. She's eyeing a batwing fairing like the one Memphis Shades makes. She has specifically stated that what she wants is a 500 pound electra glide. One where her feet will reach the ground (I think she's about 5' 6").

So, she's slowly building her dream bike. I just wonder, if there might be a market for such a bike? Remember the Honda Silver Wing? I recall that it existed, I don't recall just what it was... What do you guys think?

cheers! mike

#4 ·
My NINJA 650 stock is 419libs. I added 121 liters of storage, a BrakeAway throttle lock (I spend most of my time in the twisties so I only really need it for road trips), Garmin GPS w/.mp3, Scott chain oiler, different windshields for hot and cold, and Denali lights. It's awesome little sport tourer now! (y) (y) (y)

#5 ·
I always thought there had to be a huge market for a midsize touring bike myself. And in 1982 Honda put it to the test with the Honda Silverwing. A scaled down version of the Goldwing. Apparently there really isn't as huge a market as I thought as Honda soon dropped the idea and turned the Silverwing into a scooter instead. Even Harley put their toe into this supposed huge market in 1986 with the Sport Glide weighing in at 600 pounds. There just didn't seem to be the market apparently as they soon dropped it too. I'm still kicking my butt for not getting one when I had a chance when I got an Electra Glide instead. Not a thing wrong making any bike you want into a touring bike. It truly is YOUR touring bike then.

But here's the Silverwing in 1982...

And here's the Silverwing today...

The 1986 Harley Sport Glide FXRD...

So make your own or look at the Triumph as suggested.

Reactions: CRracer712
#15 ·
ADV bikes might be out if she is 5'6" Remember, it's not just the weight, but where it's located.

My 5'9" GF rides a '79 CB 750, which she loves. But when she sits on ("her next bike") a Triumph Bonneville T120, she is amazed how light it feels; even though the Bonnie is only about 20# lighter.

#20 ·
I tell u guys, I love my CB 750s.
But they are kinda heavy. Top heavy to boot.

Next ride for me, a 650 twin. One of those Triumphs, and yeah maybe even one of those Royal Enfields.
Good power, enough to go anywhere, narrow, relatively light weight, and they look like a motorcycle.

#23 ·
I have had my Triumph for a couple of years. I don’t consider it a touring bike, I tour with it. I used to just bungee cord my **** on it. Now I have a box, and still bungee some of my **** on it. 198kg plus gas. plus my ****. Under 500 lbs. Add me under 700 lbs.

#24 ·
Something like 500 pound touring bike would be a good commuter for me. I have a 120 mile round trip interstate ride to work, and have to carry a laptop bag, lunch, etc. I ride my 900 pound touring bike for the storage, weather protection, and comfort, but it's overkill for that ride, and doesn't get the best mileage. I've tried riding my cruiser but with no windshield or saddle bags it's more of a chore than a joy riding to work wearing a backpack while fighting the wind so I tend to go back to the big bike.

#25 ·
Back from the 1980's BMW K100RS is 536 pounds wet and it will out highway comfort and out perform any H-D. BMW offered virtually the same bike in a 750cc by leaving off one cylinder making the 3 cylinder K75 weigh in at 518 pounds wet. On the down side for some, BMW has never bothered to make their motorcycles low in the saddle for height challenged riders. On the up side, used ones in decent condition can still be found at a reasonable cost and the bikes are still very reliable and serviceable.

#26 ·
I "toured" on an old Honda 750 Shadow Ace. Very reliable but don't go with the carburetor. In the mountains I lost power and speed. I don't know what they weigh but the seat, best I can remember, seemed fairly low. Add a tail bag, saddlebags and a windshield and go.
Don't know if they still make them so they may be older than what you want to look at. Oh, shaft drive on some of them too.

#27 ·
had a 08 BMW RT oilhead and got a 15liquid cooled RT now man what a bike. problem with that one for the young lady is it may be too tall. but 600lbs Great wind portection and just a surperb motorcycle for road trippin. its about as good of a bike that you would want when your on a road you atint rode before. the yamaha and suziki both make fine sport tourers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.