Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
511 Posts
Kinda thinking the same way Krusty.

But then, look at the price difference. The Triumph is I think a 6k bike, vs 4K for the Royal Enfield.
Neither are made in the UK anymore.

Am I riding for myself, or for the perception of others?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had my Triumph for a couple of years. I don’t consider it a touring bike, I tour with it. I used to just bungee cord my **** on it. Now I have a box, and still bungee some of my **** on it. 198kg plus gas. plus my ****. Under 500 lbs. Add me under 700 lbs.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Something like 500 pound touring bike would be a good commuter for me. I have a 120 mile round trip interstate ride to work, and have to carry a laptop bag, lunch, etc. I ride my 900 pound touring bike for the storage, weather protection, and comfort, but it's overkill for that ride, and doesn't get the best mileage. I've tried riding my cruiser but with no windshield or saddle bags it's more of a chore than a joy riding to work wearing a backpack while fighting the wind so I tend to go back to the big bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back from the 1980's BMW K100RS is 536 pounds wet and it will out highway comfort and out perform any H-D. BMW offered virtually the same bike in a 750cc by leaving off one cylinder making the 3 cylinder K75 weigh in at 518 pounds wet. On the down side for some, BMW has never bothered to make their motorcycles low in the saddle for height challenged riders. On the up side, used ones in decent condition can still be found at a reasonable cost and the bikes are still very reliable and serviceable.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I "toured" on an old Honda 750 Shadow Ace. Very reliable but don't go with the carburetor. In the mountains I lost power and speed. I don't know what they weigh but the seat, best I can remember, seemed fairly low. Add a tail bag, saddlebags and a windshield and go.
Don't know if they still make them so they may be older than what you want to look at. Oh, shaft drive on some of them too.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts