Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter enjoys riding. She's got a Harley Street 750, and likes it quite well. But, she has mentioned that she would really like the protection and storage of a touring bike. She really liked riding my electra glide, but didn't love the 800+ pounds part.

So, she has added hard saddle bags and a softer seat to her 750. She's eyeing a batwing fairing like the one Memphis Shades makes. She has specifically stated that what she wants is a 500 pound electra glide. One where her feet will reach the ground (I think she's about 5' 6").

So, she's slowly building her dream bike. I just wonder, if there might be a market for such a bike? Remember the Honda Silver Wing? I recall that it existed, I don't recall just what it was... What do you guys think?

cheers! mike

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
535 Posts
My NINJA 650 stock is 419libs. I added 121 liters of storage, a BrakeAway throttle lock (I spend most of my time in the twisties so I only really need it for road trips), Garmin GPS w/.mp3, Scott chain oiler, different windshields for hot and cold, and Denali lights. It's awesome little sport tourer now! (y) (y) (y)

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I always thought there had to be a huge market for a midsize touring bike myself. And in 1982 Honda put it to the test with the Honda Silverwing. A scaled down version of the Goldwing. Apparently there really isn't as huge a market as I thought as Honda soon dropped the idea and turned the Silverwing into a scooter instead. Even Harley put their toe into this supposed huge market in 1986 with the Sport Glide weighing in at 600 pounds. There just didn't seem to be the market apparently as they soon dropped it too. I'm still kicking my butt for not getting one when I had a chance when I got an Electra Glide instead. Not a thing wrong making any bike you want into a touring bike. It truly is YOUR touring bike then.

But here's the Silverwing in 1982...

And here's the Silverwing today...

The 1986 Harley Sport Glide FXRD...

So make your own or look at the Triumph as suggested.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
There's plenty of options for lightweight factory touring bikes. But you'd have to step away from the American cruiser style bikes. Look at sport touring bikes.

·
Registered
746 Posts
At 5'6" and 150 I prefer the 2020/2021 Ninja 1000SX. There are many others similar. The Triumph Trophy is another one.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
The Kawasaki 650 noted above is a good choice. So is the Suzuki 650 V twin. They have all the gear for a top box and saddle bags, and many options. I would ride one instead of my XS400, but the insurance cost is too high. UK

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Don't forget the ADV style bikes. People literally tour around the world on them. And they're light. Especially the mid-sized models. Of course they're quite tall, so maybe not ideal for the short in stature.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Don't forget the ADV style bikes. People literally tour around the world on them. And they're light. Especially the mid-sized models. Of course they're quite tall, so maybe not ideal for the short in stature.
Ha!!! I didn't even think of that and I have one!!! My V Strom would be a great choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take her to your local Honda dealer and have her sit on a GoldWing, then tip it off the kickstand. The GoldWings are very low center of gravity..I've got 3.75 if them.. (One is my donor parts bike for my 81 Aspencade and my 78.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
I think you like wings, you should get along with George (Off Center)

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Only get the bike that the lady feels comfortable on. I doubt it will be a Gold Wing.
Most recently I have seen ladies on: Honda Shadow, Indian Scout, Kawasaki 650 twin, Suzuki 650 V twin.
My YGF at left, seems quite comfortable on the swing, and likes the side car. UK

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
ADV bikes might be out if she is 5'6" Remember, it's not just the weight, but where it's located.

My 5'9" GF rides a '79 CB 750, which she loves. But when she sits on ("her next bike") a Triumph Bonneville T120, she is amazed how light it feels; even though the Bonnie is only about 20# lighter.

·
Registered
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
11 Posts
Mr C50T is a little over 600 pounds so it doesn't exactly fit her criteria but if the reason is to give a comfortable cruiser with easy handling at any speed I'd have her test one of them prior to hard and fast weight criteria.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
526 Posts
One thinks a 650 twin would be good for all but the Texas Headwinds.
I remember Honda had, I think it was called a Silverwing.
My neighbor had one, from the factory it was decked out for touring.
Guy and his wife went everywhere.

Yeah, 650 should be good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hell yea, I don’t know what to pick,
Buddy rides a fully faired BMW touring bike, it’s nice, not sure what it weighs.
I can’t see myself buying a 800 or 1000 lb bike.
My preference is to get off the freeway and use the scenic route,

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
Buddy rides a fully faired BMW touring bike, it’s nice, not sure what it weighs.
My 2003 R1150RT weighs about 640 with a full tank of gas. With each new generation of RT since then, BMW has trimmed some weight.

Still more than 500 lbs, but much lighter than a Goldwing or a Harley.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
526 Posts
I tell u guys, I love my CB 750s.
But they are kinda heavy. Top heavy to boot.

Next ride for me, a 650 twin. One of those Triumphs, and yeah maybe even one of those Royal Enfields.
Good power, enough to go anywhere, narrow, relatively light weight, and they look like a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts