Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got my 1973 Suzuki TS185 2-stroke enduro bike running good and most things are going well except for one little thing i find strange. when i am riding on smooth country roads on my bike in either 4th or 5th gear, if i exceed the throttle past a certain point (not even close to being pinned) the bike will start to try to die because i can hear and feel the bogginess. if i let a little of the throttle go it will continue to normal healthy running. Further info is that the bike is a carburated 183cc 2-stroke, 5-speed manual bike in excellent condition. the bike has good compression, good shifting, and a strong clutch. recently installed carb rebuild kit and thats what the bike needed to idle. brand new petcock installed 6 miles ago. fuel tank has no internal rust. a couple negatives to note- the bike has no battery and no speedometer, headlight, or taillight. the keyswitch has no function anymore (you can kick and start the bike in any position, killing the bike has to be done by letting the clutch out too fast in 1st gear or pulling the choke. also carb leaks gas slightly because i had to use the old gasket. oil pump works well and the bike is in overall excellent condition but missing minor things. the tach is still there and the bike seems to be very fuel efficient. anyways i was wondering if this bike could have been manufactured with a governor of some sort limiting the throttle? i also would like to know the proper screw positions for ideal idle/fuel-air mixture. The bike is still fun and i can still get it going about 65mph but this boggles my mind. thanks for any bit of info. ride with a helmet everyone

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I doubt you have a governor, sounds more like a carb issue to me

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
It would be tough to put a limiter on a carbureted bike; you likely have a restriction in the fuel delivery system. That, or the primary jets are too small.

Proper position of the pilot screws is best determined by ear, after the bike is fully warmed up. You listen for the highest, smoothest exhaust note when tweaking them, noting the range of positions this is achieved. I usually center the screws in this range, then turn them out a tiny bit for better idle in cool weather.

·
Banned
891 Posts
I do have a rev-limiter on my 2004 Dyna, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

However I also think it's a fuel flow problem.

·
Banned
891 Posts
That's fuel-injected though, correct?
Correct. I had my engine built and dyno-tuned to give maximum BHP and torque at 5,500 RPM. I believe that Harley's rev limit is 6,200, and I never need to go that tall.

However, I think the OP's carb is dumping gas improperly into the mix. After all, I can control my throttle while he sounds like he can't.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
It's fairly easy to include rev limits on FI bikes, because you need a controller to squirt the fuel; stop squirting fuel, bike slows down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts