Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just bought a 1982 GS1100L (the GS1100L is what's on the side of the bike). However, when I search the net for parts, all I can find is a GS1100GL, no GS1100L. Are these the same bike? If I order parts for the GL will it fit my L?

Thanks!

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
I bought one of the very first Suzuki 1100 L models made. I picked it up in March of 1979 and it did not have a GS or anything as to a prefix on the bike. It just said 1100L on the side panel. And of course Suzuki on both sides of the fuel tank.

I had the bike for about a month, less than 300 miles when the engine locked up tight. I took it back to the dealer and they had to wait for a special tool to be manufactured, as it hadn't been at that time, just so they could take it apart. I don't recall what the problem was but basically I got a new engine out of the deal.

I too have tried to find that bike listed on the internet but like you, I have not had any luck. I do know the 1100 engine was not the same as the 1000 engine. The cam plates on the side of the engine were rectangular on the 1100 and round on the 1000. The 1100 was a totally different engine, or so I was told. Hope you have some luck in your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here is what I figured out....even though the it's GS1100L on the side, the stamp near the VIN actually says GS1100GL.

I also found out that the G=shaft driven and the L=cruiser.

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
Again, after more searching, I cannot find a 1979 Suzuki 1100L model. I wish I had kept the pictures I had of the bike. Side panels on the bike did NOT say GS only 1100L and the "L" was written in script fashion. It was NOT shaft drive. Yes, the L model was the cruiser, or Low rider model. Could be because I had one of the very first sold, that there was no GS on the side cover.

I remember the guy who bought it knew all about the bike and he wanted documentation as the actual year of the bike. All the paper work I had was enough documentation to satisfy him. He did not want a 1980 year bike. He may have known more about the bike than I did. That was a long time ago and I just wanted to sell it.

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
I'll try it again, for some reason the first post won't let me edit. Maybe you will find this useful. Basscliff has a wealth of Suzuki knowledge on his site. Your factory manual is there to download. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
I checked out the owners manual of the GS 1100GL. The picture they show does not look like the bike I had. The engine is not right as it has the round covers over the cams, mine had rectangular. My mike was not 2 tone. It was all black. The side panel did not have a different color centered, it was all black. The seat looks right. It does say GS 1100 L but mine did not have the GS. Biggest difference I see in the pictures of the Owners Manual is that bike is shaft drive, mine was definitely chain driven.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Look in the manual above for your bike, The G models were more touring oriented, two valves per cylinder. I might be wrong but I believe yours with the rectangular covers on the motor were 4 valves per cylinder.

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
It definitely was 4 valves per cylinder. I don't know why that engine is so difficult to find in the 1979 model year. I do know that was the first year for that engine so that could be why. It's almost as if that bike with that engine did not exist. But it did, I owned one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts