Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day - I'm not a first time rider, but haven't had a bike in over a decade now (getting old stinks) and would certainly appreciate any feedback on this.

I have extremely limited funds but have the opportunity to pick up a gorgeous VStar 650 that I can actually afford. Been looking for a bike for well over a year now, so I'm pretty anxious but don't want to be stupid. I also have VERY limited time to make a decision and pull the trigger. If I don't do something in the next 2 weeks, it'll be at least a year before I can try again.

Anyway, I sat on the bike, and it felt great, but couldn't take her for a spin because I had my kids with me.

About me: 5'10" and 210 lbs, 44 yrs old
I won't be on any highways, and if so, only briefly. I commute all of 3 miles and it's on back roads. My "cruises" will also be limited - probably less than an hour at a clip, a few times a week, also mainly back roads and at less than 60 mph. I will occasionally ride 2 up with the wife, who is 5'2" and about 105 lbs.

So do you think the VStar 650 is enough bike for me? I just need something to help me decompress, and as you know, hoping on a rumbling cruiser can really take care of that.

Happy to answer any questions, and am grateful for any feedback.

JP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the bike has under 10,000 miles and visually is in excellent condition. Tires appear to be fairly new, signals/lights/horns work fine. For an extra chunk of money that I don't have, I can buy a warranty from the dealer (1 year) but it's an hour from my house so I doubt I'd bring it back there for work - and if I bought from Craigslist, etc, I wouln't have one. That makes me nervous, but I've read that they're pretty reliable bikes.

Thanks!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
They are reliable motorcycles. For the engine size, they are also big enough to be comfortable.

The only complaint I've heard is that they could use another gear at interstate speeds. They tend to rev pretty high near 70 mph in high gear, but that doesn't hurt anything.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
They do rev high, but they are designed to do that. We had one and put 30,000 trouble free miles on it in a year. I would not mind having another one just for work. You will love it!

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
The only catch with that 650 is highway speeds, especially while loaded up with a passenger and/or luggage. That's not to say it cannot do it, it will cruise at highway speeds. But it is giving you everything it can possibly do in that situation. Don't expect much more power for passing, and the engine will be revving pretty high to keep up the speed. Since you will mostly avoid highways I think this bike will make you quite happy. It loves the lower speeds of back roads and city riding. And it will carry a passenger very acceptably in these situation.

With the low mileage, and if the bike doesn't look abused, I wouldn't worry about no warranty. They are indeed pretty solid bikes. I would really try to get back there and ride the bike, though. Go through each gear to make sure it shifts properly and the engine revs through its range well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I may just do it! I'm not terribly concerned about running at highway speeds - the longest I'll have it at those speeds will be during a 20-30 minute portion of the ride back from the dealership.

I appreciate your time and responses - keep your fingers crossed for me. Can't wait to get riding again :)

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Regardless if you get it or not, stick around here and enjoy the fun and craziness of this forum. I hope you do get it, let us know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Lurch - I won't have much to add, but I will be creeping around, I'm sure.

I'm hoping it works out!

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Used vStar 650's are one of the best bargains out there right now and will be more than adequate for the riding you describe. Max rpm is 7200, at 70 mph the bike is revving 4800 rpms and does it easily. I wouldn't want to run interstate much (and don't) but on secondary roads it's just fine.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I think the RPM at interstate speeds bothers some because they are used to lower-revving V Twins. Many others redline at 5-6K. The 650 is happy cruising along at 5000.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That 650 will do what you want and more.

I'm on a very different bike than that, but still, it's 670cc. I commute several times a week on the highway; 65-75 mph.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum JPR. For an experienced rider that strikes me a nice first bike. I jumped back in on a 1300 cc Yamaha RSTD and was saved by nothing much more than dumb luck.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
The 650 V-Star is a Great Ride .. My Wife Loved hers .. Her only Complaint was that extended periods of Highway Speed in 5th at 65-70 MPH was just didn't seem enough Power, but for up to 60 MPH Back Roading It's Great .

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
That is what I started up on after a 25 year hiatus. Great bike, the only issue I had was 5k at 70 mph. It did it without complaint except from me.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Some people like those high revs though Critter.:D

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Buy it, you won't be disappointed,it's perfect for the riding you want to do. Don't discount it on the highway either, my wife and I both ride them and we have done many 300+ mile a day trips, loaded down with 4-5 days worth of luggage.

I commute 70 miles each way every nice day on mine, 60 of it on the interstate at 70 mph. The engine is humming along at that speed but it's meant to rev high, is happy doing it, and has plenty left, I can wind it up to 90 and pass trucks without any problem whatsoever. Sure a bigger bike might be turning slower and have even more power in reserve but you can definitely ride a vstar 650 on the interstate. For comparison, I'm 5' 9" and about 225.

I have the stock seat and I'm fine with it, my wife hated her seat on long trips though and got a Mustang seat instead, it's like riding in a Barcalounger, so if you don't like the seat there are options, I've heard good things about the Ultimate seat as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I pulled the trigger and got a bike. They sold the one I initially wanted, but had a 2002 vstar with 12,000 miles...in great shape. Solid black, lots of chrome, Vance and Hines pipes and a padded backrest for passengers. New tires were put on this afternoon.

Rode 20 miles on highway home, mostly 70 mph but a bit higher in spots....was a great ride...she sounds great!!!

Thanks for the input!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts