Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm a brand new rider. I got a used 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250r the a couple of weeks ago and literally went on my first ride yesterday.

I have another thread on how I fell and dropped the bike on a turn in another forum so I'll save that for there but this is related...

My issue is I'm starting to think that something is really wrong with the throttle and hence very dangerous. Since I'm new I'm not sure how the throttle is supposed to feel so I need your experienced help.

Today, I went to warm up the bike and play around with the throttle in neutral to see what's going on and why the bike rocketed so fast on a turn the other day.

I was going to ride it to a repair shop this morning to get it checked, but my gut told me this throttle is not right and I shouldn't even ride it again.

I put it in neutral and tested out the throttle over and over.

... So basically, when you put a VERY slight roll it revs to like 7000 RPM'S and takes what seems like forever, like a second and a half to come back down. It just doesn't seem right. Also, the grip itself does not roll back on its own.

I couldn't find a middle ground to get it to rev to like 3,000 RPM's.

I kept testing thinking maybe I'm giving too much throttle, but tried again and made it very soft and still revs super high.

Should a slight roll cause it go so high and shouldn't the RPM's drop fairly fast once you release the throttle?

What do you guys think? or Am I like just a total NEWB? :confused:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I think there is something wrong with the throttle or carbs. The throttle should snap back to idle instantly when released.

·
American Legion Rider
18,510 Posts
If the throttle feels smooth and looks like it is returning but the RPM's are staying high, then I'd say your carb(s) need a good cleaning and adjustment. And you are wise not to try riding it. Just get it to someone that can fix it right or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. But since you are new I'd suggest a dealer so you know it should be done correctly.

·
American Legion Rider
18,510 Posts
Right. So it shouldn't rev so high with just a very slight roll on the throttle?
As Eye_m_no_angel states, nope. The fix can be simple or complex. But you still have not said whether the twist is smooth or if it suddenly jumps because it is binding. It may just need throttle cable lubrication.

It's extremely difficult for anyone to help if you don't give all the information you can. It's all in the details on forums. You have to be our eyes ears and hands. That is also why I suggest you just take it to a dealer since you aren't giving us those little details.

You have to help us help you in other words. Not jumping on you but it could help others as well. Understand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@hogcowboy thanks I really don't have enough experience to know the difference between smooth and binding. But thanks. I'm trying to give as much info as I can.

The grip is loose and then when it grips and catches the throttle with even the slightest roll it zooms to 7k rpm. You let go and it stays there for like a second and comes down very slowly.

Like in a car that just wouldn't make sense. You let go of the gas and the engine should drop right away. And if you tap on the gas the rpms shouldn't sky rocket like that unless you're slamming on the gas pedal.

Since this is my first time on a motorcycle I'm not sure how it's supposed to be.

Like @dodsfall said the fact that once you release the throttle it should snap back and idle right away. That information helps me a lot. It definitely doesn't do that.

I won't ride it like this to someone so I'm trying to get a motorcycle mechanic to come check out the bike.

·
Ace Tuner
1,713 Posts
You are on the right track, have a mechanic take a look.

You should be able to roll the throttle (twist grip) open, let go of the twist grip and have it snap shut quickly every time.
If the bike fell on its right side, it probably jammed the twist grip.
Not hard to fix but being a throttle we shouldn't troubleshoot it from here.
Even if it's just a matter of cable adjustment, same thing.

Don't take any chances with a throttle! Do not ride it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Your throttle should respond just like a car. If you give it very little you should not get a large response and when you let off the engine should return to idle immediately. Can you feel anything like a rough spot when you open the throttle? Maybe it seems to do nothing at first then gives that rapid acceleration. Give us some hints to be able to help you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My gut feeling is you may put the choke on, or partially on. If everything is in its correct position, you may want to send it to a dealer for troubleshooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts