Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to make a very very low budget video on how to do a group ride for my guests at an event I'm putting on in September. Is this group ride tutorial easy to understand if you were a guest at a large group ride ??????? Am I leaving anything out ?????? Is there another safer way to run a group ride without breaking to many laws (as in road blocking) ??????

Last year we had a couple of road blockers that almost got run over and/or shot because of impatient on coming traffic that was not happy we blocked traffic to let our group through.

Video here ----------->https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GpZ5z2p7Nyk

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Can you give a few hints, like how long the video is, a few topics you cover, etc? Might get more clicks that way if people know they're not clicking on a 45 minute video. You know, a "teaser."

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's near 7 minutes.....I apologize, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it faster on my low budget.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey Arentufun, I didn't watch your video all the way through but did drag the cursor right through to the end and I'm happy that you've finally realised the reality of the situation and recognised that Spyders are really cars :biggrin:

Hell, the roads are pretty bad wherever it is that you're holding your group ride, I've seen pieces of cardboard that have a better surface than that!

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
You're making it more complicated then it needs to be. Tony Stewart doesn't need to pull off the road and point everyone to turn in a certain direction. They'll all see signals and a line of Spyders turning ahead of them. Trust me man, I've never wondered which way to go on a group ride. It's obvious as heck.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
hey arentufun, i didn't watch your video all the way through but did drag the cursor right through to the end and i'm happy that you've finally realised the reality of the situation and recognised that spyders are really cars :biggrin:

Hell, the roads are pretty bad wherever it is that you're holding your group ride, i've seen pieces of cardboard that have a better surface than that!
lol!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Tony pulls over and points because the rest don't understand what the flashing lights mean.

Tony has to pull over and point because if you have more than 3 Spyders they are spread out over miles.

For safety Spyder group rides never leave town.

Probably a good idea for a large group with multiple turns in town, but there also needs to be a regroup point outside of town. However if you enter town on hwy 60 and leave town on hwy 60 I'd think even Spyder drivers should be able to read road signs.

Suppose you want to enter town on 32e and leave town on 60e, from outside of town there are routes to take to completely avoid town, and they are way more fun.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah like Eye said, it shouldn't be that complicated. As an upcoming turn approaches the lead rider uses his turn signal AND a hand signal to indicate the upcoming turn. Everyone in the conga line in turn echos that signal notification all the way backwards through the group.

The lead guy is usually in radio contact with the tail gunner, and if the tail gunner indicates to the lead guy that the whole group didn't make the turn, the lead guy will pull over at a safe area with the front group and wait for the rest to catch up.

I've seen "blockers" being used a couple of times to try to gain control of an intersection.. not a good idea unless the blocker is a cop on a cop motorcycle.

I guess I never thought about the fact a formation of trikes is longer than the same # of bikes, because you guys can't ride in a staggered formation, correct?

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Correct, It's usually nose to tale and even 50 Spyders will get spread out over a long long distance...............Headsets will not be in range to speak to each other. Once one person gets screwed up, the whole pack will get screwed up.........

Trying to come up with a way to safely do a group ride without blockers or cops at intersections. I'm sort of in a prediciment, because I have over 200 guests and very few people offering to help on these group rides.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Its that way on anything that requires volunteers. Lots of people want to participate but very few want to do the work or take on the responsibilities. In other fields I am in clubs and find that I end up on the BOD or in another position of responsibility because I am willing to do it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,549 Posts
Make every 10th rider have a communication device, a knowledge of the route, and a GPS with the route on it.

That is what we do with my sports car group.

·
Very Famous Person
9,829 Posts
--

Generally, not real effective. Sorry. Working on a budget has nothing to do with it. Plus, a lot of what riders need to know can be simply on a handout sheet with words.

1. Too many cars in your model
2. Too much detail
3. Too much mention of tailgunner
4. Tony Stewart’s role is unclear. If he’s blocking traffic—not good.
5. What’s the deal with the second in line having to point which way everyone has gone? Everybody can see that.
6. Why Dale Earnhardt? Just say “leader.” Your group isn’t going to remember who was who and are not going to be impressed by your having names for your models unless they’re kids familiar with NASCAR.
7. You are presuming that all traffic lights are on two lane roads. Most are on four lane in which case you couldn’t have the second vehicle move to the right to “signal” which way you were turning.
8. You left out staggering, spacing, moving together, speeds, restroom stops, gas stops, vehicle problems, lunch arrangements, catch-up points, etc.
9. Not good to have a LOT of vehicles in each group. Have smaller groups.
10. Use the suggestions in the links in this thread. They have good ideas.

--

1 - 15 of 15 Posts