Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a sport bike in hopes of purchasing one. (No need for chewing my ear on how beginners don't need a sport bike, unless you feel obliged.) What I've noticed, is that it seems that compared to the KBB retail price everything on ebay, craigslist, and other used motorcycle stores are extremely overpriced. So, does this mean that people are overpricing their bikes, or is KBB off on their pricing? I've tried using Kelly Blue Book's pricing to negotiate a lower price, but 90% of the time the seller just laughs and doesn't consider my offer even if it's $200-$600 over the KBB listing. Any advice on how KBB works and if it is even a good resource to use when buying a motorcycle would be great!

An example that I've seen today is that someone wanted $4800 for a 2006 Honda CBR600 f4i with 12,000 miles. Where KBB says it's only worth about $2600 for the condition it's in.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
KBB can sometimes be SPOT ON and other times, way out of proportion KBB doesn't price in modifications that have been done to a bike. If your looking for a deal on sports bike, wait until it starts getting cold where no one rides, they pop up faster than you can look at them at cheaper prices.

I saw your PM and replied, I'm not going to bore you with the whole beginner thing, my first bike is my Honda CBR 600. Even though it's a Carb'd bike it still can get up and go in the low RPM range. A EFI can deliver its power almost instantly, as opposed to a more linear with a carb until higher RPM's.

So take into account the throttle control, if you have not driven a sports bike you will be immensely surprised your first time driving it at how high the RPM's go with a extremely small movement of your wrist.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I've never paid anywhere close to KBB, always less. It is common knowledge (on these forums, at least) that mods almost never increase the value of a bike unless the mods are something a new buyer wanted to do anyway.

DevRev, I don't think you understand carb vs EFI. Power delivery is not a function of fuel delivery, it is a function of engine design mostly (we're talking like 95% here). Inline-4 engines make their power at high RPMs and at a relatively narrow RPM range. That is one of the things that makes them more dangerous for a new rider. Compared to the power delivery of a v-twin, the inline-4 is like getting hit across the face with a 2X4 when you hit the powerband.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I don't think you understand carb vs EFI. Power delivery is not a function of fuel delivery, it is a function of engine design
Exactly correct.

As far a pricing goes, there is never a true price list since a used bike, and to some extent a new bike will be priced based on demand and supply. Basically, a bike will sell for what people will pay for one.

KBB or NADA is useful as a general guide and possibly as a tool for negotiation. Time of year, the local economic situation, and availability of a certain make or model will play a much bigger role in the actual selling price.

The key is to find a motivated seller who has taken good care of the machine. Sometimes it takes a lot of footwork to find a great deal. The impatient, gullible, or unwary will likely end up paying a premium one way or the other.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
I've never paid anywhere close to KBB, always less. It is common knowledge (on these forums, at least) that mods almost never increase the value of a bike unless the mods are something a new buyer wanted to do anyway.

DevRev, I don't think you understand carb vs EFI. Power delivery is not a function of fuel delivery, it is a function of engine design mostly (we're talking like 95% here). Inline-4 engines make their power at high RPMs and at a relatively narrow RPM range. That is one of the things that makes them more dangerous for a new rider. Compared to the power delivery of a v-twin, the inline-4 is like getting hit across the face with a 2X4 when you hit the powerband.
I have my basic 17-year-old "know it all" mechanic knowledge, but I would like to know more in terms of how different designed the engine is, if you have time, please and thanks. Or if you have a article. I'm here to learn.

I just assumed instead of a carb you had injectors and that was it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
KBB and NADA are good starting points. As others pointed out, they don't take into account any mods that were done; nor do they usually take into account excessively high or low mileage. Get estimates from both sites; then go online and research what similar bikes are going for in your area (I've found Craigslist to be a good place to check for current asking prices). Many dealerships also have their used inventory online; so look there for more input. Once in a while eBay has some listings as well; but those are going to be anywhere in the country, not just in your area.

As for a sportbike not being appropriate for a first-timer, HORSE PUCKEY. I have a Ninja 500R and it is my first bike. It is the PERFECT bike for me. As long as you don't get anything too powerful you should do just fine on a sportbike.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I concur that both Nada and KBB have to be looked at. I usually lean more towards NADA since that seems to be the low ball figure, although when I am selling I will shoot for KBB. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts