Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned I'll be getting 3 days off Thursday-Saturday for my Thanksgiving away from this stupid ass plant turnaround that's been going on. I want to visit my parents on Wednesday night from Texas, drive up to Tulsa (8 hours), and finish the trip in the morning. I've never ridden in the Midwest in this season before. It's below freezing at night, but 40s-50s in the highs, with zero to no chance of precip. I don't want to pay $500 bucks for a plane ticket, and probably end up wasting more of my time waiting for the plane and going door to door between transits.

So. I got a windproof jacket with liners, windproof leather gloves. I'm thinking a good base layer and whatever I can do to keep wind out of the sleeves. A good wind blocking pair of pants (still working on that). As for my bike, I think all the fluids are good. The mpg kind of tanked (49->44) since I cleaned out the FI pump, which was filled with crap, so not sure if that's a problem. New yuasa battery so we're good there. Recently adjusted the chain. Plenty of threads left on the tires. I can't think of anything else that might give me trouble.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I can only assume that freeing up the fuel pump that caused the mpg to go down means that the fuel is running rich, and that there has to be an adjustment in the ECU to tune it back?

For the record, I had a problem with the fuel pump sounding weak on a cold start, and the bike dying on me a few times before the bike would idle. turns out, the fuel pump filter was seeing restrictions. It wasn't a bad pump.

If the fuel is running rich, I'll save that job for springtime, or at least after I return to Texas

I probably need to clean the gas tank, because most of the crap that got into the fuel pump filter was rust. But it's more of a long term problem, and I'll save that for later too. I just don't understand why the bottom looks more rusty than the top. the tank is pretty well insulated from moisture, aside from the drain tubing... unless moisture accumulation in the bottom of a gas tank is a normal thing?

·
6,935 Posts
Before you go north to Kansas or anywhere else, I suggest you peruse NOAA's National weather service website. I use it all of the time.

Right now, 11-24-14, 10AM Central, their Radar report shows storm clouds going right towards the entire state of Kansas and will make it to SW Missouri, where I live also.

Kansas is friendly as is Texas as far as the people go but both states can go from very hot to very cold in a heartbeat. The scenic routes in both states don't have a lot of traffic, especially this time of year so if you break down now, good luck. Cities can be few and far between and some close their doors when the old sun goes down.

The weather here in the heartland is weird: On a Monday a few weeks ago, it was 55 degrees early in the morning and 75 later that afternoon and I went for a very nice breakfast ride of about 100 miles or so. Tuesday morning it was 22 degrees and much the same for the rest of the week.

Like the BOY SCOUTS taught me: Be prepared.

Have a good safe Thanksgiving.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
No mention of chaps or leather riding pants? Gotta have 'em. You need 3 or 4 layers on the legs; I wear tights, jeans, nylon windbreaker pants, and then leather chaps over and I never have to worry about those parts being cold. In fact, they determine how many layers I can shed up top when it warms up.

The only thing that can stop you is the rain. Everything else you can compensate for. If it's sunny out you'll have a memorable Thanksgiving ride.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No mention of chaps or leather riding pants? Gotta have 'em. You need 3 or 4 layers on the legs; I wear tights, jeans, nylon windbreaker pants, and then leather chaps over and I never have to worry about those parts being cold. In fact, they determine how many layers I can shed up top when it warms up.

The only thing that can stop you is the rain. Everything else you can compensate for. If it's sunny out you'll have a memorable Thanksgiving ride.
I don't know if I'll need 3-4 layers, especially if it's coming from a guy in Arizona. I've seen how southerns react to mildly cold weather, and I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of sad.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't know if I'll need 3-4 layers, especially if it's coming from a guy in Arizona. I've seen how southerns react to mildly cold weather, and I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of sad.
In that case you're all set, take off and let us know when you get back how it went.

I've noticed a whole bunch of things, but since I'm a cold weather wussy I wouldn't bother you with such nonsense.

Non-weather related, I wouldn't take off on a bike that has FI problems.

·
Nightfly
4,029 Posts
I make it a point to never ride in very cold weather. Having said that, the other morning I was forced to ride about an hour in 17 degree weather. A pair of standard Harley leather boots with 2 pair of socks, good pair of jeans with insulated long johns underneath. T-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, 2 sweatshirts, one with hoodie and a Harley leather jacket, with Harley insulated gloves. Helmet, not full face and sun glasses. I was good to go, no problem. But I will never do it again, man I hate the cold weather....

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I make it a point to never ride in very cold weather. Having said that, the other morning I was forced to ride about an hour in 17 degree weather. A pair of standard Harley leather boots with 2 pair of socks, good pair of jeans with insulated long johns underneath. T-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, 2 sweatshirts, one with hoodie and a Harley leather jacket, with Harley insulated gloves. Helmet, not full face and sun glasses. I was good to go, no problem. But I will never do it again, man I hate the cold weather....
Pretty much what I wear to get to work in the final days before the bike is put away. To me the deal breaker would be if I had no heated grips... as long as my hands are not freezing, I'm OK. I rode last week for a few minutes with my grips off to see and my hands were freezing within 5 minutes WITH the insulated gloves. Turned that baby back on and was all good within 2 minutes :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that case you're all set, take off and let us know when you get back how it went.

I've noticed a whole bunch of things, but since I'm a cold weather wussy I wouldn't bother you with such nonsense.

Non-weather related, I wouldn't take off on a bike that has FI problems.
been riding for a few weeks since the FI problem got fixed, and have not had any issues with it, aside from a few glitches that worked themselves out when I first started the bike after just getting done fixing it,

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Keep a close eye on the weather. I live a bit East of KS and was riding in 55 degree weather a couple of days ago. Today there was rain and snow flurries with a daytime high of about 33. At least the wind had died down to 25 with gusts of only 35. Here, Wednesday before Thanksgiving is predicted to be a rain/snow mix near freezing with Thursday and Friday even colder. Saturday they are talking about temperatures back up into the 40s and clear skies. I don't know what you are used to, but in the midwest the forecast can change very quickly. If you stay on your toes you should be alright.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
The wind ALWAYS sux in Kansas, we went through areas where you felt like you were being bead blasted at times with this nasty large grain sand. We even went as far as to divert into Missouri last year to avoid Kansas. There just isn't much I've seen that makes me want to ride through if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USKS0639:1:US

yea you're right. i don't see any precip which is the big thing. and weather like this shouldn't create any ice. I grew up in iowa, but i've never experienced 80 mph wind chills. thats why i posted here
take a quick look at the "today" weather in your link....Tues. night has a good chance of snow/rain late....looking ahead is fine, but you really need to look at the next 36 hours (Hourly) and or the "Today" sections....one thing about MO and KS weather is the forecast changes about every 8 hours

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
/Snicker

So, what kind of tights? We talking Peter Pan, Renaissance fair or some kind of Under Armor?
They're all pretty much the same regardless of whether they're marketed as "Running Tights" or whatever. UnderArmor just charges 4X for theirs. And Pete just prefers green...lol.

Actually silks are the very best. Well worth the $100. Thin AND slippery so you don't feel "bundled."

A lot of folks don't understand insulation. It's the AIR that gets trapped BETWEEN layers that keeps you warm and reduces heat loss.

Tights trap the innermost layer of air against your legs.

So you alternate layers, windproof, and thick/poofy layers, like thermal underwear with the pleated weaving, with the final OUTER layer always being doubly windproof --- either leather, Goretex, even PVC rainwear.

The challenge is layering WITHOUT it all getting too thick, feeling like you're the Michelin Man. That's why tights work great and sweat pants FAIL so miserably.

That and knee-high wool socks. Nehi's will CHANGE YOUR LIFE, lol!

Ski magazines always focus about the "core," the "torso" and layering it. But they're not dealing with 60 mph of windchill. Keeping the legs/feet TOASTY allows you to adjust your CORE temperature easily by adding/taking off jackets, vests, windbreakers, neck gators, gloves, balaclava etc. Stuff up top that's easy to put on/off, and stow.

A windbreaker and a down vest are my "extra" layers I keep in my saddlebags for when things get MUCH colder than I planned for. That and rain gear, which can provide one additional, FINAL layer to keep me warm..even if it's not raining.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"I just don't understand why the bottom looks more rusty than the top. the tank is pretty well insulated from moisture, aside from the drain tubing... unless moisture accumulation in the bottom of a gas tank is a normal thing?"

Water is heavier then fuel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
nevermind, I wussed out. gonna drive there instead. I got up in the last two mornings early to go to work, and decided it's not worth it.

plus, with a car, I can just go to a rest area and sleep in my car, while I would need a hotel if I'm riding. Going to drive up right after work tonight to a rest area, and finish the rest of the trip tomorrow morning. it's gonna be totally dark the whole time, so I doubt it would've been memorable.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
nevermind, I wussed out. gonna drive there instead. I got up in the last two mornings early to go to work, and decided it's not worth it.

plus, with a car, I can just go to a rest area and sleep in my car, while I would need a hotel if I'm riding. Going to drive up right after work tonight to a rest area, and finish the rest of the trip tomorrow morning. it's gonna be totally dark the whole time, so I doubt it would've been memorable.
Oh it would have been memorable.

I'm glad you decided against it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts